Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Basically stock LT-1 Z28 turns 7.36 in the 1/8th

Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Basically stock LT-1 Z28 turns 7.36 in the 1/8th

Well, last night was the first race "night" that the Rain and the drive train merged into cooperation...

The only thing that we've changed since the last run, which saw us put down a personal best of 7.52 (1/8th) were the rear calipers...

So my friend and Son-in-Law Chris get signed in, slap on the Mickey's pull the lids off the dumps; set the tire pressure and we take her out for the first run... where she delivers a respectable run, but the first pass is always off the beam as the PCM gets used to the open exhaust and such...

We roll back into the pits, to let her cool down; temps at the track aren't horrible considering, but it's freakin' HOT...

We find that there are several F-bodies running, the upper end are running mid 8s... and then one 98-99ish TA stages up and sets a 7.60...

We're IN! That's our guy... gonna be a good night! Two F-bodies beatin' on each other running within a few hundredths... the towers gonna love it and this is going to be great.

So I crack open the Nano-system, close the lid and stage up to get this thing going... 'cause I know I'm gonna run a 7.5x-7..6x and the tower is gonna demand a grudge match and oh what fun...

Kids...

I stalled her up just slightly, just enough to preload and when the 3rd yellow crackled, I slammed the hammer... the Car EXPLODED out of the whole... the front end lept off the ground (Chris swears it was a foot which carred for 12-15 ft) and as I pass the score board... I couldn't believe my eyes... but I wanted to so bad that it wasn't that hard, to be honest...

Here's what the slip-gal handed me a minute later:

Name:  ZTimeslips7367-11-2009-1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  18.9 KB

I dunno... All I did was change the rear calipers... and the launch technique differed slightly... But 2/10ths?

That launch was the best 60' of the night and possibly ever... but she trapped nearly 93 on several passes... I can't find the slip, but we had one 92.95.

It turns out that I have a slow leak on the driver-side slick and the passenger had ballooned to 23lbs, while the driver side remained at roughly 18... So I spent a number of passes, mismatched... with that side breaking loose... which set us into the 7.6xs... but when I equalized them, we ended up back in the 7.3xs for the last two passes; with the second to the last pass at a 7.39 and the last pass 7.37...
Old 07-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Nice times. But don't think for a second that a cammed and sprayed car with a bunch of bolt-ons, gears and locker and barely DOT legal tires is "basically stock"
Old 07-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Great times.

But this "basically stock" Mustang has you beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZU6CbwN4gE
Old 07-15-2009, 04:39 PM

I saw a basically stock Lt1 run 8s.

Big Rick was his name. Pretty sweet time for "basically stock."
Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 PM

LOL... Thanks fellas...

The long block is running the same gear it was built with...

The thing is that not long ago I was chatting it up with a couple of 8 second speedsters and told them I was driving a modified Z28, laying out the mods in the sig... And oddly enough, I got the exact opposite reaction from them... 'Man... that thing is basically stock...'

So it's a perspective thing...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by OVA1
The long block is running the same gear it was built with...
A long block includes the valvetrain.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
A long block includes the valvetrain.
Which would include the stock valves... right?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Retired

That car isn't even remotely close to "basically stock"

"Basically stock" is a car with a catback and a maybe a CAI -- some people might even consider headers as "basically stock" on stock tires, stock drivetrain, stock gears, stock suspension.

1996 Z28 -160K miles; Basically Stock LT-1: Comp 466: 218/224-565/570 cam; 1.6 RRs; Full 1-7/8Exhaust, Dual cutouts Yank SS3600-Perfomabuilt Lvl-2 tranny; ET Streets; 4.10s Best: 1/8th: 7.36/1.58 60' 91.95mph Nano-Nitrous 50 Shot full interior, adjustable TCA; Hotchkis LCAs; Eaton D. Locker; all the obligatory bolt ons.

A car with an engine that has been opened up, a cam put in, full exhaust, big stall, built tranny, big gear, bunch of suspension parts, non-street-legal tires (last time I checked ET Streets said "not intended for highway use"), and NITROUS is no where in the same galaxy as being stock.

Maybe stock-eliminator.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Which would include the stock valves... right?
Yup. It includes springs and camshaft too. They're not stock. The valvetrain is not stock. The engine is not stock. Not basically, not somewhat, not no how.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:49 PM

ROFL...

Hey, I hear ya... but run that list by the guys running built short blocks, monster heads/intake, tube chassis and so on...

You've got your opinion and they've got theirs and I can tell ya... my experience tends towards they're opinon being 'Damn boy that thing's basically stock...'

It is what it is... and whether you think it's basically stock or not has to do with what side of the mod line you happen to be standing on at the time.

But with that said, I tend to agree with ya... I just thought it was funny that when the bracket speedsters said it was 'basically stock' so I thought I'd trot it out and see who saluted.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Nice times. But don't think for a second that a cammed and sprayed car with a bunch of bolt-ons, gears and locker and barely DOT legal tires is "basically stock"
Yea really...that things no where near stock
Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Antz97ZNJ
Yea really...that things no where near stock
No where near, perhaps... but still 'basically' stock.

The New-2-U ported Lt-4 intake is in... to go with the 287cfm/600 ported Lt-4 heads...

So rest easy fellas... we're departing 'basically stock' for 'more or less stock' in the fairly near future.

Feel better?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Retired

No where near, perhaps... but still 'basically' stock.

The New-2-U ported Lt-4 intake is in... to go with the 287cfm/600 ported Lt-4 heads...

So rest easy fellas... we're departing 'basically stock' for 'more or less stock' in the fairly near future.

Feel better?
No, because it's still not even close to being stock.

heads/intake/cam/stall/exhaust? Did that car come with 450-500 horsepower?

NOT STOCK.
NO HOW.
NO WAY.
NOT EVEN CLOSE.

(regardless of what a buncha old turds who own racecars say about your car)

Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kraest
No, because it's still not even close to being stock.

heads/intake/cam/stall/exhaust? Did that car come with 450-500 horsepower?

NOT STOCK.
NO HOW.
NO WAY.
NOT EVEN CLOSE.

(regardless of what a buncha old turds who own racecars say about your car)

Noooo... Not "Stock;" of course not... who could even suggest such?

But 'basically stock'... sure. Stock is... well... "Stock." Basically stock is stock, basically... stock crank, rods, piston size and stroke, heads, valves... gutted interiors... with a sheet metal dash... and SURE... You mod THOSE THINGS and OH! You've departed from stock in a big way.

Modest little 'baby-cams,' headers, dumps, stall, gears, locking-carriers, EWP, CAI... delete a few non-essentials... add a little 50 shot of juice... nothing much modded there; you're still basically stock.

Now the guys with strokers, H/C, major chassis mods... They've departed the any form of stock... basically or otherise.

PARACHUTES! Now if you need a parachute to help stop your car... You're not stock! Same with roll cages and wheely-bars; again... this assumes one actually NEEDS 'em... I mean if one stuck a parachute, roll cage and wheely-bar on a basically stock ride... that wouldn't make ya an 8 second monster... just a dousche-bag...

Last edited by OVA1; 08-14-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 AM

Not stock, misleading thread title.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Basically stock LT-1 Z28 turns 7.36 in the 1/8th