Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Need help with my brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:00 PM

Need help with my brakes

I just changed my pads and rotors, I went with the drilled and slotted ebay special rotors and the top of the line napa ceramic pads, I also took off my calipers to paint them, so after install I bled the brakes starting with the furthest wheel from the master and worked closer, took it for a quick ride at normal speeds and braked as normal, every thing worked great way better than stock. So I threw the old rotors away since they were warped. Well a couple of days went by and I was out driving and had to stop hard and heard a loud clicking, almost knocking noise coming from only the rear drivers side. I dont know all that much about brakes so I asked the father in law and when we took the wheel off and there is quite a bit of room in the stud holes, if you grab the rotor like a steering wheel you can turn it back and forth about an 1/8 to a 1/ of an inch, the father in law says thats the problem, but for one I cant remeber if the stockers were like that or not and I threw those away, and two all of the rotors are like that but the noise is only coming from the rear drivers side. So if anyone knows what could be the problem please tell me. BTW even when braking hard and hear the some what loud noise the car stops great.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:04 PM
rwb

Re: Need help with my brakes

The stud holes are too big, there should be little or no play on the rotor. It will eventually cause problems, probably crack or possibly break a stud. My Baer eradispeeds (eratawealth) fit like a glove.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:30 AM

If thats the problem is there a way to fix it? I was thinking about getting some nuts that fit the stud and rounding them off and use them for fillers,but I dont know if that would work. I cant afford new rotors so thats out of the question. and if the holes are to big then why dont the other three wheels make any noise?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:55 PM

The rotors should not move at all with the wheel and lug nuts in place and tightened down. Since you said Ebay rotors it makes me thing they made the holes on the rotors to be almost universal for 5 bolt lug patterns by making the holes bigger. Did you try to tighten the lug nuts more?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:47 PM

I tightend them as tight as they wil go, I also wedged a piece of a bolt in there temporarily and it still made the noise.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:49 PM

Thumbs up Re: Need help with my brakes

Originally Posted by rwb
The stud holes are too big, there should be little or no play on the rotor. It will eventually cause problems, probably crack or possibly break a stud. My Baer eradispeeds (eratawealth) fit like a glove.
I also second this opinion, my Baer Eradispeed rotors fit very tight also.

SteveC
Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 PM

#1. Check all your torque specs.

If it was the hole, all you have to do is rotate them to the rear where the leading edge of the hole is already against the stud. This way when your pads grabs the rotor they are already against the stud. Also if they are the correct thickness in the hub area, once you tighten your lugs down they would be firmly compressed and wouldn't move around. Seeing how its just 1 corner I'd say the noise is something besides the holes being larger. Put the other rotor on that side just to see if the noise follows the same rotor. If it does, get another rotor. If not, the prob is something else.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 PM

once you tighten down the wheel to the axle, there is no way the rotor will shift. if it does, then you wheel is next to fall off because you didn't tighten the lugnuts enough. are there scratch marks on the wheel from the caliper swinging out because the lower bolt that holds the caliper to the bracket, or lower caliper bracket fell out? one thing that happened to me one day is the four bolts that hold the backing plate to the axle came loose. this allowed the entire e-brake assembly to move around binding into the rotor.

it's not the rotor. the stock ones are that way also. just go back over all the bolts that hold your caliper and bracket on and see which ones are loose. only other thing is a brake pad shifting because it got put in wrong and slipped out of place. but wouldn't make a constant claking noise. just one clack when you hit the brakes. i'm betting on the caliper bolt or caliper bracket bolt fell out. look on the wheel and caliper for grinding/scoring marks from rubbing onto each other.

Last edited by mrr23; 08-15-2005 at 06:18 PM.