Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

need advice on used ls1 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 01:02 AM

need advice on used ls1 brakes

at the junkyard , there is a wrecked 99Z that i want the brakes off of do do ls1 conversion. they look to be in good condition except for the rust on the inside of the fins. he wants 200 for 4 calipers and rotors . is this a good deal? how about a price - the rotors? thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 10:00 AM

Re: need advice on used ls1 brakes

You need more than just the calipers and rotors, you also need the front spindle arms. If the car was hit in the front, then you have to be careful that these arms aren't bent.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by LT4Firehawk
You need more than just the calipers and rotors, you also need the front spindle arms. If the car was hit in the front, then you have to be careful that these arms aren't bent.
do i need the rear spindle arms as well? the car was hit in the rear and the whole front end looks to be in great condition.

thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 10:26 AM

No, I'm not sure exactly what you need for the rear as I didn't do it. Honestly, I don't think it's worth bothering to replace the rear brakes.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:17 AM

I could be wrong, but don't LS1's have a different master cylinder, too? I know their front breaks are 2-piston calipers, whereas LT1 breaks are only 1-piston. It seems to me they must be running more lines, at least.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:43 PM

I'd say just upgrade the front brakes. The LT1 rears are singled pistons, but they're PBRs and are very good calipers. Most folks just do the front...I'm still in my "gathering" mode to do my LS1 swap.

Yes, you need more than the calipers and rotors. You'll need the front spindles and you can re-use the front hubs. I hear that you can re-use the existing LT1 front line and bend the bracket to make them reach, but I'm thinking if you're already in there, get yourself some LS1 stainless steels lines as well.

As for a new master cylinder, I haven't heard that. Even though the front is 2 pistons, there's still only one line to the calipers.

See what he quotes you for just the fronts...I wouldn't pay $200 for all 4. Else, check in EBay...there's always someone selling LS1 front brake kits. Else, do a search on the message board...I hear there's a salvage yard in Ohio or so that sells the full kit (spindles, calipers, rotors) for $135 shipped...something like that.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by WestCoast96Z28
I'd say just upgrade the front brakes. The LT1 rears are singled pistons, but they're PBRs and are very good calipers.
>>what are PBR's? also i know they are aluminum and the fronts are iron, are the LS1 fronts alum. or iron?

Yes, you need more than the calipers and rotors. You'll need the front spindles and you can re-use the front hubs.
>> if he can cut me a deal on the hubs too should i just get them??

I hear that you can re-use the existing LT1 front line and bend the bracket to make them reach, but I'm thinking if you're already in there, get yourself some LS1 stainless steels lines as well.
>> i am planning on getting s.s. lines without a doubt.

As for a new master cylinder, I haven't heard that. Even though the front is 2 pistons, there's still only one line to the calipers.
>> i havent heard that either and one line still makes sense
I hear there's a salvage yard in Ohio or so that sells the full kit (spindles, calipers, rotors) for $135 shipped...something like that.
>>i head about that a while ago.

thanks for the help!
Old 07-20-2004, 02:55 PM

The LT1 master cylinder will work fine with the LS1 (or other aftermarket brakes). The LT1 piston size is enormous compared to the LS1, and I think the volume is actually greater on the LT1 than the LS1 for the front pistons. From my upgrade, here is what's needed:
front LS1 spindles
front LS1 calipers
front LS1 pads
front LS1 rotors

You can either reuse your stock LT1 lines by bending the tab down to a 90 degree angle or you can get longer lines. Either way will work fine.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:58 PM

[QUOTE=LT4Firehawk]The LT1 master cylinder will work fine with the LS1 (or other aftermarket brakes). The LT1 piston size is enormous compared to the LS1, and I think the volume is actually greater on the LT1 than the LS1 for the front pistons. From my upgrade, here is what's needed:
front LS1 spindles
front LS1 calipers
front LS1 pads
front LS1 rotors

i have a buddy that said i can have his front rotors , so at the junkyard what would you guys say is a reasonable price for front calipers and spindles?
Old 07-26-2004, 10:00 AM

Clevland pick apart, 200 plus shiping I think

Last edited by YZF/LS1 Freak; 07-26-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:00 AM

The local salvage yard I've used for other stuff charges $65/each for the spindles. Not sure on the calipers.