Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

When to replace shocks ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:37 AM

When to replace shocks ?

Probably should have asked this question first.The car has 37,000 miles on it.Is it time to replace shocks?
Old 02-10-2006, 12:00 PM

Re: When to replace shocks ?

Had my originals on for 95,000 miles...... Unless they are leakings or worn
Old 02-10-2006, 04:58 PM

The stock shocks are just OK. I had one of my DeCarbons start leaking fluid at 45K miles. Upgrading your shocks will to a lot to improve handing.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:47 PM

I had my stock shocks for a LONG time and they were still good when I replaced them. BUT it was night and day when I did got the new shocks (probably because I got springs at the same time).

Most people will say that the stock decarbons are "so so" and anything is an improvment over them. They don't have to be bad to notice an improvement.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:15 PM

I'd only change the shocks if you see oil leaking from them. Otherwise, they should still be good. Our Z28 has 74,000 miles on it and the original 11 year old shocks and they are still perfectly fine, no leaks. If any suspension component is worn out on our Z28, it'd be the rear springs -- they are easy to compress. However, with such weak springs in the rear, the car has a more comfortable ride to it over bumps and dips. I don't drag or anything, so I prefer it being comfortable.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:42 PM

The stock shocks are terrible. I changed mine with 100 miles on the car (and I didn't autox it for months afterward, simply because it was so bad on the street). Shocks rarely leak externally, and that is in no way an indication of them being bad. After all, you could have seals and things worn out internally, and if the one at the top isn't bad, it won't leak.

All you have to do it ask anyone who's changed from stock shocks to something else, and you'll see by their improvements how poor the stockers are. Unfortunately, those that have not changed away cannot attest to the difference as it's unknown to them. And most folks have no idea what a lack of damping is or how it manifests itself until it's explained, and often until they experience a car that does not have the issue.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:42 PM

The stock shocks are terrible. I changed mine with 100 miles on the car (and I didn't autox it for months afterward, simply because it was so bad on the street). Shocks rarely leak externally, and that is in no way an indication of them being bad. After all, you could have seals and things worn out internally, and if the one at the top isn't bad, it won't leak.

All you have to do it ask anyone who's changed from stock shocks to something else, and you'll see by their improvements how poor the stockers are. Unfortunately, those that have not changed away cannot attest to the difference as it's unknown to them. And most folks have no idea what a lack of damping is or how it manifests itself until it's explained, and often until they experience a car that does not have the issue.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:29 PM

Well... if he hit a dip and doesn't bounce more than once... the dampening function of his shocks is still working...

Our '02 SS has Bilstein shocks on it, and when we hit a bump on the street, it hits like a mother &%^$%#$. You definitely don't want sporty shocks on a daily driver. But I realize what you're trying to tell him.

I don't know what this guy does with his car, but if he just drives it on the street as a daily driver, and it isn't bouncing up and down when he hits bumps (or the car isn't feeling like it is trying to tear itself apart when he hits a bump -- meaning only one shock is worn out), then he should be absolutely fine with the stock shocks. 37,000 miles on a Camaro? It's barely even broken in yet. New shocks would be a terrible waste of money.