Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 06:20 PM

Talking Suspension Question

I have an 01 Z28 that the previous owner lowered about 2" by cutting the stock springs in the front and back. Also, he installed 18" Corvette rims so the car sits and looks awesome. The only problem is that it rides rough and can be choppy on certain road types. I want very good ride quality as the car will see very little track time. My question are:

What shocks give better ride and control quality over the stock ones?

I probably need to change out the cut springs, so what would you recommend with those shocks? I would prefer to keep a lower than stock stance, unless that comprimises my goal. Thanks.

Darrell
Old 12-27-2005, 06:41 PM

Re: Suspension Question

What town are you from? Why does it say you have eibachs in your sig?
Bilstein makes really nice shocks....just look at the quality
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/images...ein-shocks.jpg
Old 12-27-2005, 08:01 PM

I forgot to edit my sig, for the springs, the dealer I bought it from told me it had Eibachs in it but when I got under the car, I found out that the last owner just cut a coil off the springs.

Are bilsteins designed to ride better than stock with less "chop" ?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:04 PM

I live in Holbrook.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:16 PM

There is a listing on ebay for KYB AGX shocks and Vogtland springs which they are saying that it is the best change you can make to your suspension. (Listing # 8023951102)

I don't always believe everything I see, and I figured that others on this forum have already made improvements they are happy with. I read one thread where a lot of people were not happy with the AGX's. I am not sure how many companies make shocks for the ZBilstein, HAL QA1, Tokico, Koni, etc) but I want to improve ride quality. Also, if you guys recommend a specfic brand, where can I buy them and for how much?
Old 12-31-2005, 04:24 PM

For lowering springs, I really liked the Eibach Pro-Kit I had. For shocks, you really need to state how you plan on using the car. For handling, the Koni DA shocks I had were awesome with the factory 1LE springs but the ride was pretty rough.

If you just want handling, I like shocks that are "gas charged" like the Konis. Not sure if the Bilsteins are, but many people use them and have good things to say about them. For good street and strip manners, the HAL QA1s are nice. Good compromise between both. They are now made in a DA version. And there are 3 spring rate versions available.

By the way, cutting springs isn't really the best way to lower a car. Cutting springs changes the spring rate.

Last edited by joe-96z1le; 12-31-2005 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:00 PM

maybe its just for a third gen suspension but i was told that the bilstiens are not good for lowered cars
Old 01-01-2006, 05:03 PM

Sam Strano recommended a set of revalved Bilsteins for the front and a set of 3rd Gen HD shocks for the rear to go with my Eibach Pro springs. Sam's very knowledgable regarding 4th Gen suspensions; give him a call; you can find him at stranoparts.com
Old 01-01-2006, 08:07 PM

Sounds like the person cut too much of the stock spring off. They're most likely a lost cause.

The AGX shocks are not really for lowered springs and I guarantee the spring rates of the Vogtland will totally own them.

You may want to mention how much you're willing to spend on this.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:31 PM

I second the opinion to call Sam Strano. I'd say Bilsteins are the bare minimum, though certainly not ideal. Skip the KYB's and all the other cheapies.

As for the drop, you can't keep a soft ride and drop a car 2 inches and use 18" wheels. There's not a lot of suspension travel after a 2 inch drop and the car is going to bang up against the bump stops often, especially on cut stock springs.