Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Spring Set on 1LE? Getting new rear 1LE springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 10:05 PM

Spring Set on 1LE? Getting new rear 1LE springs?

I have a 1998 Z28 1LE with 50,000 miles and here is the issue. When car was new, the original owner put Eibach Sportsline springs and an adjustable panhard rod on the car. Within a short period of time, he got tired of the poor ride and put the original 1LE springs back on the rear only. The car has been set up like this for the past 7 years. For 3-4 years under orig. owner it also had several amps and subs in the rear, so there was a good deal of weight back there too. Last week I wanted to see what it was like with the Eibachs all around and put the lowering springs back on the back so they match the front. I agree with the original owners assesment.

So... I want to put my 1LE springs back on all 4 corners with a new 1LE panhard rod from SLP (adjustable one is very rusty). My question is, since the rear springs were used for 6-7 years and the front springs were used for less than a year, will my car have a sagging rear end? Is 6 years a enough for the rear springs to have sagged to the point that the rear end will sit lower than the front? Can I still get rear 1LE springs from GM? I know I have read that you cant get the fronts anymore, but what about the rears? I have my original 1LE rear springs and can measure the wire dia., coil count, and uncomp. length, so what are these figures for stock rear Z28 springs... so I can identify whether what the dealer hands me are true 1LE rear springs?

While I am asking, I also have a question about the shocks. How long can I expect these yellow Koni shocks to last? They still seem to dampen the ride just fine, I am just curious how many miles I can expect them to last. Car has 50,000 miles now and is not raced.

Thanks for any help or suggestions
Old 04-24-2005, 10:19 PM

Re: Spring Set on 1LE? Getting new rear 1LE springs?

FYI,

Most would run a spring that is softer than the 1LE in the rear. Sam Strano could steer you. Gearhead did have 1LE rear springs on ebay. I doubt that yours have sagged very much but it is possible.

I did all of the measurments below by hand. Wire diameter is the most accurate. Height by tape, dia of spring free hand with calipers.

Z28

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...2&page=2&pp=15

Re: Will the real 1LE spring please Stand UP!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a used set of 1LE Front springs, and a NOS set of rear 1LE springs from gryhead.

The front springs I have had my hands on have the following rough dimensions.

P/N Wire Diameter Number of Coils Outside Dia. Free Length

(Stock) 22077195 .570" 9 4.59" 15.5"

(NOS) 22197228 .565" 9 4.56" 15.5"

(NOS) 22077196 .570" 10 4.58" 15.5"

(1LE) 22132561 .580" 9 4.52" 13.75"

To identify the rear 1LE springs look for a plastic spacer on a tightly wound spring coil near the top. This coil must be the progressive part of the 130-170 lb/in. It has the partnumber 22132889 it is also a good discontinued 1LE number. [http://www.gyrhead.com/special.htm]http://www.gyrhead.com/special.htm[/URL] , Has the rear spring.

To identify the 1LE front spring. Look for a spring that is shorter than stock by 1.75" and has .580 wire. I have not had my hands on the 22132887 1LE spring so I can't give you a way to identify it, but it should be similar to the 22132561.

My ride height is 28" at the front fender lip and 27 3/4" at the rear fender lip.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:50 AM

Talking Re: Spring Set on 1LE? Getting new rear 1LE springs?

I will have to go home and measure everything tonight to see. Just to add to your cause of undrestanding the mess of part numbers, I can give you the numbers I get for my stock front 1LE springs and the P/N that is taped to a coil.

Do you have the dimensions for you NOS rear 1LE springs, specifically the uncompressed length? I see a lot of values but I believe you said they are for the front. Maybe I can just measure the free length and compare to your NOS rear spring. Or are you saying the only difference between the stock and 1LE spring is the plastic spacer to make the spring rate progressive?

I will also give Sam Strano a call and see what he says about the springs and my question about shock life.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 AM

Re: Spring Set on 1LE? Getting new rear 1LE springs?

I didn't take dimensions on the stock rear springs.

The rear 1LE are wound differently and are shorter. They use coil stack up to get the progressive rate. This is why they have the black plastic spacer, it is only about 1/8" thick sort of a tube around the upper coils It prevents the stacked coils from rubbing and squeaking.

Check your fender height, if your rear fenders are near the height I listed and you change to front 1LE's you will not have a rake problem.

Z28