CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/)
-   -   What is the best sway bar combo for cornering for a 4th gen F-body? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-47/what-best-sway-bar-combo-cornering-4th-gen-f-body-867118/)

MeanTA 06-04-2013 05:09 PM

Re: What is the best sway bar combo for cornering for a 4th gen F-body?

Originally Posted by CALL911 (Post 6943296)
Well, I don't need adjustable. I am not looking to dial it in perfect, and the price on the adjustable is significant.

The only thing I am not sure of is if I should go hollow or not. Not sure really what the weight savings from the UMI solids are vs. the Strano hollow ones.

Its a pretty good weight savings. But to be honest unless you are looking to shave every ounce off the car. Solid swaybars are just fine. Pretty sure your car can overcome the extra 12 pounds:)

CALL911 06-05-2013 05:15 PM

It seems that the 1LE sway bars are hollow and 32mm and the rears are unconfirmed at 19mm (I saw unconfirmed because that is the same size as stock and that doesn't make sense to me).

MeanTA 06-05-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911 (Post 6943383)
It seems that the 1LE sway bars are hollow and 32mm and the rears are unconfirmed at 19mm (I saw unconfirmed because that is the same size as stock and that doesn't make sense to me).

The 1LE is 19mm. GM wasnt to smart on some parts of our cars. lol

pkincy 07-04-2013 04:26 PM

Actually I believe the 1LE bar was actually 21 mm for about 6 months and than changed to 19 mm.

A solid bar of the same diameter as a hollow bar is stiffer. So roughly a 32 mm solid bar is about as stiff as a 35 mm hollow. A 19 mm solid is about as stiff as a 21 mm hollow.

I don't know anyone that needs the ST 35 mm solid ever. Tried it, didn't like it. A good inexpensive combo from the old days was Addco. They were solid and measured in inches. 1.25 in up front and 7/8ths in the rear. A very good combo with Eibach springs and good shocks.

Another good combo that I liked with Eibachs/Konis or Bilsteins was the 32 mm hollow front GM bar and the 21 mm hollow (or the 19 mm solid) rear bar. Again very good balance. I tried the STs 35 mm solid and 24 mm rear bar for a couple of months and they were just too stiff even with my Eibach/Koni DA set up.

Enjoy,

Droppingshellz 02-23-2014 09:48 PM

Hello, I have a 1999 Z28 with Koni springs and shocks. Lowered 2 inches. What size sway bars would work best with this set up?

CALL911 02-24-2014 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Droppingshellz (Post 6958432)
Hello, I have a 1999 Z28 which Koni springs and shocks. Lowered 2 inches. What size sway bars would work best with this set up?

Best for what? There are different sizes/combos for a reason. Many people have different applications/different desires on how they want the car to handle.

If you are looking for the best for high speed cornering like I am, then the combo I previously listed will be the best.

Droppingshellz 02-24-2014 03:44 PM

I pretty much have every aftermarket suspension piece on the car as possible except sway bars. I'm looking for something good to eliminate more of the "body roll". Thank you.

CALL911 02-24-2014 08:26 PM

Depending on "what other" suspension parts you have, you may or not may have the best for what you want. Lowering is good along with the sway bars. You would also want stiff shocks and springs. Subframe connectors and strut tower braces would also help.

Droppingshellz 02-24-2014 08:36 PM

I have adjustable Koni Struts and shocks, Koni springs, BMR pan hard rod, trailing arms, subrames, and strut tower brace. BMR K Member and lower control arms too. Factory sway bars.....

CALL911 02-24-2014 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Droppingshellz (Post 6958471)
I have adjustable Koni Struts and shocks, Koni springs, BMR pan hard rod, trailing arms, subrames, and strut tower brace. BMR K Member and lower control arms too. Factory sway bars.....

You have some decent parts. Upper A arms would also help. Koni's are "okay". Bilsteins would be better with Eibach springs. Tires make a big difference as well. Sway bars with being lowered will make a very substantial gain in cornering though.

Droppingshellz 02-26-2014 11:58 PM

tire sizes are 275 40zr18 in the front and 315 30zr18 in the rear.

CALL911 02-27-2014 06:34 AM

It's more than just the tire size. What compound, what brand will make a difference.

Something like this would be ideal> Nitto Tire NT01 Overview