Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brake help! LS1 brakes on an LT1 rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:48 PM

Brake help! LS1 brakes on an LT1 rear end.

Hello,

I have completed the LS1 front brake upgrade with great results. My next quest is to upgrade the rear brakes from the LT1 style to the LS1 PBR style and this brings me to my question. What parts will I need for the swap? I already have the calipers, mounting brackets, rotors and pads. Will I need backing plates? Are my existing LT1 style steel brake lines sufficient? Anything else you can think of?

As always, thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Charlie
Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Re: Brake help! LS1 brakes on an LT1 rear end.

Ok, so I have discovered that I need to replace the backing plates and the emergency brake cable. Since my parts are free and all I will have into this swap is labor, I think I might continue on despite the huge gains associated with a .03 increase in bore size. My justifications for doing so are 1) I will be able to order brakes for an LS car instead of an LT car and not a mix of the two and 2) appearance, the front brakes look great and the rears look dated. I would like feedback if anyone has done this or is thinking about doing it.

Thanks again!

Charlie
Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM

You will need everything that you have in the two posts above. The axle shafts are slightly different lengths. If I remember correctly the LS1 shafts are shorter than the LT1 shafts. You may be able to do the swap with the LT1 axles but I'm not sure. If the calipers are centered over the rotor that is all that should matter. If you have the LS1 steel brake line I would use it. You can use the LT1 line but you will have to bend it to fit. I had both rears off the car when I swapped mine so I just swapped everything. The only noticeable gain is that the parking brake is much better. Also the spare tire from your 94 won't fit the LS1 brakes. You'll need one from a 97 or later model.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:33 PM

Great feedback, thank you very much. I am now in possession of the abutment plates, parking brake cables, parking brake cable brackets and the steel line. Do the LS1 parking brake cables mount the same as the LT1 style?

Thanks again,

Charlie
Old 08-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Do the LS1 parking brake cables mount the same as the LT1 style?

The cables mount the same under the car. They are different at the calipers but it isn't difficult to figure out.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:14 PM

Just to finish out this thread:

With this new caliper/pad orientation the pads are taken farther from the center point of the axle which means that there is an efficiency advantage to LS1 style brakes aside from the increased rotor thickness and diameter. Also the emergency brake uses a drum setup which increases hold exponentially. The rotors fill up the inside of the rim much better and provide better eye appeal in my opinion. Below is a pirated specifications abbreviation for reference.

Powerslot rotors
-----------------------------------------
LT1 rear rotor:
Part Number: PSR-8249PSR
Intended for Street Use: Yes
For Use with Stock Calipers: Yes
Rotor Construction: Vented
Rotor Style: Slotted surface
Rotor Outside Diameter (in): 11.540 in.
Rotor Thickness (in): 0.787 in.
LS1 rear rotor:
Part Number: PSR-8265PSR
Rotor Outside Diameter (in): 12.010 in.
Rotor Thickness (in): 1.022 in.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by charliediss
Just to finish out this thread:

With this new caliper/pad orientation the pads are taken farther from the center point of the axle which means that there is an efficiency advantage to LS1 style brakes aside from the increased rotor thickness and diameter. Also the emergency brake uses a drum setup which increases hold exponentially. The rotors fill up the inside of the rim much better and provide better eye appeal in my opinion. Below is a pirated specifications abbreviation for reference.

Powerslot rotors
LT1 rear rotor:
Part Number: PSR-8249PSR
Rotor Outside Diameter (in): 11.540 in.
Rotor Thickness (in): 0.787 in.
LS1 rear rotor:
Part Number: PSR-8265PSR
Rotor Outside Diameter (in): 12.010 in.
Rotor Thickness (in): 1.022 in.
sorry to bring this back from the dead but can we get a final confirmation on the axle shafts? Did you have to replace your LT1 with one from an LS? It’s impossible for me to find where I’m at & id like to avoid replacing the shafts if possible - doing this swap next month for the parking brake & just buying LS pads all around (got LS up front already)

thanks a lot!