Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

LS1 brakes installed, bye bye LT1 crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 05:10 PM

Thumbs up LS1 brakes installed, bye bye LT1 crap

WOW, love them. Got a very good deal thru Rick @ "pick-a-part" on ebay. Got 2002 complete assembly with 1-2 years life left on rotors & pads for only $395 CDN shipped!! Agostino Racing installed for $334 in 4 hrs. Alignment $80...DONE. The 98-02 system is lighter too. Instead of wondering when the car was going to stop...I can now say I will stop whenever and wherever I want.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:46 PM

Re: LS1 brakes installed, bye bye LT1 crap

I have about 750$ invested in my ZO6 brakes, all brand new parts. 334$ to install LS1 brakes? ouch...
Old 08-10-2005, 11:24 PM

thats Canadian dollars. I just did the LS1 upgrade myself during my engine rebuild, got the car running, but haven't been able to really test the new brakes yet. I had some stainless brake lines made that work like a champ. They are 16 inches long.

ZMAN
Old 08-10-2005, 11:40 PM

I went through Rick at Pick a Part when I got my LS1 brake upgrade. He was a very nice guy. I even had a problem with one of my calipers and he shipped me a new one for free.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:56 PM

just installed mine now all I have to do is bleed the system....then on to the funnest part breaking them in lol
Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 AM

I got my LS1 brakes from the same guy, but I picked them up at the yard. They are out of Strongsville, OH area and specialize in anything LS1. Beware though, one of my LS1 hubs sounded like a gear drive, and one of the sprindles where bent a bit. They of course promised they werent, but it was after the 90 days when I installed them, so I couldnt return them.

Great braking system thought, leaps and bounds better than my stock setup.

-Dustin-
Old 08-15-2005, 07:36 AM

I know a couple bucks more can get you the ultimate, but when you still need to fit a 16" rim that was my only option.

I hear that when you use Hawk HP+ pads that the braking is unreal, along with the brake dust too, ohhh welll, more washes!!
Old 08-17-2005, 04:52 PM

Just did the same swap myself. Very satisfied with the results. If I still have the car when these pads wear out, I may go to the C5 setup, but these are much nicer than the old stockers.

For anyone else considering the swap, if you have the tools and the time to do it, it is not a terribly difficult job. Hardest part is tweaking the hard lines a bit to get them lined up with the brackets holding the flexible lines.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:36 AM

i did the LS1 front brake upgrade on my car, used stock LT1 brake lines and everything seems to work/fit just fine. great upgrade although i did end up spending about $1,000 when all was said and done just because I did it myself and it was a HUGE learning experience for me.... learned how brakes work! lol, learned how my front suspension comes off too! BIG BIG BIG braking difference.... dont let anyone tell you differently... they may say that 'it only cuts off like 10 feet from braking distance' ... i think its much more than that personally, bigger pad, bigger rotor....

if i had to do it again it wouldn't have cost me NEARLY as much ... so like i said, learning experience!!!!

edit: just saw the post above, i didn't have to do anything to my hard lines to get my flexible lines to fit ... i actually went out and bought a new pair of LS1 brake lines and later found out that they're the exact same length .... the passenger side one has no slack at all after the wheel is turned full-left, but i didn't think it mattered for brake lines....

Last edited by pillagenburn; 08-18-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
i did the LS1 front brake upgrade on my car, used stock LT1 brake lines and everything seems to work/fit just fine. great upgrade although i did end up spending about $1,000 when all was said and done just because I did it myself and it was a HUGE learning experience for me.... learned how brakes work! ...
Jeez? 1K? you could of had the C5 setup for that? what ended up costing so much. As i see it the LS1 setup should be a cheap setup. I wouldn't buy aftermarket rotors, high dollar pads and brake lines because if you are gonna buy all new parts for the LS1 setup you might as well go C5 and buy C5 lines, rotors, and pads.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:08 PM

I about $110 in my LS1 swap. Bought it all seperate, spindles for $50 and a pair of 18k mile caliper with bolts and brackets for $60. All I need is rotors, pads and I will be putting in some SSB lines. I will be using the raybestos quite stop? There like $50. Friend has them and his wheels stay cleaner than his car, and it stops good. And my dad will make the lines at work for me(hydraulic shop)

Cant wait to feel the differece, the LT1 brakes werent all that bad at low speed, but when your moving pretty good, good luck.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:34 PM

I just got my LS1 swap done last night and I have a question for anyone who has done this also. How far out of alignment we your front tires after the swap? My left front was toed out quite a bit and the camber is way off on the right front. I'll be taking it to an alignment shop tomorrow. I got my parts from Rick at pick-a-part as well. The knuckles looked good before I put them on. Just wondering if I got a bent one or 2. Thanks for the help.

Brian

89 Formula 350
94 Formula 350
Old 08-21-2005, 12:54 PM

Are LS1 spindles needed in addition to the Bishop et al C5 brackets when installing the C5 brakes on an LT1 car?

What about for the rear? Are new brake lines needed?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by kainZ
Are LS1 spindles needed in addition to the Bishop et al C5 brackets when installing the C5 brakes on an LT1 car?

What about for the rear? Are new brake lines needed?
No, you use LT1 spindles or LS1 spindles with Bishop brackets. You need new front lines as well. Upgrading the rear brakes is useless and doesnt need to be done.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:15 PM

Does anyone know what parts are needed to upgrade the LT1 brake lines to work with the C5 brakes / Bishop brackets?

Quick Reply: LS1 brakes installed, bye bye LT1 crap