Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Re: Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28

Sorry for the long delay in getting more of this work done... but my left left leg has given me enough problems to prevent my ability to stand upright for any substantial length of time. I will have to pace myself for a few days and by and by... I'll try to get more done. Today has been a “Good News-Bad News--- Fortuitous SAFETY NEWS” kind of day. I discovered a Serious Safety Flaw in the Design of the Harbor Freight Scissor Coil Spring Compressor that needs the immediate attention of anyone intent on getting one of these tools or using their own before solving this problem.

The photos below will show the Pivot Pin at the Apex where the two halves of the frames comes together. The pin is simply a Galvanized Mild Steel Rod of around three inches in length and it is probably a little less than 3/8” in diameter and it slips through a single drilled out hole that passes evenly through all four metal bracket ends acting as a Fulcrum. The outer edges of this pin are rounded off and there is shallow groove about 1/8” from each end to allow for the insert of a Half-Moon Spring Steel Clip... similar to the ones they used in the old Old Colt 45 Revolver that held rimless ammunition at three Bullets per clip. This damned thing popped off under the stress of using the tool today like it was nothing!

After I finished assembling only the one strut (the limit of my endurance today)... I found one of those damned, cheap clips just laying on top of my plywood work table. I turned beet red and instantly looked over the Scissor Tool that I had just removed from the Shock-Coil Assembly. I realized then that after the clip popped off... the pin had gradually slipped through one of the four bracket plates and this explained why the whole thing looked sort of like a Tilted Box or a Parallelogram while I was using it.

I spent so much time worrying and concentrating on watching the position of each of the four Bracket Hooks and their Pin-Locks along the edges of the Coil Spring while compressing it that I completely missed this very dangerous problem! I'm betting even money that had that pin slid through just one more plate... I would not be able to write this missive and the pain in my left leg would be the least of my problems! I will make some essential measurements and come up with a replacement using a High Grade Steel Carriage Bolt with a Locking Nut and/or a Castle Nut & Cotter Key Combo as a Back-Up and post that data back here as soon as I can before I finish the other Shock/Coil Unit. I'll just need a few days to get back on my feet... in the mean time if there is ANYONE about to use this device... Watch yourselves when using this Damned Thing!

Before I start describing the work I have just completed using the scary HF Scissor Strut Spring Compressor... I want to cover the other Safety Issues that simply cannot be over-emphasized:

ALL RIGHT.... (STARTING AT 10:29 ON THIS VIDEO)... IT SHOWS TWO ALLEGEDLY EXPERIENCED, HIGH DOLLAR TV MECHANICS WORKING RIGHT ON TOP OF A COIL SPRING AND A-FRAME UNIT UNDER AN ELEVATED MERCEDES BENZ ...WITHOUT USING THE SPRING COMPRESSOR TOOL PROPERLY …. WHEN THAT UNIT SUDDENLY COMES APART---> EXPLOSIVELY!!!

Once again... “realfixesrealfast” comes through with what is arguably the BEST Instructional Video on How to Safely Use an Older Scissor-Type Compressor for the “Shock Absorber Inner-Coil Spring Outer” Design... (Starting at 2:57)

And likewise... This video echoes and reinforces the Safety Considerations and Correct Tools to use as recommended by @stickypoop and by other thoughtful and careful GMT Nation Members as well:

Okay... Because I'm working on a 4th Generation F-Body... I'm uncertain that doing what follows will be necessary on other types of vehicles... but as matter of caution and care, it would not hurt to follow this procedure if you can get your hands on a complete, inexpensive set of used OEM Factory Strut Assemblies for your particular vehicle. In my present circumstances... I decided to “spring” (pun intended) for the $15.00 a piece purchase of the two complete Left and Right Side Shock Absorber/Coil Spring assemblies via eBay to use as L&R Analogs to follow in building the Brand New Assemblies from scratch. These items guaranteed that the new ones would be constructed EXACTLY the way the GM OEM Units were assembled prior to being installed in the car at the factory.

This method prevents having to later twist parts of the sub-assemblies around and out of their incorrect positions in order to make them fit and prevented me from putting them together ***-backwards as an additional and frustrating Time Waster. If you have 4th Gen Vehicles, this detailed photo-play of the Old vs. New assemblies might prove helpful for your own Brand New Assembly builds.

When some of these components came in packed in various small boxes.. they were NOT marked in such a manner to indicate whether or not the parts were either universal or target specific in their designs for either the left or the right sides of the suspension. Having these older units allowed me to look and match up everything carefully and only work one new assembly with the Older Unit nearby as a Guidepost to each build. I like the fact that doing it this way took all of the guess work out of the equation and I felt confident that when the time comes to install these units under the Camaro... everything will align and correctly fit in place. Please note that prior to fully tightening the spindle nut on the the top of Strut Mount Bearing... you will have to use a Plastic Mallet to ensure that the Coil Spring is correctly aligned on top of the Black Plastic Base if your choice of Shocks has a flat, un-cupped, non-self-aligning OEM style Coil Spring Lower Support Base. Look at the Exemplars if you have them often and use a great deal of care and patience... There is NOTHING trivial about doing this job... so watch your step from start to finish and Don't Get Killed!!

It's time for a personal “Thank You” to @hockeyman at GMT Nation for his suggestion to not only apply the CRC Moly-D- Graphite High Pressure Grease to the Scissor Spring Compressor Threaded Center Rod , but also to the lather up the large Galvanized Steel Cross Pins and their Thin Metal Side Guides to prevent them from galling, binding and warping during use! This idea worked well towards minimizing torque stress. The attached link to the Photo-Play of 70 New Images tells the rest of the story:

93Z28SUSPENSIONANDBRAKES by Mr. RSM Mr. RSM | Photobucket

Last edited by rsm93z28; 03-06-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:46 AM

Re: Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28

Okay... at 3 AM... i woke with this Safety Fix in my mind for the Scissor Coil Spring Compressor that owners might want to consider using. Instead of working a new 10MM X 110MM Bolt/Nut Combo... I drilled out...in two careful stages...two small holes into the shaft of the Through-Bolt and used Summit Engine Stand Washers as Spacers and slipped in a length of Spring Steel Wire, bent in such a way that it holds the washers in place and prevents the Through-Bolt from moving more that fraction in and out...and should the outer "Half-Moon"Clips pop off again... it will not make any difference... that Bolt will NOT ever come loose again! Problem Solved... Disaster Averted!

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60d...?sort=3&page=1
Attached Thumbnails Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28-dsc05297_copy.jpg   Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28-dsc05305_copy.jpg   Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28-dsc05307_copy.jpg   Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28-dsc05309_copy.jpg   Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28-dsc05310_copy.jpg  

Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28-dsc05311_copy.jpg   Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28-dsc05312_copy.jpg   Total Front Suspension Replacement 1993 Z-28-dsc05313_copy.jpg  

Last edited by rsm93z28; 03-06-2016 at 12:51 AM.