Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Torque arm mount relocation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:26 PM

Torque arm mount relocation?

Anybody use BMR's trans brace that relocates the torque arm mount to the brace instead of the trans? I'm considering getting one...any thoughts.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:16 PM

i used the umi performance kit. i think it is the same as the bmr but just cheaper. i thought it was great. i liked it because it was basically the only way for me to get the tq arm off of the tranny and keep my duals. the tq arms that bolt to the body and the ones that have a brace between the sfc's just wont clear most duals. no probs here.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I just found the UMI mount, can get it with the bushing for less than the BMR

Did it help with the shifter/trans movement during wot shifting?
Old 09-04-2007, 06:35 AM

yes it helps with that and it also helps keep the pinion angle true. because if the tq arm is mounted to the tranny the tranny will move during launching therefore throwing of the pinion angle. but with this set up the tq arm is stationary and will not move.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by RedWS6TA
yes it helps with that and it also helps keep the pinion angle true. because if the tq arm is mounted to the tranny the tranny will move during launching therefore throwing of the pinion angle. but with this set up the tq arm is stationary and will not move.
yep, i love mine(bmr)
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM

I run the BMR unit. I ran this cause I didn’t want to have y pipe clearance issues. Also, the cross bar for the other style of torque arms hangs way too low in the center of the car. I had a Spohn unit many years ago, and I got tired of it scraping everywhere, and cringing when I saw a raised manhole or bump in the road.

Nick
Old 09-11-2007, 09:37 PM

The only issue I noticed was alot more noise now virberates up thru the floor from the drivetrain.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 AM

I just got the UMI one as well. I got a little bit of noise at first, I went back under the car and loosened it up, made sure the torque arm was straight with the drive shaft, tigthened it back up and its perfect.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:35 PM

I run the UMI unit with a BMR adjustable Torque Arm. I was also afraid of clearance issues. I also think the cross bar for the other style of torque arms hangs way too low in the center of the car.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:48 PM

im runnin the spohn and i love it a little louder than than factory as its stiffer and chassis mounted and a little clunking on takeoff butt thats it good ground clearance as new models are tucked up more than the older ones butt a good choice
Old 09-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Well I decided to get the UMI mount. Had some issues though, first, because the T/A mount is now lower than stock the arm hits my BMR driveshaft loop. The next and bigger issue is that the stock exhaust mount no longer fits...not even close. Nowhere does it mention this on their website or the supplied instructions. So it will just hang untill I figure out an alternitive.

Taking it for a spin made me feel better though. The feeling is overall tighter and more controlled drivetrain movement. A slight bit of harshness can be felt through the floor but really not in a bad way.

You guys have any problems with or solutions to the exhaust mount problem?
Old 09-15-2007, 03:41 PM

sorry man i am running true duals so i dont use any of the stock exhaust mounts. didnt even really think about that.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:51 PM

I plan on getting one.

I've known many a people to actually crack the rear tail housing on the tranny from the stock mounted torque arm. Cars ranging from mild to wild.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:50 AM

I run duals as well so no need for the exhaust mount.
Are you sure you got the right part number for your application? I had the same problem with my BMR DS loop and it turned out I was sent the wrong application by mistake. Lee took care of it so fast it was never an issue but you might make sure its the correct one.
I did get tired of the BMR loop scraping on stuff so I went with a Lakewood DS loop and all is good.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:50 PM

I wrote them an e-mail, waiting for a reply.

Quick Reply: Torque arm mount relocation?