Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bilstein HD's

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:13 PM

Thumbs up Bilstein HD's

My car was transformed from a mediocre handler to a corner carvin' machine this weekend thanks to Bilstein HD's on all corners, a 32mm swaybar upgrade from my pal's SS, and that friend's help - the install took ~7hours start to finish.

I kept the stock springs since this is a heavily used daily driver and I think that the front fender-gap is very reasonable on the LT1's. The hose mod lowered the rear 1/4-1/2'' the car is now almost perfectly level front to back.

The shocks are PHENOMENAL. I detected a noticeable difference on the local curvies, but the Bilsteins were truly awesome on the freeway. Turn in is crisp with only a bit of initial sway, then the car stays PLANTED throughout the turn - very confidence inspiring. The ride quality is only slightly affected and the performance gains more than justify the stiffer ride!

Also, a big thanks to bimmerparts.com for delivering four Bilstein HD's with excellent customer service in just two days, to my door. The warehouse happened to be close by, that helps.

Thanks for reading. Good luck with all yours everyone.

Brian
Old 03-07-2005, 12:46 AM

Re: Bilstein HD's

I have 2 questions regarding the "hose mod" that you did. First, how hard is it to do and what is involved? Second, how does it affect your ride? Does it make it harsher or what? I know it might be difficult to determine cuz you changed shocks at the same time, but im just wondering. Ha, I guess those 2 questions were more like 4.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:55 AM

I ran the HD's for a while with the Pro Kit...I was pretty pleased with the ride and handling.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:11 AM

the hose mod is very simple, as the rear suspension is pretty simple to work with in the first place - i'd do a search for a how-to.

there are no sounds or rattles due to removing the isolator so far. the stiffer ride seems to be more from the stronger dampers.

up to you - it's pretty safe to do though!

Last edited by pvkn1ght; 03-07-2005 at 12:09 PM.