Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

How can i handle as well as a WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:19 AM

How can i handle as well as a WRX?

Hey all, i got challenged to an auto cross race by some *** in a wrx, i know those cars potent and the rally course is what they were made for. How can i level the playing field short of converting my car to awd? thanks guys
Old 07-28-2004, 09:11 AM

Re: How can i handle as well as a WRX?

After going for a ride in my buddies WRX, I have to say that I was completely blown away by how well they handle. I have just about every suspension part available on my car and it still cant really compare to what a wrx can do.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:58 AM

one thing that would help is to practice driving your car competitively...the weakest link in every car is the driver.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:32 AM

I agree, the driver is going to make a much bigger difference than the car. Also, a lot of it depends on what kind of course design you race on. If it's a short, tight course (laid out by Miata lovers) then there may not be anything you can do. If it's a bigger, longer course with more high speed sections, then you may have an advantage. Personally I don't bother with autox anymore as all my time is focused on roadcourse events, where our cars are much more at home.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:32 PM

i heard they have slightly worse weight distribution then fbodies? or maybe it was some other overrated import that everyone likes. they are quick though and have a shorter wheelbase and such. but thats whats great about autox and road racing, someone could have a non street legal race car and still get owned cuz they cant drive just practice maybe and get a good set of tires, maybe even borrow some slicks from a friend? hehe
Old 07-29-2004, 12:58 PM

I hate to say it but I dont think anything will make a Fbody handle like a WRX. A corvette will hang in the twisties with a WRX but not a Fbody. Then....if dude has a WRX STI say goodnight!
Old 07-29-2004, 01:12 PM

wrx/wrx sti's aren't as god like as you may think...i can immediately think of one guy who outslallomed (autox course made strictly of slaloms) a sti with a lightly modified fbody....
Old 07-29-2004, 01:33 PM

Believe me I dont think Subarus are god. But have you driven an STI? If not I think you should. Ever driven a Mistu Lancer EVO? Again, I think you should. They are miles ahead of Fodys In basically every dept except torque.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Red95M6Z28
I hate to say it but I dont think anything will make a Fbody handle like a WRX. A corvette will hang in the twisties with a WRX but not a Fbody. Then....if dude has a WRX STI say goodnight!
My Firehawk is faster than my 92 Vette (LT1 w/ suspension mods) was around our local roadcourse (and the 92 Vette was as fast as all the stock C5s at a Corvette event), and is only 4 seconds a lap slower than my Z06 was (1:29 for Z06, 1:33 for Firehawk, 1:34 for modded C4/stock C5). WRXs on the same track typically lap in the mid to high 1:40s.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:45 PM

all you need is sticky tires and a better driver.

the WRX will still FEEL faster, but the numbers wont lie.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:02 PM

Autocross is 80% driver. Unless you've been doing it for a while or the other guy never has you don't have a chance. And yes an fbody can beat a wrx given same driver.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Red95M6Z28
Believe me I dont think Subarus are god. But have you driven an STI? If not I think you should. Ever driven a Mistu Lancer EVO? Again, I think you should. They are miles ahead of Fodys In basically every dept except torque.

fbodies weren't built to corner well. but with just a little modding and seat time, can outrun a sti or evo....

of course, modding opens up a whole other discussion...
Old 07-30-2004, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lucas Black
fbodies weren't built to corner well. but with just a little modding and seat time, can outrun a sti or evo....

of course, modding opens up a whole other discussion...
well.. the 3rdgens were..

but it also made the ride a lil harsher... and women dont like that.
since over 60% of new fbodys are sold to women, GM changed the front suspension when they redesigned the Fbody for the 93 model year.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

since over 60% of new fbodys are sold to women, GM changed the front suspension when they redesigned the Fbody for the 93 model year.
i wouldn't say 3rd gens were THAT great at corner-carving either....but that is just my opinion.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

Isn't the front supension on a 4th gen short-long arm better than the 3rd gen. I still the 3rd gen is great and handles good, but the desgin is better on the 4th gen, and it depends on how you use it. I think...

Quick Reply: How can i handle as well as a WRX?