Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

03 Cobra...do I even stand a chance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:15 PM

03 Cobra...do I even stand a chance?

This guy down the street keeps buzzing my house...doing late night burnouts and being a real pest in his new 03 Cobra. It was getting to the point where I was just goning to beat his a** into the ground, but, the other day while I was outside changing oil on my car he stopped. Told him I didn't care for his late night drive by's and he was pretty cool about it (didn't know that I had kids in the house). Anyway we checked out each other's cars...his has no mods 4.6 blower, black and very nice! He dsaid he was looking forward to beating on some Camaro's and Vette's.....true Chevy hater. I told him that mine ran pretty good, but when he realized it was an LT1 and not a LS1 he pretty much blew me off. I have not been to track with my car but I have street raced it a lot (did I just say that ) and I've won some and lost some against LS1's. I want to put this guy in his place, but do I even stand a chance? And by the , YES I can drive.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:56 PM

Thumbs up

There's always a chance. A properly driven '03/'04 is a mid-12 second car, but you've got exhaust, a cam, bolt-ons and are those DR's in your sig? So you're probably already damn close to a 12-second car right now...and you're on a sticky tire.
Crack his @ss, that'll stop the late night shenanigans.
Just like any other car, some guys can drive an '03/'04 Cobra, some can't.
S.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Snorman
There's always a chance. A properly driven '03/'04 is a mid-12 second car, but you've got exhaust, a cam, bolt-ons and are those DR's in your sig? So you're probably already damn close to a 12-second car right now...and you're on a sticky tire.
Crack his @ss, that'll stop the late night shenanigans.
Just like any other car, some guys can drive an '03/'04 Cobra, some can't.
S.
Well said. You could always do some more mods before you run him...
Old 06-08-2004, 09:03 PM

If you don't blow the launch it'll be dang close. Just race him and let us know what happens.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:52 PM

juice it and take the checkers..
Old 06-08-2004, 11:11 PM

Race him now before he has a chance to do anything to it. I bumped into my first modded Cobra over the weekend and, ... uhh ... let's just say it's time for headers and a 50 shot.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:57 PM

Well...its on for this weekend. I'll do a plug and oil change before then but that's about it.....I'll let you know what happens.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:00 AM

You almost always stand a chance.

The thing I don't really love about highway rolls is that there's no real test of driving skill. It's just about HP, gearing, and drag coefficient. Mostly car, not much driver. Cool for what it is, but it's all kind of slo-mo in a way.

If you have driving chops, pick a race that uses them. Your odds of beating an average driver in what "should-have-been" a faster car go waaaaay up if he actually has to get a great lauch and nail his shifts. Even if he's an auto, his shift points and accelerator control will need to be good. I say race from a dead stop, completely ignore the dude, and execute as flawlessly as possible, focused totally on your car. He can have a .5 second faster car and still blow it in a hurry if he can't really drive or even if he's just a tad too busy watchin' you.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:35 AM

Can you say N2o? :hint: :hint:

Not saying you will need it....... Just in case
Old 06-09-2004, 09:58 AM

It will be close, but if he can drive well he will probably edge you out.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:31 AM

If you can hook i think you will be able to take him or it will be really close. Those cars have traction problems on the street with street tires. He probably just recently got the car since it isn't modded and he is probably still learning how to launch it. So that may help you out a lot.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:07 PM

I'de say its a drivers race.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:18 PM

Assuming he really isnt that great of a driver and the average 03 runs 12.8-13.1, I'm sure you could edge him out for a win. It will definitely come down to the driving. That will decide the winner.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:24 PM

Heat those radials up and run him from a dig, you should be able to hold him off through 110 with those mods I'd say assuming of course the kid is mediocre behind the wheel.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:18 PM

Re: 03 Cobra...do I even stand a chance?

Originally posted by whatsup
This guy down the street keeps buzzing my house...doing late night burnouts and being a real pest in his new 03 Cobra. It was getting to the point where I was just goning to beat his a** into the ground, but, the other day while I was outside changing oil on my car he stopped. Told him I didn't care for his late night drive by's and he was pretty cool about it (didn't know that I had kids in the house). Anyway we checked out each other's cars...his has no mods 4.6 blower, black and very nice! He dsaid he was looking forward to beating on some Camaro's and Vette's.....true Chevy hater. I told him that mine ran pretty good, but when he realized it was an LT1 and not a LS1 he pretty much blew me off. I have not been to track with my car but I have street raced it a lot (did I just say that ) and I've won some and lost some against LS1's. I want to put this guy in his place, but do I even stand a chance? And by the , YES I can drive.
You think you have it bad there are 3 new cobras down my street that I know of and are constantly cruising by in 2nd gear winding it up, But I have never yet been able to race any of them, I kinda think there avoiding me

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra...do I even stand a chance?