Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Subframe Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:31 PM

Subframe Connectors

Do subframe connectors really make a difference on a 94 Trans Am GT? How much they cost? What do they actually do?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:07 PM

4th-gen f-bodies have a pretty good case of bodyflex, due to the "unibody" frame. A great example to actually see this is to jack up one side of your front end, and for quite a few inches only that section will be lifted up!

That was a pretty interesting site seeing that. Unibody construction for the f-bodies allows body flexing, so adding subframe connectors will give much more strength to the unibody, thereby reducing the body flex big time.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding SFC's, I'm sure you will find many threads that have TONS of information for you on SFC's, including opinions on whether they are necessary or not, which are the cheapest/best, what to get, what not to get, all that good stuff.

Hope this helps.

I have also read that f-bodies with t-tops will end up making lots of squeeking noises if you pile up the mileage, and apparently the SFC's can greatly reduce the body "squeaks" in the long run...

And then again, there are others on this board who have never installed SFC's and swear that their high mileage f-body's don't squeak, so there you go.

I bought mine because I used to have a 93 hard top Z28, high mileage, sucker squeaked big time, and I have been told by some 4th gen owners that their rear quarter panels end up getting stress dimples due to body flex...

I didn't want that to happen to my f-body, so I bought my SFC's, had them welded on, and I realized that I liked the handling better on my car, I liked how it felt a bit more solid on the turns. The ride does get bumpier, due to the body not flexing over the little bumps...Body flex does allow for a softer ride, but I didn't want soft, I wanted secure.

For my 2001SS, since it had t-tops, and factory suspension(deCarbons SUCK!), I figured that I wanted to protect my investment.

Just my .02
Old 06-28-2004, 10:42 AM

I just did mine this weekend, and I actually thought the car rode better. It let the suspension to the work in taking the bumps instead of the suspension and car flex. Very tight and stable. It will make you want new shocks. At least for me it does.

BTW, is that what those dimples are from. That freeking sucks, I thought it was rocks or something. Crap!
Old 06-28-2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Red96Lt1
I just did mine this weekend, and I actually thought the car rode better. It let the suspension to the work in taking the bumps instead of the suspension and car flex. Very tight and stable. It will make you want new shocks. At least for me it does.

BTW, is that what those dimples are from. That freeking sucks, I thought it was rocks or something. Crap!
Yeah, isn't that trippy? I guess the body torques up enough that the rear quarter panels dimple a touch.

SFC's will hinder that phenomenom big time, or at least delay it.

My sentiments exactly Red, the SFC's MAKE the suspension work like it's supposed to, and yes, it definitely shows me that I need to get my new Koni's & GC coilovers installed soon.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:20 PM

I think Subframe connectors are definately in the top 5 needed mods for a F body!
Old 06-28-2004, 08:41 PM

Re: Subframe Connectors

Originally posted by ChrisUlrich
Do subframe connectors really make a difference on a 94 Trans Am GT? How much they cost? What do they actually do?
well I got slp like subframes on e-bay for about 120$ Personaly, I find it hard to tell the difference, but the body does seem a little stiffer ( I might of noticed more if I had'nt put the new shocks on first maybee)
Old 06-28-2004, 09:28 PM

Are they Weld-In or Bolt-In. Bolt in subframes are crap. I designed and built my own subframes. You cant even see them unless you get under the car and look for them. They hide behind the rocker panel. They are welded in solid. I also stitch welded them all along the rocker panel. The car is so stiff and ridged now. I can jack one of the front sides off the ground and the car will actuall pull 3 wheels off the ground. Because the body wont flex.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:15 PM

I beg to differ with ya there .... bolt-in SFC's are not crap.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:31 AM

The dimples in the top of the rear quarters are from the upper shock mounts.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by rncotton
I beg to differ with ya there .... bolt-in SFC's are not crap.
i agree...i am quite happy with mine.