Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Close Encounter of the 4th Kind

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:05 PM

Close Encounter of the 4th Kind

Well I don't know which forum was best to post this but I felt I needed to write
something because I was extremely impressed with a 2010 SS that I happened to run against on the street. I don't endorse street racing unless it is absolutely
necessary.
Now I have an '02 Mustang GT with a brand new small block, mild cams that were matched for nitrous so they work against me because of my blower. I have every imaginable bolt on. The heads are stock but that would only get me 15 more hp which to me doesn't mean much.I got 4:10's and full exhaust. I'm also tuned.
Please, I am not bragging but I run Nitto DR on the street but they don't seem to help much at the track or on the street. If I punch my car going anything less
than say 25-30 mph, I risk losing the rear end. And when the car regains traction, it can snap me into the next lane.
So on a main street with just a minimum amount of space but enough to let us both know how we faired together, on the third honk, all hell broke loose.
I don't know how they get these powerful cars to stick, but I can't imagine putting anymore hp to the street without losing traction. Well my car hooked
and when we peaked at one gear and started going into the next, I had to shutdown because of traffic coming on.
And as sure one could see, when we peaked on one grear and started building on the next, we were *exactly* even. So I'm over in my car thinking, wow, someone actually survived my sweet spot.How could anyone have that kind of HP when if anymore was added to my car, it would turn into wheel spin?
I'm sure he was thinking what the heck a Mustang was doing next to him after how his car took off so radically as we did.
Now this is not some BS. This is a true story. I have no idea which SS it was. What tranny it had, what work it had done. I assume it was stock. In that case,
*ANYONE WHO HAS A CAMARO SS SHOULD NOT BE DEPRESSED"
Now I do have an auto but it has a competition valve body.

Oh so the race. Before we ran out of space, it looked like it was going to be one of those high speed races in which someone gets walked.

About the track, just in case there are people who don't know, to 60' time really dictates how well the pass is going to go. But from what I am seeing for top speed, I would say that from 108 to 110mph top speed should be more than enough to get mid to low 12's if you get your 60' under say 1.7.
When you get your top speed to around 112-115, with a good 60', your talking 11's for sure.
But concentrate on keeping the spin down which mean lowering your 60' and
you will be pleased. I guarantee you starting to see mid to low 12's if you get up to 110mph.
Now I have a question for you guys. Over in the Mustang World, we always consider the factory advertised hp rating as the hp made at the fly wheel.
Therefore we expect our rwhp to be about 15% lower than what the factory and magazines say. Is that how you rate your hp. Do you rate flywheel hp and expect lower dyno numbers?
Thanks for listening. The new Camaros are beasts. It blows my mind that they let a car, especially at such a good price, out of the factory that is so darn fast!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by MustangMan
I don't endorse street racing unless it is absolutely necessary.
Define "Necessary".
Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 PM

nec·es·sary (nes′ə ser′ē)
adjective
that cannot be dispensed with; essential; indispensable: the nutriments necessary to life
resulting from necessity; inevitable: a necessary result
that must be done; mandatory; not voluntary
not free to choose; compelled by circumstances: a necessary agent
inherent in the situation; undeniable; unavoidable from the premises
ARCHAIC rendering some essential and intimate service.

Having said that, I did not come here to attract egos. I came here to share something that I experienced so that you might learn something about your cars from a real world experience.
I came hear to share with you an experience that I had and generally to make some people real happy that own Camaro SS's . The car is a beast and I met one close up and personal.
I also,even though I own a Mustang, am friendly and I remember seeing the earliest Camaro SS's when they were new. Yes that's right. I'm not only friendly but I am freaking old too.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:37 AM

Not a bad pull. It sounds like you have some serious mods. Yes, the new SSs are serious kick-butt cars. A little heavy for dragging, imo, but that's not to say that I don't appreciate them. Just out of curiosity, what kind of HP are you looking at with your car? I know the SS is something like 426HP at the flywheel, if I remember correctly.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 AM

Lot of things about your car don't add up.

You have an automatic with a blower and 410s?????????????????? And head work on a 2 valve will pick up much more than 10HP even at the wheels. Running stock 2 valve heads with a built shortblock? No mention of a stall,type of auto(stock wouldn't last long on that car),compression ratio,what type of blower and how much boost or other drivetrain upgrades.

Only SS 5th gen that runs worth a damn is a 6 speed and its at best a high 12 sec car at about 109-110 MPH on good air. A blown 2 valve with a built motor can be a high 10 second car with enough boost and trap over 120 MPH.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike 92LX
Lot of things about your car don't add up.

You have an automatic with a blower and 410s?????????????????? And head work on a 2 valve will pick up much more than 10HP even at the wheels. Running stock 2 valve heads with a built shortblock? No mention of a stall,type of auto(stock wouldn't last long on that car),compression ratio,what type of blower and how much boost or other drivetrain upgrades.

Only SS 5th gen that runs worth a damn is a 6 speed and its at best a high 12 sec car at about 109-110 MPH on good air. A blown 2 valve with a built motor can be a high 10 second car with enough boost and trap over 120 MPH.
He said he had a brand new small block, which sounds like just a stock replacement. Nitrous cams on a blown motor and stock heads. Considering 2V's rarely broke 100mph in the 1/4, he could just be running a full bolt on 4.6 with a 6psi blower on it. Considering the heads are stock, and assuming this is somewhat close to his setup, he'd be lucky to break 400hp at the crank.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Ive personally beat 5 of the new SS camaros. digs, rolls, etc etc etc. they are quick, but to damn heavy.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1slow93z28
Ive personally beat 5 of the new SS camaros. digs, rolls, etc etc etc. they are quick, but to damn heavy.
Nice signature there 1slow93z28 ... "why LT1" BRILLIANT!!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 PM

*ANYONE WHO HAS A CAMARO SS SHOULD NOT BE DEPRESSED"
Pffft - I would never be depressed owning any Camaro...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 AM

" I don't endorse street racing unless it is absolutely
necessary." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 07-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

I don't endorse street racing unless it is absolutely necessary.
I love this.

Now I have an '02 Mustang GT with a brand new small block, mild cams that were matched for nitrous so they work against me because of my blower. I have every imaginable bolt on. The heads are stock but that would only get me 15 more hp which to me doesn't mean much.I got 4:10's and full exhaust. I'm also tuned.
Please, I am not bragging but I run Nitto DR on the street but they don't seem to help much at the track or on the street. If I punch my car going anything less
than say 25-30 mph, I risk losing the rear end. And when the car regains traction, it can snap me into the next lane.
It sounds to me like you have traction issues. Too much gear and not enough suspension for your mods maybe? ~400hp and 4.10 gears is tough to handle on a stock SN95 suspension. I'm no Mustang expert, but you don't just strap on a blower and some sticky tires, throw in some gears, and expect it to hook.

I don't know how they get these powerful cars to stick, but I can't imagine putting anymore hp to the street without losing traction.
The 2010-2011 Camaro SS is substantially heavier than your car, with a far more rigid chassis, and an independent rear suspension that has been engineered to handle substantially more horsepower than the car has from the factory. The summer-only rear tires are nice and wide, too.

Now I have a question for you guys. Over in the Mustang World, we always consider the factory advertised hp rating as the hp made at the fly wheel.
Therefore we expect our rwhp to be about 15% lower than what the factory and magazines say. Is that how you rate your hp. Do you rate flywheel hp and expect lower dyno numbers?
The factory and magazines always report bhp, which stands for brake horsepower. That's horsepower measured by a brake dyno at the flywheel (it has nothing to do with the car's brakes).

Chassis dynos report horsepower at the wheels, after some horsepower has been lost to inertia and friction in the transmission and drivetrain. This is generally between 10 and 20% lower than bhp, depending on the details of the drivetrain.

This is no different in any part of the automotive community -- Mustangs, Camaros, Hondas, Subarus -- it's all the same.

It blows my mind that they let a car, especially at such a good price, out of the factory that is so darn fast!
Then you should be really blown away by the even-faster 2011 Mustang GT!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by hozb817
Nice signature there 1slow93z28 ... "why LT1" BRILLIANT!!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 PM

LOL!

You guys crac me up...