Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Is anyone using EBC breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 12:33 PM

Question Is anyone using EBC breaks?

Hi, I live in the UK so I do not have much choice when it comes to parts.

My 1999 Z28 front rotors are warping again (3rd time) and the rear pads are noisy so I will need to replace them soon, my choices are:

1/. EBC / Green pads- easy to get hold of in UK and a £100 cheaper
2/. Powerslots / Hawk - Take 3 weeks and will cost £540 ($900)
3/. OEM - easy to get hold of in UK and cheapest

The advice I have had dealers is:
Slotted rotors - make more noise but look good and will last longer
Drilled rotors - may crack so stay away
Get OEM - they may not last long but at least they are cheap
Powerslots - much better than EBC but may not be worth the extra cost.

Please help, should I go for EBC?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:11 PM
Bert02SS

Cool Re: Is anyone using EBC breaks?

I'm due for replacement pads on my '02SS daily driver. I'd appreciate any advice, as well as "da UK guy".

Old 06-15-2005, 01:56 PM

Re: Is anyone using EBC breaks?

If you're just replacing pads, I would recommend stock pads or Hawk HPS Street pads. If you're going to replace the rotors as well, I would suggest Brembo blanks. No need to get slotted or cross-drilled rotors unless that's the look that you want. I went with the Brembo's because I was tired of the stock rotors warping every 10~15K miles. Happened on my old SS and on my current Z. The Powerslots didn't make a difference on the SS, so I decided not to waste the money on the Z.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
If you're just replacing pads, I would recommend stock pads or Hawk HPS Street pads. If you're going to replace the rotors as well, I would suggest Brembo blanks. No need to get slotted or cross-drilled rotors unless that's the look that you want. I went with the Brembo's because I was tired of the stock rotors warping every 10~15K miles. Happened on my old SS and on my current Z. The Powerslots didn't make a difference on the SS, so I decided not to waste the money on the Z.
Yeah, I went with autozone blanks and they are working out great, especially for the $38 I paid for each. I used the EBC green stuffs on my old V6 Firebird. It completely ate up my rotors. I doubt it was the pad but more likely the quality of the rotors that I had instead. In any case, I cannot recommend them to you as I don't have enough experience with them. I can recommend the NAPA ceramic pads. I have them on the Firehawk right now with the autozone blanks and it is great. I kid you not when I say these pads have next to NO brake dust. I am still amazed. My rear pads (still stock GM) put out WAY more dust! Not sure if you can get them in Britain though.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Hi

I've just fitted a full set of EBC discs and red pads to my 2001 SS here in the UK. They are just so much better than stock. I warped 2 sets of stock and this time upgraded. The EBC discs look good too with dimples and slots.

Gary
Old 06-18-2005, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by gary80vette
Hi

I've just fitted a full set of EBC discs and red pads to my 2001 SS here in the UK. They are just so much better than stock. I warped 2 sets of stock and this time upgraded. The EBC discs look good too with dimples and slots.

Gary
How many miles have you done on EBC discs and did you get them at a good price?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:46 AM

I have the green pads. They work fine on the street. I have read that they are not well suited to track use, though. I can't comment on the discs, though but the dimples sound interesting. Got a link for pictures of dimpled EBC discs?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bud M
I have the green pads. They work fine on the street. I have read that they are not well suited to track use, though. I can't comment on the discs, though but the dimples sound interesting. Got a link for pictures of dimpled EBC discs?
Link to EBC, you will find them at the bottom of the page
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Automotive.html
My dealer gave me a good price so I went for the RedStuff pads
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 AM

Hi

I've now done about 1K miles on the EBC discs and red pads and they perform perfectly in all conditions especially under hard braking at high speed. I've also noticed a significant reduction in brake dust on my wheels which is an added benefit when it comes to cleaning.

All I need to do now is paint the calipers red to match the pads to give a good cosmetic look.

I hope you have the same positive experience with yours when you get them fitted.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2005, 04:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your help,
The rotors and pads should arrive tomorrow and I will fit them over the weekend

I have only ever replaced the front rotors and pads, is it just as easy with the back set? what about the hand break adjustment?
While I am at it I may as well replace the break fluid, is it easy and do I need any special tools?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:59 AM

They turned up today and I was expecting them to be Zinc anodised but they are black, is this a mistake, the box says Gold Zink Coated?