Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

rear center brake line Rubber! Why!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 02:59 AM

rear center brake line Rubber! Why!

Does anyone know the part number for:
the brake line (long brake line)
rubber center / y splitter piece /
bracket

Basically the entire brake line for the rear brakes up until it changes to the two individual lines for my rear discs. I think somone replaced the line and did a horrible job in my car.. it has a weird S in it before it should bend around the rear set section... I dont think that S is supposed to be there and it looks like it almost flattens the damn line out! I never noticed this and it doesn't look good no matter what...

I have new wilwood rear brake lines to install. i might as well install an entire new brake line while I am in there. including that aweful rubber flex line. MIght as well get a new stiff one or find a steel equivalent. I also need the part number for the bracket and metal retaining clip. The bracket looks like it is held in place by a 13mm bolt or somthing like that. it also holds the breather for the gas tank. Anyone know what I am talking about?

I bet wilwood makes somthing that would fit in place of the rubber line. I am going to take the old one and send it to them to have it matched. i love that company...

No need having steel lines all over and a rubber aneurysm in the rear... I want to get this all sorted out before doing all that to the rear brakes and an entire ls1/ powerslot front brake upgrade with steel lines.

I only do things once.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:13 AM
Former Vendor

The brackets will most likely need to be purchased from the dealer and you will probably have to order the hose with it. You might want to try gmpartsdirect.com for them and your hard lines. As for the stainless braided hose we make those and they are designed to duplicate the factory hose. This is the link to go directly to the single non traction control hose http://www.hotpart.com/index.php?p=show&id=166.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:30 AM

i love that brake line kit. I am definately going to purchase it and complete my system. All stainless baby!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by djk19
Does anyone know the part number for:
the brake line (long brake line)
rubber center / y splitter piece /
bracket

Basically the entire brake line for the rear brakes up until it changes to the two individual lines for my rear discs. I think somone replaced the line and did a horrible job in my car.. it has a weird S in it before it should bend around the rear set section... I dont think that S is supposed to be there and it looks like it almost flattens the damn line out! I never noticed this and it doesn't look good no matter what...

I have new wilwood rear brake lines to install. i might as well install an entire new brake line while I am in there. including that aweful rubber flex line. MIght as well get a new stiff one or find a steel equivalent. I also need the part number for the bracket and metal retaining clip. The bracket looks like it is held in place by a 13mm bolt or somthing like that. it also holds the breather for the gas tank. Anyone know what I am talking about?

I bet wilwood makes somthing that would fit in place of the rubber line. I am going to take the old one and send it to them to have it matched. i love that company...

No need having steel lines all over and a rubber aneurysm in the rear... I want to get this all sorted out before doing all that to the rear brakes and an entire ls1/ powerslot front brake upgrade with steel lines.

I only do things once.
The brake line you are describing has to be flexible to allow for suspension movement. The "S" curve is a way to give the line slack when the suspension droops.

Also, in your description, it sounds like someone has done a shotty job of a diff swap.

Your best bet, and probably the cheapest route, would be a steel braided line from a kit designed for your application.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:03 AM

If you look through the post you will see that company makes the braided line for the center portion and it direct oem fit. It is about $50. The S curve in the hard line is about right behind the rear seat and looks different then most f body rear brake line pictures. I dont see it in any of the pictures other people have...

But why would you say somone did a bad job at a differential swap? I did have my bearings, seals, fluid, gears changed to 3.73 and one new axle installed a while back right after I bought the car and everything was fine with the rear end. Why would you say that? just wondering
Old 07-25-2007, 02:46 PM

It appears I misread your post ...

I thought the "S" bend had the rubber line kinked ...

Originally Posted by djk19

{snip}

I associated your "rubber aneurysm" comment as the point at which "it looks like it almost flattens the damn line out".

Sorry about that ...
Old 07-25-2007, 05:34 PM

yea and I typed set instead of seat.... my b.

The line bends around the rear seat along with the fuel lines and mine does an S right at the point where it is just supposed to go aorund the rear seat. It serisouly looks like somone used a longer line, didn't know how to make it shorter and bent an S in it to shorten it! I should probably just replace the entire line starting up at the master going back to the rear. p.i.t.a. I need that line and the stainless flex line now to even get into my brakes I have rotors, calipers, hubs, pads, front and back stainless lines and all kinds of suspension stuff to put in.. sitting here until I can get another couple hundred bux