Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Please Help!!! Brake Line

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:42 PM

Please Help!!! Brake Line

This is my first time posting on this board, but I have used the great information for almost a year now. The site is great. As an introduction, I am the proud owner of a 94 z28 with 58k on the clock. It is basically a full bolt on car with an upgraded suspension.

I have a pretty big problem, I decided to do the C5 brake conversion and everything was going well. Everything bolted up perfect. I left the brake hoses for last, basically because they seemed the easiest to do. BUT turns out that the brake hose does not want to come apart from the hard line. I used a line wrench, soaked it in PB Blaster and the damn fitting wont come loose from the hoses. It is very frustrating. The soft hex head now is all malled up to the point where I need to use vice grips. I cant beleive this.

Can I torch the fitting and try again? I dont know what else to do.

Thanks so much for your help in advance!
Old 04-20-2006, 05:22 PM

Re: Please Help!!! Brake Line

Modifying brake lines makes me nervous, so as long as the hard line isn't damaged I'd continue trying to bust that hose free (I'm guessing that the rounded bolt is on the hose). I'm sure someone who does brake work for a living could whack off the hard line and flare a new fitting on there in 10 minutes... but it's not something you want to have any chance of screwing up (which is why I would probably not do it myself).
Old 04-20-2006, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the reply. Basically the nut is the fitting where the hard line connects to the brake hose which goes to the caliper. I cant get that fitting loose. I was thinking of using a little heat to help the fitting loosen up. Putting fire near there makes me real nervous though.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:04 PM

mmm... yea... heat is probably not a good thing. I don't think brake fluid is super flammable but I imagine you get it hot enough and it will burn.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:53 PM

Ask an expert. Take a drive over to your nearest brake shop and ask their advice, they've been through that before.