Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

what subframes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 02:18 PM

what subframes

i have found two subframes that seem to be priced well. what set would you get?
mac?
or
umiperformance
Old 12-04-2004, 02:37 PM

Re: what subframes

Neither. Get Kenny Brown Double Diamond, the best ones out there by far. 250 shipped from Thunderracing.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:17 PM

well i dont have $250 to put into subframes and i really dont think i need double diamonds.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:31 PM

You're actually looking at 2 types of SFC...boxed and tubular. Boxed is stronger, but you'll lose more ground clearance. Are you planning to lower your car ever? Personally, I just purchased some BMR boxed SFCs from Thunder Racing...on backorder

Boxed is usually overkill for most people. In my case, I plan to keep stock ride height and my LCAs are boxed as well. It just looks better if the LCAs and SFCs are the same "type"...boxed or tubular.

So think about these (2) things: 1) Will you lower your vehicle in the future. 2) What type of LCAs are you planning on.

Any brand SFCs is better than none...you won't go wrong either way with your current mods.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:30 AM

well at least you know that the diamond ones aren't necessary. I always find it funny when guys with only bolt ons have the hardcore SFC's. I'm running BMR tubulars. I installed and welded them myself and they fit well. The tubulars aren't even noticable when you look at the car they barely hang down. There was a huge improvement in the car though. My buddy has the boxed ones and they hang down quiet a bit. I've heard they've been redesigned and don't hang down any lower than the tubular but i dunno if thats true. I pretty much agree anything is better than nothing, and diamond is probably over kill. I would just get whatever you find the best deal on. I also agree you should run the same kind of SFC's as LCA's. I'm running all tubular.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:34 AM

i was thinking about getting a set or tubular also... can an exhaust shop weld them in? i dont have access to a welder... =-\
Old 12-06-2004, 11:24 AM

i think my buddy had his welded in at a Midas for like $50
Old 12-06-2004, 04:01 PM

awesome... thats what i heard... not a bad price either!
Old 12-06-2004, 11:00 PM

[QUOTE=Z95m6]well at least you know that the diamond ones aren't necessary. I always find it funny when guys with only bolt ons have the hardcore SFC's. QUOTE]

They might not have the mods yet but will eventually. In a few years i plan to have heads and cam put on. Do it right the first time and forget about it.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=WiseguyZ28]
Originally Posted by Z95m6
well at least you know that the diamond ones aren't necessary. I always find it funny when guys with only bolt ons have the hardcore SFC's. QUOTE]

They might not have the mods yet but will eventually. In a few years i plan to have heads and cam put on. Do it right the first time and forget about it.
Ditto on that... when doing the chassy always buy the parts for what you plan to do... no reason to end up wishing you brought what you needed when you had the chance to later on down the road. Although you can do allot with the regular style SFC's I'd go for the diamonds and call it a day.... SLP is the number 1... then KBB... in 2nd.... for non DD's.... BMR.... Hotchkiss ETC fall in down the line .... I just got my SLP's a 2 weeks ago.... Nicely built product... paid 250 for bolt in version.... killer deal...
Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 AM

i look at it this way. At the point my tubular SFC's aren't cutting it, i probably need a cage.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:57 AM

.....yeah whats that they say about "bye once, cry once"??? Myself I wish I had a dime on the dollar for everytime I threw something away that I just bought last year because I upgraded something else so it no longer worked....
.....but then I guess the other side to that is that I have a narrowed 9" that'll handle 2000 H.P just rusting in my back yard because I did an 'overkill upgrade'. Whats that they say about "a fool and his money soon part"???
I'm rambling, good nite guys/galls..... Bill....
Old 02-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by WestCoast96Z28
You're actually looking at 2 types of SFC...boxed and tubular. Boxed is stronger, but you'll lose more ground clearance. Are you planning to lower your car ever? Personally, I just purchased some BMR boxed SFCs from Thunder Racing...on backorder

Boxed is usually overkill for most people. In my case, I plan to keep stock ride height and my LCAs are boxed as well. It just looks better if the LCAs and SFCs are the same "type"...boxed or tubular.

So think about these (2) things: 1) Will you lower your vehicle in the future. 2) What type of LCAs are you planning on.

Any brand SFCs is better than none...you won't go wrong either way with your current mods.
I run the UMI boxed, excellent quality and NO ground clearance was or is lost, they tuck up nice. Your stock exhaust system will hang lower then the SFC's.

As for the KBB I have heard some issues with quality on those.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:04 AM

Global West

2" diameter and no loss of ground clearance. $189.

http://www.globalwest.net/camaro93.htm
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 AM

I just put a set of UMI's on a car this week. The looked exactly like my BMRs. Tubular or boxed, either one will work. The DD's are a bit overkill for our cars.

Quick Reply: what subframes