Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Americans at WAR: CTS-V 2009 vs. WS6 LT1 1996'

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:47 PM

Americans at WAR: CTS-V 2009 vs. WS6 LT1 1996'

Well, more tales from the crypt (Dallas)

An American revolution on the streets of D-town, a NEW foot-soldier from the bowels of Cadillac's. It's rare when a dime-piece like the CTS-V graces a WS6 LT1 with a shot at its crown
Certainly no-one would have expected running into a brand new CTS-V (556 hp) 2009 model all BLACK (gangsta). I'm running along Preston / 289 for those that know the road on the way to Frisco. I'm just enjoying the evening (perfect weather (70 and breezy)) when I look in my rear view mirror and notice a unique set of stacked headlights with a vertical LED marker. It peaks my interest immediately, thinking this could be something tasty, I start to allow myself to be crept up on over the next 1/2 mile. The car finally gets beside me and I give it the tell-tale goose from 4th gear. He responds with a snappy return of exhaust note, as we pull up to the light I move to the inner left lane and he follows right behind me. I'm sure at this point he is going to try and roll-me from the back when I pull away from the light (just instinct) . I pull away slowly in first and shift to second lazily, and I start to move over into the middle lane to accelarate. Quickly I jump on it through 2nd and a portion of 3rd, and I see him follow suit.

We both get side by side and start playing around a little bit, definitely one mean looking car. Both cars pull up to the light and I roll down the window and say " Is that the NEW bad boy ? ", he responds " Maybe, with a smirk " We both kind of laugh and he states it's a new 2009 with (CORSA ?) exhaust ! I respond with " do you want to go from a roll in first when the light goes green ? " Trying to give him a little help with his 4300 curb weight against my 315/30/18 BFG's. If we went from a dig I think it would have been a little unfair ? He agrees to do the first gear roll (stating his car is a pig @ 4300 lbs) to make the race very interesting. Rolling along in first gear @ 3200 rpm's, LT1 is ready to make love to the T56 ! I count it off, 1, 2, 3........Kaboom ! Civil war cannons sounded off from the BIG V as we both gnaw at the serrated concrete ! The LT1 nose starts across his battlefield to the middle of his door and by the top of 1st gear 6200 rpm's, I pull the nose just about two feet in front of his headlights. Another volley of instrumental bliss comes from both cars shifting into 2nd, as the LT1 grabs and bites at the thick concrete I manage to put the tail-lights to the middle of his passenger door. The V is worked into a frenzied pace of piston slapping firepower, making the inevitable shift into 3rd gear (LT1 just screaming out-loud with the Corsa exhaust & LT's) spelling the demise of the race. Climbing through 3rd gear, I notice the CTS-V starting to make its way back up my body-line. We both are locked in wheel to wheel combat at this point and the LT1 does not want to go down without a fight, but to no avail. He works his nose to the back of my front tire around my 6000 rpm shift into 4th.

All I can think of at this point is deafining tone from the V right in my window as he starts to creep past me in the top of 4th gear. I shut it down at 6000 rpm's in 4th only to see my nose at his back rear tire. All in all, the LT1 had a great showing against this monster ! We talked for a minute at the next stoplight (complimenting each others cars, I gave up heavy props on his new car ) He even went so far as to say " Your car runs extremely hard-core " I don't think he expected a LT1 car to run that good ! In retro-spect, had we went from a stand still I think I might have been able to do a little better, but not much. Either way, a great way to end a beautiful evening

Home you enjoyed the story (forgive the colorful writing )
Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM

You sir, should write a book! lol. Either way nice story, sad to see that a 500+hp engine is barely out-doing the LT1 though.. Impressive for the LT1 for sure!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM

He was starting to swallow me pretty good at the top of my 4th gear (6100 rpm's). If I had shifted into 5th it would have started to get real ugly for me.