Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Another drag setup question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Another drag setup question

Right now my car is on 88k mile bilsteins that sag to the passenger side. The car hooks good on the slicks at the track, but on the street it's TERRIBLE. I'm going to be putting in a UMI k-member in the next few weeks, but I dont think I'm going to put the a-arms yet. I'm going to use that 600 and change to put new shocks and springs. I was thinking QA1's, but was reading that some people like the summits. I'm also on a stock TA, which I think I need to ditch. The car will be on 28" tires on the street and track. My goal is to make it dead hook on the street in first.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM

Not that you can't improve your set-up, but the springs hold the car up, not the shocks.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Not that you can't improve your set-up, but the springs hold the car up, not the shocks.
yea that's what I meant
Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 PM

what other suspension mods do you have? I wouldn't start w/ a tubular k-member.... that isn't a very good bang for you buck traction mod.

and as far as shocks go, I am very happy with my lakewood 50/50's. They are great for the price and i have seen them work very well on several other cars.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by danhr
what other suspension mods do you have? I wouldn't start w/ a tubular k-member.... that isn't a very good bang for you buck traction mod.

and as far as shocks go, I am very happy with my lakewood 50/50's. They are great for the price and i have seen them work very well on several other cars.
The only thing the car has is tubular lower control arms. The motor is out, so i decided to get the k-member, I wanted it before but didnt have the cash. I'm not doing it for traction so much, its more of a weight savings. The car is pretty heavy now with the roll bar, 12-bolt, and nitrous kit. It still has a/c and all that good stuff. Wanted to do some weight savings that wouldnt hurt the car as far as features go. I do plan on getting the tubular arms after I get a good spring/shock combo. Ill take a look at the lakewoods. I guess anything is better than my stockers right now. What about springs?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 PM

rear springs, i run the v6 f-body springs on the back with v6 struts up front. i cut a .1 off my 60' from doing that. unless you want to dish out money for the eibach drag kit, i'd run the v6 springs because they are cheap and will cut better times than stockers

torque arm, i'd suggest the spohn tunnel braced adjustable one. I personally have an umi, and i snapped that with my bolt on lt1. UMI of course replaced it for free, but I'm hearing better things from spohn. tunnel braced is the way to go. period. and i keep my pinion angle @ -4*. -4.5* if you want to push it some more.

lca relocation brackets are a great bang for your buck mod as well.

and then last get an adj phb.

somewhere in the mix of that add a drag bar, how much body flex you are getting off the line is going to determine when you need that.

and above all.... STICKY TIRES
Old 10-16-2007, 06:41 AM

and above all.... STICKY TIRES
The only thing I do have, here's a pic of a launch from pinks all out. You can see how bad it twists to the passenger side. I think i'm going to go QA1s in the front, I was just talking with my neighbor who has them and likes them a lot. For the back maybe ill give the v6 springs a shot, just got to decide which shocks.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:57 AM

yeah... spohn drag bar. it will keep your car from twisting.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 97s10ondubs
The only thing I do have, here's a pic of a launch from pinks all out. You can see how bad it twists to the passenger side. I think i'm going to go QA1s in the front, I was just talking with my neighbor who has them and likes them a lot. For the back maybe ill give the v6 springs a shot, just got to decide which shocks.

So what kind of 60ft. times are you cutting now? Besides what is in my sig. I have relocation brackets and a airbag in the right rear. Considering I'm on stock shocks and Eibach pros the car hooks pretty well. Better then I thought it would. If I were you, I'd buy a Spohn tunnel mounted TA, some relocation brackets and the air bag.
I should get my car back tomorrow from the shop, (line lock, abs delete, cruise control delete, nitrous tune) and take it to the track one more time this year to check out the added HP. If I can't dead hook like it does now I'll get some QA1s for the front. But I'm not to crazy about the price or the fact they need rebuilding from time to time.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 AM

So what kind of 60ft. times are you cutting now?
I'm going between 1.62-1.66, it's not the track so much i'm worried about. I'm trying to make the car hook on the street. Right now the car hooks so hard it bogs at the track even off the rev limiter. If I can cut some more off the 60' that would be nice, but not my ultimate goal.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:33 PM

Your right, you did say dead hook on the street. That might be hard with your set-up (RWHP). If you do figure it out, you will have to give me a few tips.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Your right, you did say dead hook on the street. That might be hard with your set-up (RWHP). If you do figure it out, you will have to give me a few tips.
i predict it's going to take time and money
Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM

not really.

if he/she decides to run drag radials, the car can dead hook.

just remember to dial everything in correctly. I can launch my car from 2300 rpms and dead hook in my car on (non-drag) radial tires. given 97s10 has more power than me, he/she can opt to run drag radials, which will definetly allow the car to hook on the street
Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 PM

not really.

if he/she decides to run drag radials, the car can dead hook.

just remember to dial everything in correctly. I can launch my car from 2300 rpms and dead hook in my car on (non-drag) radial tires. given 97s10 has more power than me, he/she can opt to run drag radials, which will definetly allow the car to hook on the street
just so you know, this is what i run on the street..... they're M/T et street radial 275-60-15, still no traction , oh yea and I'm a HE

Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM

define "dead hook" too..... as in you want to punch it from a dead idle/stop and want it to hook? your ideal launch from a m6 is just a little bit of wheel spin.

first thing i would do is ditch the lca's and rear shocks. the stock lca's are very flimsy and shocks is the key element in suspension.

I honestly don't think a tubular k member shouldn't be on your shopping list at the moment. that money can be spent elsewhere and get better results. if you want that weight reduction, take out the front bumper supports... it's free and saves just as much weight. just hope you dont get in a front end collision

Quick Reply: Another drag setup question