Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 03:14 PM

Can I do this?

ok so my dad has a 03 cobra that just sits there in the garage and he thinks its the best car ever made on the face of the earth. I just got my 99 Trans Am WS6 M6 like 1 week ago and I really want to able to make this car faster than this stupid ford. (even tho as soon as he realizes im trying to beat his car he will mod his but i still wanna beat his "stock" car)

My question is can I do this Naturally Aspired?
So far all i got is SLP LM Exhaust, SLP Short Shifter, and an SLP Lid, I still got about 3 grand left to spend on this car, what mods should I do next? whats the most hp for the cash?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:19 PM

Re: Can I do this?

Long tubes would be a great start. Get the pacesetter coated ones, they offer the most for the money and flow great. This is the most important mod to do.

Some drag radials and 4.10:1 gears would be a GREAT addition to your car.

You can do this n/a, but adding some nitrous would make it a walk in the park. For $1000 you can have a KILLER nitrous system- from a purge kit to a bottle heater- all the good stuff. Or, you could do a cam swap for around the same money.

Good luck,
Ben T.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:26 PM

I'd do a set of long tubes and a cam swap. Then go peal the skin off daddy's snake
Old 09-04-2005, 08:09 PM

yep...i agree with most of what is mentioned...

headers
gears
tires
cam swap

you could get away with something as small as the TR224 and probably still take the cobra. or could do the "go big or go home" and step up to something like the futral F14 or the TSP Torquer. both of which should get you close to 400hp at the wheels.

but realize you will probably need a new clutch soon after. stock won't hold that much power.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 PM

Just hope he doesnt do a s/c pulley...
Old 09-04-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by slayer6x6
Just hope he doesnt do a s/c pulley...

Then he better hope the LS1 doesn't get a cam AND nitrous. I see your point though. For little $ the snake can start to wake up.

Ben
Old 09-05-2005, 12:42 AM

Yea, pulley and CAI will put those well over 400 at the wheels.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:13 AM

I have Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance tires are those sticky enough?

So I guess long tubes is my next upgrade followed by a cam im not so sure if i want 4.10s for now ill just try this and see how it compares.

Yeah he will prolly get a pulley as soon as he notices that my car is close to his but thats ok

I would love to get nittrous but i dunno know i just rather have all the n/a first then after that ill dyno it and take it to the track and see what managed to get out of the ol n/a 5.7
Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 AM

You can mod to be faster...but remember he can throw on a few inexspensive mods and be outta reach of you without some decent coin dropped. The newer Cobras put down some serious numbers w/ so little...Bolt ons wont be enough...Cause soon as he does 1 or 2 mods your done..Eventually you'll need some type of FI depending on what mods he does, or a good heads & cam...He can be putting down 450-475 rwhp w/ not much at all...and your average LS1 puts down 300-315 so you'll have a ways to go...but if he decides to keep it stock your good w/ bolt ons/heads/cam
Old 09-05-2005, 09:24 AM

Lightbulb Re: Can I do this?

Originally Posted by ffire
I just got my 99 Trans Am WS6 M6 like 1 week ago and I really want to able to make this car faster than this stupid ford.
Before you throw any money at your car, go to your local 1/4-mile track and learn to drive it to its fullest potential.

That's your best first mod.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:51 AM

I have Nitto NT 555 Extreme Performance tires are those sticky enough?

So I guess long tubes is my next upgrade followed by a cam im not so sure if i want 4.10s for now ill just try this and see how it compares.

Yeah he will prolly get a pulley as soon as he notices that my car is close to his but thats ok

I would love to get nittrous but i dunno know i just rather have all the n/a first then after that ill dyno it and take it to the track and see what managed to get out of the ol n/a 5.7
Change the motor mounts to polyurathaine when you have the manifolds off cause the y pipe WILL hit the floor if you don't.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:46 PM

"Change the motor mounts to polyurathaine when you have the manifolds off cause the y pipe WILL hit the floor if you don't."

that is 100% the truth!!! TOTAL preventative maintenance...but it will save you ALOT of headaches.

and as far as the cobra making 450+ hp at the wheels...yeah...but can it hook up?

with the touchy nature of the IRS on the cobras, i'd be willing to bet a 400hp camaro, with proper suspension and good tires would eat it alive.
it depends on if you want a dyno queen or a steet/track performer.

i agree though...learn how to drive it...you'd be suprised how well you'll hold against a superior hp car if you can drive better than they can.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:58 PM

Cam, Valve Springs, Pushrods, Clutch, Headers, ls6 intake, ported throttle, ASP pulley, 4.10 gears, and Nitto Drag radials. This can all be done for around 3000ish with labor. A pullied cobra will have a very hard time keeping up with a good tuned cammed ls1. I know from experience
Old 09-05-2005, 06:31 PM

forget the $300 and 3hp you'd gain from the TB and the Pulley....

but yeah...that would be a lethal combination, and depending on the cam, a good snake charmer
Old 09-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned

ok so my dad has a 03 cobra that just sits there in the garage and he thinks its the best car ever made on the face of the earth. I just got my 99 Trans Am WS6 M6 like 1 week ago and I really want to able to make this car faster than this stupid ford. (even tho as soon as he realizes im trying to beat his car he will mod his but i still wanna beat his "stock" car)

My question is can I do this Naturally Aspired?
So far all i got is SLP LM Exhaust, SLP Short Shifter, and an SLP Lid, I still got about 3 grand left to spend on this car, what mods should I do next? whats the most hp for the cash?

Don't listen to anyone here, just sell your WS6 and buy a Civic.
Then, talk to GotBoost on here. Then = win.
True story........