Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

V6 springs= good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 12:47 AM

V6 springs= good or bad?

I would like to know, what is the big thing with v6 springs? I am guessing the weight transfer is better or something? Can someone fill me in? Also do they lower the car at all? Thanks
Old 09-13-2004, 08:08 PM

Re: V6 springs= good or bad?

Softer springs = more body roll = more camber loss

Braking will also suck as you'll get more weight transfer and overload the front wheels easier.

Acceleration will produce more squat which is essentially wasted weigth transfer.

Although your handling and ET's will suffer, you will ride ~0.5" lower and the crappy DeCarbon shocks may actually be able to dampen them sufficiently.

If anything get some 1LE springs on the cheap (slightly stiffer than stock) and get some Koni or Hal shocks (depending on your use/intention).
Old 09-13-2004, 10:08 PM

1LE springs are not progresive, and I wouldnt recomend them to anyone.
the SLP eibachs are a much better spring if you want to retain your ride hight.

the V6 springs are good up front for 1/4 mile times, but bad for everything else (well as said they might make the stock decarbon shocks last a bit longer)
Old 09-14-2004, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Xride
1LE springs are not progresive, and I wouldnt recomend them to anyone.
the SLP eibachs are a much better spring if you want to retain your ride hight.

the V6 springs are good up front for 1/4 mile times, but bad for everything else (well as said they might make the stock decarbon shocks last a bit longer)
Neither are the stock V8 or V6 springs. <rolls eyes>

The 1LE rear springs actually are progressive, from 130 to 180 pounds/in. The stock V8 springs are 114.

The 1LE front springs are linear, like all race springs where predictability and driver control takes precedence over slamming the car to the ground. 360 pounds/in for the 1LE, 292 for stock V8.

Why would you reccomend a progressive rate spring over a linear one? seems like a step backwards unless you're looking for a low-rider.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle
Why would you reccomend a progressive rate spring over a linear one? seems like a step backwards unless you're looking for a low-rider.

The fact that its been proven that the SLP bilstiens perform better.... the fact that he never said all the car does it get off the trailer and onto the race track...
and the fact that the SLP springs hardly lower the car they give a MUCH MUCH nicer ride, and make the var look better...

So lets see, why pick the SLP, they perform better, they look better, they ride better.

I dont know anyone thats serious about racing that runs a 1LE spring...
I would NEVER recomend the 1LE springs when there are others that are plain and simple better.
If all he wanted was a race car, trailer to track, I would recomend a coilover setup. if the funds were there I would still say the prokit or the SLP version matched with strano shocks.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:42 PM

I don't know where you get your "facts" but that's simply not the case.

As for spring choices in springs, yes, a vast majority of racers use linear-rate coilover sets ups. Thank you for pointing that out. Without dumping extra money into "lowering springs" that HAVE to be progressive rate to avoid hitting bumpstops constantly (it's a bandaid, not a feature), the 1LE springs are about the limit of where you can go in the stock set up.

As for looks, that's a matter of priorities. My personal preference is for a predictable suspension that works with you instead of against you.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then... except that V6 springs are pointless from a performance standpoint (except for the fronts that might help in drag racing, but changing them out is a total PITA).
Old 09-14-2004, 04:51 PM

Wow a lot of good info here. Xride is correct, This car is not an all out race car. Its a street/strip car. I am just looking for a spring that will give the car a nice stance, and preform pretty good when it comes to weight transfer. Also what shocks are reccomended? I am currently running Competition Eng rear shocks, with stock Decarbons up front. I was either thinking of picking up some Bilsteins, or saving up for some Qa1's all around. Currently My car has some custom made springs on there, that were heated up, and reset to lower the car 1". They are a bit to stiff for me, being that the car is also on 18" zo6's with a 35 series tire.. What would you guys reccomend? Thanks..
Old 09-14-2004, 05:11 PM
WOT

Geez.

Why SLP springs? They are progressive and are not nearly as predictable as a linear spring. And why the pro-kit? It sits too low for the spring rate it has up front and the rear progressive springs make it unpredictable as well. I don't follow your line of thought here.

Neither of those springs are optimal for autocross or drag racing.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by WOT
Geez.

Why SLP springs? They are progressive and are not nearly as predictable as a linear spring. And why the pro-kit? It sits too low for the spring rate it has up front and the rear progressive springs make it unpredictable as well. I don't follow your line of thought here.

Neither of those springs are optimal for autocross or drag racing.
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is the difference between a progressive spring, and a linear spring? Who said anything about the pro-kit? And another thing, who said im looking for an optimal spring for autocross or drag racing? Dont take it the wrong way, I just dont see that anywhere in this thread.. I just hear good things about Bilstein shocks is that untrue? I want a nice smooth comfortable drive, but that will preform good when Im out at the track(drag racing)...any reccomendations?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
WOT

Originally Posted by Deenasty
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is the difference between a progressive spring, and a linear spring?
A linear spring has a constant spring rate throughout it's travel. A progressive spring's rate changes through it's travel. They ride nicer typically but you give up perofrmance and predictability with them. It is also difficult to valve shocks to damp springs if the rates are changing.

Who said anything about the pro-kit?
Xride mentioned the prokit above. He said that he recommended it or the SLP springs.

And another thing, who said im looking for an optimal spring for autocross or drag racing? Dont take it the wrong way, I just dont see that anywhere in this thread..
In the original post a usage was not clearly defined. And the thread jumps back and forth between handling and launching. It also mentions weight transfer, but does not specify longitudinal or lateral.

The best spring for you depends upon how you use the car. Pro-kits and SLP's are a comprimise for almost everything.

I just hear good things about Bilstein shocks is that untrue? I want a nice smooth comfortable drive, but that will preform good when Im out at the track(drag racing)...any reccomendations?
For drag there is going to be better stuff. I personally like Bilsteins because they can be revalved cheaply and they are a nice shock. However, getting them revalved by Strano (Xride mentioned his revalving) is great for handling but won't let you launch very well in the 1/4.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:14 PM

so you would reccomend the Bilsteins with what springs?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deenasty
so you would reccomend the Bilsteins with what springs?
SLP eibachs or the prokit.
as said they are both a comprimise in handling and launching, and give a nice ride still, the SLP's arent as low as the prokit.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:48 PM

There really is no right spring for everyone. If you go with coil overs you can choose the rate and rideheight, plus you can change it if you change your mind. If you go with a replacement spring, decide on what you want to accomplish ahead of time. You can have a setup that's great in the corner but somewhat gut jarring and terrible at launching. You can have a setup slightly stiffer than stock and rides near as well. Some ppl just want to lower for looks. The key is to figure out what you want to acomplish.