Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

SS sway bar VS Z28 sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:48 AM

SS sway bar VS Z28 sway bar

i have a SS that i am building and trying to drop unneeded weight. does the z28 sway bar (front) weight less than te ss version. i thought i remembered that the ss got a larger front sway bar from slp. any info would be greatly appricated , oh if it matters its a 96 model
Old 05-09-2006, 02:39 PM

Re: SS sway bar VS Z28 sway bar

If you get a gm sway bar, it'll be a 32mm up front on an ss or 1le car and a 30mm on a z28. The weight difference is almost negligible, but obviously the 32mm is SLIGHTLY heavier. The handling difference more than makes up for the minimal extra weight, and the fact that you're retaining a sway bar up front tells me that you're at least a little concerned with how the car handles. If that's the case, plenty of people on here will advise the 35mm strano bar. I don't need one for my car so I'm not the guy to ask about
non-gm sway bars. Hope this helps.
Michael
Old 05-09-2006, 02:48 PM

The Strano 35mm is hollow so saves some weight and improves handling.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:35 PM

The stock front bar is hollow too so it won't save any weight.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:01 PM

The stock 32mm front bar is not hollow.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by hot white z
The stock 32mm front bar is not hollow.
Yes, it is. If it's solid, then it's not stock.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:25 PM

All 4th gen Z28/Formula/SS/WS6/Firehawk front bars are hollow. Solid bars are aftermarket.

FWIW, a 32mm GM bar is about a pound more than a 30mm GM bar. My Hollow 35mm bar is about 2.5 pounds or so more than than 30mm bar. All pretty close on weight, but very different in terms of roll stiffness.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:42 PM

thanks for all the input guys , i didnt know the stock bar was hollow, i'll be damn. well i guess i cant drop to muck more front end weight without kill the stock k-member for the tubular model huh. damn do i drop 500 more on top of the motor cost ?????? my wife is gonna cut my boys off while i sleep.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:39 PM

I retract my comment about the 32mm being solid. I looked it up and I'm wrong. I've got three of them and have never bothered to cut one in half! I still feel that 32mm is plenty of bar for most applications.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by hot white z
I retract my comment about the 32mm being solid. I looked it up and I'm wrong. I've got three of them and have never bothered to cut one in half! I still feel that 32mm is plenty of bar for most applications.
You looked it up.... Wish you'd have done that before declaring it was solid.

You don't need to cut it in half to know. The weight gives it away (or should, and if it doesn't I have to wonder how many bars you've played with). If not the weight, then the fact you see the ends are pinched down to form the endlink hole. If not those two facts, then the hole that they all have in them (that you can look into) should give it away.....

I don't feel that anyone who truly wants the best handling, and who has run both 32 and 35mm bars will agree that 32 is "plenty of bar for most appications".
Old 05-10-2006, 03:49 PM

You looked it up.... Wish you'd have done that before declaring it was solid.

Sometimes the things you're familiar with tend to be overlooked in the research department.

The weight gives it away (or should, and if it doesn't I have to wonder how many bars you've played with).

I don't have calibrated arms.

If not the weight, then the fact you see the ends are pinched down to form the endlink hole. If not those two facts, then the hole that they all have in them (that you can look into) should give it away.....

Here's where I feel like a retard. I've seen that pinched end a hundred times and never gave it a second thought. Again, overfamiliarity leads to complacency and lack of attention to details...

I don't feel that anyone who truly wants the best handling, and who has run both 32 and 35mm bars will agree that 32 is "plenty of bar for most appications".

There comes a point of diminishing returns in this department, and I feel that 32mm in the front is the most that is necessary for these cars. That's just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. My v6 car has had 28mm and 30mm in the front, my z28 has had 30mm and 32mm in the front, and my 84 TA had a 34mm front. The third-gens handle differently because of the design of the front suspension, not just the size of the sway bar. My 84 ran a 34/23 combo with monroe sensa-tracs, hd springs, and poly-graphite bushings on 15 inch rims. My 96 z runs a 32/24 combo with standard monroes, stock springs, and urethane bushings on 16 inch rims. The 84 would out-corner the 96 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The handling problem on the fourth-gen is not going to go away just by throwing a 35mm bar on the front, but by nailing down the entire combo. I apologize for sending incorrect info up on the thread. Oh, and don't worry how many bars I've played with!

Have a great one. Michael