Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How can i handle as well as a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 02:52 PM

Re: How can i handle as well as a WRX?

since over 60% of new fbodys are sold to women
Where are you getting this figure from? I dont know 1 woman who bought a new Fbody. I am sure there were some but 60%......doubtful.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Red95M6Z28
Where are you getting this figure from? I dont know 1 woman who bought a new Fbody. I am sure there were some but 60%......doubtful.
wow. you personally only know one?

hmm, that must be a valid survey of all fbodys sold.

GM sales figures. well, i donno if they call them sales figures or sales data or what, but its GM numbers. keep in mind that this includes V6 cars... its a all inclusive figure.
they were looking at more then just the enthusiests and racers.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:34 PM

i probly should also point out that this info was taken from when the car first came out.. the new, redesigned 93...

its a decade old design, so current sales figures dont mean much... (esp since they REALLY went down hill in 03 )
Old 07-30-2004, 03:45 PM

Actually I said I DO NOT know one woman. Thats less than one its zero! I beleive many women bought 6cyl or 6cyl drop tops. I think very few bought z28 and even less ss's. I guess v6's count for fbodies.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Red95M6Z28
I hate to say it but I dont think anything will make a Fbody handle like a WRX. A corvette will hang in the twisties with a WRX but not a Fbody. Then....if dude has a WRX STI say goodnight!
I hope you're kidding man. I know a lot of Fbodies that will out handle a vette. A corvette will demolish a WRX also. WRXs do not handle like God made them himself. There's a reason that little is changed to a vette when they're road raced.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:11 PM

Getting some subframe connectors wouldn't be such a bad thing for autocrossing.

But yeah, this is going to be all driver from here. Just walk the course and plan how exactly you are going to drive.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:55 PM

For the record, my mom had a 93 z28 and now has an 02 z28.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:11 PM

3rd gens advantage is being overall lighter, and PLENTY of options in springs and strut combo's and setups. Everythings been practically figured out and done at this point.

4th gen's have the advange of being more powerful, better brakes, wider tires, and technically a better designed front suspension, but the afermarket options are more limited. You can probably argue that both, the revisioned suspesion made it more civilized (since it could better effectively keep the tires planted thru a wider travel range), but GM also made them a bit softer to keep more people happier. its biggest downside is probably its weight.

The 4th gen's in CMC are doing just fine, and seem to be faster than the 3rd gen's, even with a restrictor plate.. All this doesn't stop people with Mustangs that have technically on paper inferior suspension setups to be equally competative in the series though.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:21 PM

Look at what cars win actual AutoX races. Fbodies will show up in spades. Stock for stock, yes, the WRX will handle better, as they are designed to.

Get a well-researched and proven setup, and get yourself up to spec.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:14 AM
WOT

Originally Posted by snorkelface
Look at what cars win actual AutoX races. Fbodies will show up in spades. Stock for stock, yes, the WRX will handle better, as they are designed to.

Get a well-researched and proven setup, and get yourself up to spec.

First of all stop talking out of your *** like others in this thread. Stock F-bodies are faster than stock WRX's. WRX's are in DS and F-bodies are in FS under SCCA rules. Guess what-FS is FASTER than DS. Now STI's are classified in AS which is faster than f-body. Look at results from SCCA Nationals.

If it's your first autocross it won't matter what you drive. I've outrun many Z06's. Why? Because the owners are inexperienced and cannot drive or are too worried about their Zaino. Point is at a local autocross it's more about the driver than the car. You could show up at your first autocross in a Formula Ford and get beaten by a honda civic with a more experienced driver.

X car will NEVER handle like Y car. You can setup two cars to run ientical times but they will NEVER handle a like. There are a lot of ignorant pony car owners that want to make their car handle like a Z06. The reply is simple-your car can be modded to run identical times but it will never feel the same as a Z06. It may not be as balanced or easy to control.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

The WRX, and the F-bodies... are two different cars... built for two different genres

Ones designed for Rallying... the other for Ripping down 1/4 miles...

I don't think Car to car that an F-body can out handle a WRX, but it can sure out perform one... With the solid rear on the F-body it's laughable at how these cars can out manuever any car with an independent rear suspension. Now vettes on the other hand aren't designed to be 1/4 cars... thier more of the Circle track type. I hate to say it but F-bodies have the worst suspension setup... it's the biggest dissadvantage of the car if you want to do anything other than drive straight... I've done allot of Suspension upgrades to my car, and I must say the car handles tight...but the frame flexis like hell... on occasion (subs on way) feels like the car wants to tear itself apart at times when taking sharp turns ETC... but it's all down to the driver. If you put enough seat time in you can figure out how to beat any car in retrospec...
Old 11-22-2004, 08:22 AM

F-bodies do not have a bad suspension design, and handle very well. My Firehawk in stock form would turn times around our local roadcourse faster than my modded C4 Vette or stock C5s, and is only 4 seconds a lap slower than my Z06 was at that track. Yes, the f-body is great at 1/4 mile use, but it is also great at handling use (autox or roadcourse). If you don't believe me about how good the suspension is, just check out the results from national SCCA competition and compare the stock f-body times to other cars that compete.

Also, just FYI, but the times that WRXs turn at our local roadcourse are several seconds a lap slower than f-bodies in general.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
The WRX, and the F-bodies... are two different cars... built for two different genres

Ones designed for Rallying... the other for Ripping down 1/4 miles...

I don't think Car to car that an F-body can out handle a WRX, but it can sure out perform one... With the solid rear on the F-body it's laughable at how these cars can out manuever any car with an independent rear suspension. Now vettes on the other hand aren't designed to be 1/4 cars... thier more of the Circle track type. I hate to say it but F-bodies have the worst suspension setup... it's the biggest dissadvantage of the car if you want to do anything other than drive straight.
It's funny that F-body suspensions are so bad that the Mustang road racers will spend about $5,000 to convert to a torque arm setup like we have (I have been working on one car that just had this conversion done to it) for road race use. The standard mustang suspension (and old Chevelle, etc) was far worse for road racing (and possibly better suited for drag racing) than the F-body's design ever has been.

The F-body did not accidentally pull the skidpad numbers that is does. GM engineered that car to have some handling ability. The 1LE "roadrace" package was designed for road course competition. I was going to say that GM never offered a "Drag package", but I guess you could count that NHRA Firebird thing they did (it was not nearly the package that the 1LE was though).

F-bodies and WRX's are different cars. Both have strengths and weaknesses. On a road course, stock for stock, a WRX will likley be equalled in grip and outpowered as well. In an autocross, having 4 driving wheels to transfer power around is a big benefit. Also, those cars are physically smaller which helps them get through the cones. Many F-bodies have beaten the Subaru's, but that is starting to change in some autocross classes (as the Scooby crowd "finds" the hot setup). And, if it rains, a WRX will kill you in an autocross. That's just life with AWD.

And, I've never seen a Corvette on a "circle track". They do run on road courses quite well though.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:57 AM

Arrow Re: How can i handle as well as a WRX?

Originally Posted by trackbird
It's funny that F-body suspensions are so bad that the Mustang road racers will spend about $5,000 to convert to a torque arm setup like we have (I have been working on one car that just had this conversion done to it) for road race use. The standard mustang suspension (and old Chevelle, etc) was far worse for road racing (and possibly better suited for drag racing) than the F-body's design ever has been.

The F-body did not accidentally pull the skidpad numbers that is does. GM engineered that car to have some handling ability. The 1LE "roadrace" package was designed for road course competition. I was going to say that GM never offered a "Drag package", but I guess you could count that NHRA Firebird thing they did (it was not nearly the package that the 1LE was though).

F-bodies and WRX's are different cars. Both have strengths and weaknesses. On a road course, stock for stock, a WRX will likley be equalled in grip and outpowered as well. In an autocross, having 4 driving wheels to transfer power around is a big benefit. Also, those cars are physically smaller which helps them get through the cones. Many F-bodies have beaten the Subaru's, but that is starting to change in some autocross classes (as the Scooby crowd "finds" the hot setup). And, if it rains, a WRX will kill you in an autocross. That's just life with AWD.

And, I've never seen a Corvette on a "circle track". They do run on road courses quite well though.
Beat me to it.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

I'm glad you guys find the suspension setup of the F-bodies feasable. I honestly just don't believe a solid rear axle car is ment to be a corner performer... and I couldn't see how that statement can be made true. I don't know what year mustang your speaking of but before I was an F-body guy I was a Pony man... The Suspension setup on the later mustangs are beyond an f-body I don't see how anyone could compare the two. Even the older Fox bodies have a better suspension advantage on the f-bodies. Maybe depending on the vehicle our Tranny mouted torque arm setup might be ideal... but I don't think many people would agree our TQ arms are an ideal setup. From my experience my car never handled untill I removed and upgraded the stock setup... and even then these cars still have thier quirks... I don't see why most people compare these cars to corvettes handeling wise... other than the engines and some other bolt on components we have nothing in common. Out the Box Corvettes are already road race material... and if you remember even Fords track engineered Cobra-R could barely heep up with the Vette head to head. Personally I stated that the F-bodies have a bad suspension setup because they Flex to much... the unibody frame on these cars are what makes them so difficult. I'm not saying it's impossible to make an F-body a Cliff hanger... I'm just saying the challenge to get there is that much greater.

All I"m saying is these cars are engineered better for going straight...than turning.....

Last edited by Heatmaker; 11-22-2004 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: How can i handle as well as a WRX?