Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

wrecked and now i keep hearing a whining sound from the read end

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 AM

wrecked and now i keep hearing a whining sound from the read end

i have a 99 firebird formula and last week i was on the freeway and it had been snowing a little bit, i didnt know the bridge was already froze over and soon after going over it i spun around a couple times and the rear of my car by the tail light hit the concrete median. it could have been a lot worse than it was i have to replace the fender, tail light and some body work to the rear quarter panel. now when the rpms get higher i smell gas fumes so im just going to get a whole new exhaust which ive been wanting to do anyway.

sometimes i hear a whining sound coming from the rear end, it doesnt do it a lot it just starts for about 5 seconds randomly then quits, does anyone have any idea on this this could be?

Last edited by bambl; 12-05-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Re: wrecked and now i keep hearing a whining sound from the read end

Its a little hard to tell from what you've posted, but if you whacked the driver's side rear fender, the fuel evap cannister is in there and it collects fumes from the gas tank until the engine can burn them. So if that is damaged, the fumes can be coming from there assuming you are talking about raw gas smell and not exhaust fumes. If your exhaust was busted, it would probably be noisier than it was before. The other thing is that if you whacked the wheel on that side, maybe you messed up an axle bearing or something related to the axle or differential bearings is now damaged or loose. The rear ends in these cars are weak anyway and if it has a lot of miles, it could be related to age and wear as well.