Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Rear LT1 Brake Upgrades

Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 AM

Rear LT1 Brake Upgrades

What is everyone running for upgraded brakes on the rear of a LT1? LS1 rear calipers/pads? Anything else? C5? My car is a street car, so I don't really need to worry about making sure they'll clear 15" wheels (though it'd be nice in case I ever went down that road in the future). I have 2 sets of 17" wheels. (chrome ZR1s and gray factory ZR1s)

I have GM DuraStop slotted rotors on the front w/ DuraStop pads. Factory style rotors/pads on the rear. I was mounting up a new set of Drag Radials today and noticed my rear pads were getting down there so I was considering upgrading my rear brake setup over the winter. I would like to upgrade my front as well and I DO realize that I will see more benefit for upgrading the front.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Re: Rear LT1 Brake Upgrades

Front brakes do the majority of work on the LT1; focus on improving the fronts. A more agressive brake pad is the first step but usually comes with more dusting and noise. LS1 setup from the front is modest in price and works well.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
Front brakes do the majority of work on the LT1; focus on improving the fronts. A more agressive brake pad is the first step but usually comes with more dusting and noise. LS1 setup from the front is modest in price and works well.
Read my original post. I realize that most of my improvement will be upgrading the front, but the previous owner of the car upgraded the fronts shortly before I bought the car. I will upgrade them a little closer to when I need new front brakes.
Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
I would like to upgrade my front as well and I DO realize that I will see more benefit for upgrading the front.
I don't have a defined budget at this point but from the looks of it the C5 rear brakes are the same as a LS1 rear brakes with the exception of the rotor. And to run a LS1/C5 rotor all I should need is a LS1 brake backing plate, right?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 PM

The ls axles are a little bit longer (appx 1/4") than the LTs so to do an LS rear swap correctly, you need longer axles or need spacers on the axle housing to offset the bracket. P-brake cables are also different. As far as C5 rears, I am assuming they are pressure cast like the C5 fronts, other than rotor width, they are identical to LS.

When I did the LS swap awhile back, I opted to not do the rears as the improvement in rotor/caliper for the LS over LT is minimal. The C5 front will not fit under the 16" wheels, where the LS front will. I believe that both LS and C5 rear will fit 16" wheels but not sure about 15". Another reason I opted to keep LT rears is since they do not have the shoe style p-brake, they are lighter.

This guy has a good summary: GM Brake Upgrade Option Measurements - Thirdgen F-body Brake Upgrade | Luke Skaff