Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

KYB's and Eibachs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:01 PM

KYB's and Eibachs

Anyone have any suggestions on running KYB shocks and Eibach springs? Good/Bad?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:17 PM

Don't
Old 12-31-2006, 01:13 PM

i have eibach pro kit springs with kyb agx shock. the combo works great, and i've put 10k on the set up. if i was you i get some bilstiens, there the same price as the agx's. i woudl have done this but they didn't lower the prices until after i installed the set up.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by 94/96ZsM6s
i have eibach pro kit springs with kyb agx shock. the combo works great, and i've put 10k on the set up. if i was you i get some bilstiens, there the same price as the agx's. i woudl have done this but they didn't lower the prices until after i installed the set up.
I've been reading on the bilsteins and i see that they have a "revalved" version. The price is a little bit more than i want to spend but what is the main difference in them, peformance wise?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 AM

eibach and bilstein are the ultimate. koni yellows aren't bad either. kyb might as well get monroe or gabriel.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:46 AM

Well when it comes to shock you defenetly want a shock that can match your spring rates.

The best are the Koni SA, with those yo can adjust the damper anytime you want from street adjustement to a more agreesive one for the track.

You could also get some Bilstein re-valved to your springs rate.If you dont need an adjustable shock those are the way to go.

I never heard great things about the Kyb AGX on a f-body...

Just remember that you cant install lowering spring on basic replacement shock like Bilstein HD,monroe,gabriel or kyb gr2.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 AM

I would stay away from the KYBs, as noted above. Konis would definitely be your best bet, but may be out of your budget. Bilsteins would be the next runner up.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by always faster
I never heard great things about the Kyb AGX on a f-body...

Just remember that you cant install lowering spring on basic replacement shock like Bilstein HD,monroe,gabriel or kyb gr2.
Can you elaborate on that a little? Also, a friend of mine lowered his car ('96 TA) and ran KYB AGX shocks ... not sure how it REALLY handles, but I know that right off the bat, they didn't even supply the proper hardware with the shocks . Then by the time he went to install them, they were "stuck" in the compressed position, and had to be "pumped up" a few times to get back to working?! That doesn't seem like quality pieces to me?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by always faster

So if i go with bilsteins and want to lower the car I cant get the HD's and eibachs I have to get the revalved ones?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:03 PM

no you can. the hd's are perfect for the pro-kit and the bilstein sports are excellent with the sportlines. revalves aren't needed and the $1500 bilstein adjustables that outperform the koni's are above and beyond excellent but obviously pricey.

Koni is a great company just a different option and it depends on your taste but gm uses bilstein. i'd go with either of the two that's in your budget in the end.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by kandied91z
no you can. the hd's are perfect for the pro-kit and the bilstein sports are excellent with the sportlines. revalves aren't needed and the $1500 bilstein adjustables that outperform the koni's are above and beyond excellent but obviously pricey.

Koni is a great company just a different option and it depends on your taste but gm uses bilstein. i'd go with either of the two that's in your budget in the end.
Im going to go with the prokit for springs. Im just looking for a shock that will compliment my springs and not really looking to spend $1000+ on a set-up. I'll do some more checking on the HDs and see what I can come up with. Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by kandied91z

Whoa man..... I have to disagree--with about everything you stated.

HD's are NOT perfect for lowered cars. Actually Bilstein states in no uncertai terms HD's are *not suitable* for lowered cars. Sports are, but they don't make Bilstein Sports for 4th gen's. And Sportlines are all about looks, not any kind of decently working suspension. Further, Bilstein doesn't make ANY adjustable shock for any f-body at all, let alone $1500 sets. Hell Koni DA's aren't $1500 a set. And Koni's start @ $725/set for a 4th gen, even less for a 3rd gen.

Also Bilstein doesn't have a "Revalved" version, they make HD's. Revalves are something I have done on a case-by-case basis to shock to make them control certain springs or uses. Basically I make the Sport valving they didn't care to, but I also do it for the person and use they are going to, not as a one size is good for everyone kind of thing.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:30 PM

Pro-kit and Revalves would run you about $769--around $795 shipped. Not quite $1000. But you could get better springs for just a little more, like the ones I had built because I was fed up with compromises for handling. Actually, shipped a set of our lowering springs and Revalves comes to just about $824 *shipped*.

Do a search for my springs. I hide nothing, and there are lots of pics on various websites. But short version is the rates and heights are speced by me. They are about 1.25" lower (truly vs. the hit and miss of Eibach's). They are some 35% lighter in physical weight than Eibach's are (about 13 pounds a set).
Old 01-05-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Pro-kit and Revalves would run you about $769--around $795 shipped. Not quite $1000. But you could get better springs for just a little more, like the ones I had built because I was fed up with compromises for handling. Actually, shipped a set of our lowering springs and Revalves comes to just about $824 *shipped*.

Do a search for my springs. I hide nothing, and there are lots of pics on various websites. But short version is the rates and heights are speced by me. They are about 1.25" lower (truly vs. the hit and miss of Eibach's). They are some 35% lighter in physical weight than Eibach's are (about 13 pounds a set).
Sam i PMed you a few weeks back asking for some input and I havent had time to give you a call as ive been really busy with work and it is finally slowing down so i will be giving you a call here soon and we can get this figured out.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
they didn't even supply the proper hardware with the shocks
Can you explain what hardware was missing? I've never bought a shock that came with anything but the shock or strut itself and the bolts...mine came with bolts.
I've got AGX's on my '95 vert and I have to say I was unimpressed with them, they are alright and they will definitely stiffen the ride up when turn the dial to 4+. They definitely did not make the difference that they made for some of my other cars and trucks.

Quick Reply: KYB's and Eibachs