Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Question about motor mounts, upgrade to tubular K

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:11 PM

Question about motor mounts, upgrade to tubular K

My transmission keeps moving forward and backwards, causing a horrible clunking whenever I change direction of power. The only solution I can see working is that my motor mounts may be shot. I took a quick look at them and didn't see anything, but that doesn't prove much. My question is a two parter.

1. The motor mounts are what limits the forwards and backwards movement of the transmission right? I get a little shake from the engine on start up, but nothing too radical. My mounts were toast on my RWD 240sx and I didn't have the problem I'm having now. Then again, their transmission mount had a different design.

2. I've read on how much of a PITA it is to change the mounts, upwards of a 10 hour job. I've been looking into getting the tubular k member, upper/lower a arm package anyway and I guess this would be a good time to change it. Will that make the job a lot easier?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM

I would check the trans mount rather than the motor mounts.
Also check the Torq arm mount on the trans and rear end.

If you decide to go to the Tubular K-member/A-arms it makes getting to things alot easier under the car for sure. And I guess in effect it would make the job easier only if you change what you think is the worn out motor mounts at the same time.

If I can help you with anything else let me know and I can send you over a quote on the parts you may want to do the K-member/A-arm swap.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:52 PM

I agree with the post above that it's most likely the tranny mount. Replacing motor mounts is not a 10 hour job; more like 2 hours including lifting the engine slightly.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Well, take a look at my other thread

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541089

That's an ES trans mount after 5 months. I put a new one in, same clunking after a couple days. Put in a Prothane version, still clunking occasionally. Not much to the install so I'm pretty sure I didn't screw anything up. Besides, the hole for the trans mount bolt to go through the crossmember is slotted in a way that runs the length of the car, so it allows that movement. Something else must be allowing it to move forward, and the only thing that makes sense is the motor mounts.