Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

LT1-LS1 Brakes - [Lines/Hubs]

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 08:50 PM

LT1-LS1 Brakes - [Lines/Hubs]

Alright well I finally got my LS1 front brake upgrade done and they look and work great except for a few things.

First I couldnt get either the LS1 or LT1 lines to go long enough without being really tight. I ended up leaving the LS1 lines on and just unclipping where the hard line and rubber line hook to the body and zip tied it. Now I'd rather not leave it like that. What would be the easiest way to get the LS1 set longer without going to Stainless lines? I thought about bending the hard line off the caliper, but wasnt sure how many people have gotten away with that fix.

Second, my biggest problem is the way the car feels now. I am thinking that the hubs in the knuckles I bought are shot because I can hear and feel a rubbing that cycles in relation to wheel speed. It also gets louder and more noticeable while cornering. The car also seems to slow quicker without braking. I dont think its the pads or anything else since it still rubs while braking in corners, but perhaps I am mistaken. I plan on replacing them tomorrow with the old LT1 hubs.

I'd like to add something else. I used Hawk pads and in using those I couldnt get the middle clip in the caliper to fit onto them. If anyone has tips on that it would be appriciated too. The clip that seems to back the pads off the rotor.

A former mechanic and GM employee did 95% of the install and I watched most of the time making sure nothing was missed. So hopefully it wasnt installed wrong.

-Dustin-
Old 06-29-2005, 10:28 AM

Re: LT1-LS1 Brakes - [Lines/Hubs]

I did the LS1 brake swap as well on my 97. I got two seperate sets of spindles from a local wrecker and in both cases one of them was bent. When I got the second set, I just decided to straighten the bent one on a hydraulic press until it was precisely symmetrical to the undamaged spindle.

The way the fellows at the wrecking yard throw the vehicles around with the fork lift (or whatever) I think that these parts are often damaged. This may be causing your problems (tire rubbing somewhere?). It is probably worth a look. You should have similar clearance on each side between the back of the spindle and the spring.

I am also keen to find a better brake hose solution - I am still using the LT1 hoses with the mounting bracket bent down to eliminate the binding problem.

I would like to go stainless if anyone knows a manufacturer and part number.

Best of luck.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:49 PM

i have stainless ones for an ls1, they work great on mine
Old 06-29-2005, 08:19 PM

I havn't put mine on but I have stainless lines for my year of car. I have been told by many people that the lines for the LS1 cars are too short for the LT1 cars. Many people have done this swap and are just using the orignal LT1 lines.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Lines turned out ok the way I have them and I can spend $$80-100 on stainless right now. However the one hub was bad, it sounded like a gear drive when I removed it. I put the LT1 in and it works great. Thanks fellas.

-Dustin-
Old 07-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Hey Dustin, on a side note, was it worth the 250 or so you probably spent on it?
I've been toying with the idea of doing it to mine when I get the spare time.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:19 PM

I feel it was worth it. I bought the whole LS1 setup with freshly turned rotors for $175. Then I needed pads, Hawk, for about $75. So $250 is about right for a total price. The car stops alot better, though, I debated on wether it was worth it or not also. My thinking was first about safety. Stopping the car quicker could prevent accidents in many ways and allow me to have more time to manuver obsticles. I also thought if I was speeding and hit the brakes when I saw a cop, I might even save myself a ticket and higher insurance rates by being a few mph's slower. All these things combined along with painting them nicely with VHT caliper paint and adding CAMARO decals for a very nice appearance mod led me to buy and install them. I got them done and they looked sweet, a great appearance mod, but also a huge difference in stopping. I was no longer planting the brake pedal when I light suddenly changed or a car quickly switched lanes, I simply apply about half a much pressure to stop the same. It also fills in the 17" SS wheels nicely unlike my small looking stock LT1's discs. But I would definately recommend using you old hubs if you know they work good. I bought my ste from Pick-a-part in Cleveland. They specialize in everything LS1. Good luck man.

-Dustin-
Old 07-04-2005, 07:34 AM

Thanks man. I think I might do it once my front pads go out. Guess I'll have to check them and see when that might be.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:06 AM

Yup, I considered it on mine since the rotors and pads where getting real low.

-Dustin-
Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 PM

I am still using the stock LT1 lines but i didn't bend the bracket down (still in stock position) is this a problem? it is tight but i dont notice any binding whatsoever....

will this 'tightness' cause the lines to crack/break at any point?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:41 PM

I wouldnt want them too tight, mine were tight enough to give me worry, so I unclipped them and it gave enough extra length to give me peace of mind. The way I see it is if its tight off the ground, how tight is it when you turn while hitting a bump or incline...it might just snap.

Another follow up, something was wrong with my setup. Either bent spindles or something. I went for an alignment and the toe-out was off by an 1"...the guy said 1/16" was bad. It cause a bit of extra inside wear on one tire, and ALOT on the other. I moved both to the rear to even them out

-Dustin-