Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Suspension Advice needed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 01:32 PM

Suspension Advice needed...

Cliffnotes: Tell me how to make an LS1 fbody beat my C5 in the twisties.

This is currently hypothetical, but depending how things end up looking, it could be reality...not sure why that matters...ah whatever anyway on to the question:

Let's say I was used to Z06-spec handling but was downgrading to a 98+ Z28...what could I do suspension-wise to bring the handling up to where I like it? Or for that matter better? For now, assume no monetary constraints...The best cornering performance possible without making the ride unbearable, stable in a straight line, but with emphasis on turn-in and overall front grip, oversteer is fun as long as you don't have to work too hard to get it. Ride height and damping adjustability would be highly desired, but not mandatory I suppose...

I'll admit the concept of suspension tuning with a solid rear axle is foreign to me, in fact it's a major con to getting into an F-body at all, but I love the LS1 too much. Can the solid axle be made to handle as nicely as an independant setup?

Brakes too...fbody brakes lick from what I hear, I've heard of C5 brake upgrades, but I've cooked those on a 300lb-lighter C5, so what other options would I have without blowing $5k on big brakes? is it easy to set up cooling ducts on the fbodies?

Oh one more thing: can you still adjust toe/camber with a solid axle? does this matter? how's this bloody drag-race rear suspension work when you want to actually turn?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:14 PM

Re: Suspension Advice needed...

Originally Posted by TGrits10
how's this bloody drag-race rear suspension work when you want to actually turn?
Pretty damn well. There are a lot of reasons the Z06 is faster than the F-Body and the solid axle is pretty far down the list. My advice? Take up autocrossing and go to a few roadcourse racing/drivers' schools. Right now, your car handles far better than you can handle it. With some experience you'll easily show Z06's being driven by the less experienced your taillights.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jon A
Pretty damn well. There are a lot of reasons the Z06 is faster than the F-Body and the solid axle is pretty far down the list. My advice? Take up autocrossing and go to a few roadcourse racing/drivers' schools. Right now, your car handles far better than you can handle it. With some experience you'll easily show Z06's being driven by the less experienced your taillights.
Yes I suppose my confusion about the solid axle stems more from the geometry, it's such a completely different setup from the usual rear suspension, I have no idea what to do to it to make it handle.

I've done enough autox/rr stuff, but I'll recognize I could get faster with more experience. That said, I'd still like my skill level to be the limiting factor, not the car. Sucks when you want to play and the car says 'no, I'm not up to it'.

EDIT: and I suppose I should have clarified better that I'm not at all new to hipo driving or suspension tuning, just new to fbody suspension tuning.

Last edited by TGrits10; 09-14-2004 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:17 PM

OK. There certainly are nice improvements to be had in the areas you're talking about but it's a lot of stuff to go into in one thread. You sound like you'd love to spend some time reading up on http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/ . Lots of great info.

In short, if coming from a Z06, you're going to like the car a lot stiffer. Stiff springs (I'm using 750 front 225 rear), revalved shocks (I'm using Bilsteins, shortened in front), bigger bars (I'm using Hotchkis, Strano's hollows are also a good choice), you'll want more negative camber (GW upper front arms). You want front grip? Add 315's to that and you'll have it:

http://www.jonaadland.com/Z28/Z28/Grip.JPG

For brakes, Stoptech is the kit you're looking for ($1995 or so)--they'll blow away C5 brakes...to get much better you're talking $3K+.

You'll be happy to know that the F-Body came with arguably the best solid axle rear suspension ever put into a production car. Yes, there's room for improvement, but improvements are more like "icing on the cake" compared with say, a Mustang, which really needs a redesigned replacement for the entire rear suspension to be as "good."

But an unlimited budget can buy a whole bunch of icing! First should be a rod-ended PHB (LG, UE or make your own). Assuming you don't care too much about ride quality, do the same for the LCA's. The stock torque arm is plenty for most people but if you want an improvement go for LG for stock-style or UE if you wan't probably the best out there. Remove your bumpstops in the rear and use Koni stops on the shocks instead to gain travel. Lowering the PHB is a great idea but that will change some of the spring/bar/shock choices you need to make for the rear....

And it goes on and on. Info in great detail about those things can be found on the board I mentioned.

You'll find the F-Body can be a very capable track car. It's no Z06, it'll never "handle" like a Z06, but it can be made to go just as fast...it just takes more work.

Last edited by Jon A; 09-14-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:11 PM

I see...(stroking imaginary beard)...well then I'll start reading up on that forum and see what I want to do, seems I'd be looking at GC coilovers, koni's, some sways, poly bushings I suppose, phb, and wheels/tires...ehhhhxcellent