Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

brakes rebulit and replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 PM

brakes rebulit and replacement?

I'm looking to replace my rebuild my front calipers but also looking to replace my rotors and brake lines. I was lookin to get either rotors form summitracing.com http://store.summitracing.com/partde...UM-DSEP-55034L
or from gm performance http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...umber=19171339
has anyone tried either one .. also were can i get a good set braided lines..
Old 10-24-2007, 08:15 PM

if i had the money id do the c5 upgrade
Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 PM

Exclamation

i would do 2. but i dont plan on keeping my car. also who makes the best braided brake lines.. earsl, goodridge , russel
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
nfa

the best ss lines in my opinion are stoptech. look up the specs/features compareds to the others and you will see why.

Originally Posted by touch109
i would do 2. but i dont plan on keeping my car. also who makes the best braided brake lines.. earsl, goodridge , russel
Old 10-28-2007, 12:34 PM

so nobody has any objection with either the gm performance rotors or summit racing rotors.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:39 PM

I have the summit rotors with EBC red stuff pads and love it. Dropped my stopping distance significantly. I'm looking for a good set of braided lines so I can't help you there.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:04 PM

ok has anyone tried the gm cross drilled ones.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by RedTtop6spd
I have the summit rotors with EBC red stuff pads and love it. Dropped my stopping distance significantly. I'm looking for a good set of braided lines so I can't help you there.
The more agressive pads dropped your stopping distance. The x-drilled rotors just gave you some bling and weak spots for cracks to form. Atributing better braking to the x-drilled rotors would be the equivalent of adding chrome to an engine and saying it runs better.

Touch,
If you're not keeping the car. Just get some part store blanks. They will actually perform better than x-drilled rotors. Your choice of pads will make a bigger difference than your choice of rotors.

Also you can help your pedal feel w/out the braided lines. Flush the system with some fresh performance oriented brake fluid and save some $$$ there too. I prefer ATE Superblue for my daily driver.

If your calipers arent sticking, a rebuild will do nothing for you.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 10-28-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:44 PM

what brake fluid should i get.. I wont be getting rid of my car till some time around spring next year. so i wanted to have some good stoping power for the occasional street race and some last burn outs. the calipers are ok the only that was sticking was the pin on the caliper brakcet which i replaced. i was just going to rebuild them cause the seals were broken and just in case i should it to someone instead of trading it to the dealer..
Old 10-28-2007, 06:36 PM

what brake fluid should i get.. I wont be getting rid of my car till some time around spring next year. so i wanted to have some good stoping power for the occasional street race and some last burn outs. the calipers are ok the only that was sticking was the pin on the caliper brakcet which i replaced. i was just going to rebuild them cause the seals were broken and just in case i should it to someone instead of trading it to the dealer..
ATE Superblue if you can find it or want to order it. If you need readily available get Valvoline Syntec.

If your seals are not leaking and are just cracked then that is up to you. IMO I'd just get some rebuilt ones instead of doing the rebuild, but I'm older and less patient than I used to be.

Better braking can be had with replacement blank rotors. I know a guy who runs the Camaro Mustang Challenge racing series w/Autozone blanks. He gets a full season out of a set.

Choose some good performance pads like Hawk HPS or Axxis Metalmaster.

In my SS I'm running Bendix rotors, Metal Masters (they call them XGB now IIRC) pads and ATE fluid and the difference was night and day. I got too used to braking well that I had to make the wife's Gand Am match. So it is now running Axxis Ultimates (I had the Wagner blanks turned) and they made a huge difference too. Its time to flush her car's brake fluid also and in it I run the Valvoline.

BTW, did you try lubing that pin before replacing it?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 PM

what dot number are those brake fluids.. and the sliding pin on the bracket was stuck . it didnt come out with anything...
Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM

ok i bought blank rotors and stop tech brake lines but now what brake fluid should i use. i have to get it flushed its been almost 15 months since i had it changed.. what do i need to flush and how many cans. i was told to use ate super blue how many do i need..
Old 10-29-2007, 11:22 PM

I just bought the set of 4 ATE rotors through stranoparts.com for $354 shipped to my door! I can't wait for these badboys to come in hehe. I also order a set of hawk hps pads for $140 on ebay through ws6store.com's ebay store on there.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:47 PM

ok i bought blank rotors and stop tech brake lines but now what brake fluid should i use. i have to get it flushed its been almost 15 months since i had it changed.. what do i need to flush and how many cans. i was told to use ate super blue how many do i need..
I like ATE Superblue, but if you want readily available get Valvoline Syntec.

To flush, just put the fluid in and bleed starting on the passenger rear until the fluid come out clean. Then repeat on the driver rear and passenger front and driver front. Remember to add fluid as needed. 1 can of the Superblue was more than enough for me.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 10-30-2007 at 09:58 PM.