Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

ABS experts help

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 01:10 PM

ABS experts help

Ok, so still working on my on goign problem with my ABS light coming on after driving a few feet since last august. I was pretty sure it was my rear sensor since right after i messed with it, the light started coming on. So in a feet to prove to myself it was that, i jacked up the rear end and put her in gear to let the rear wheels rotate, and no light. I jacked up the front end and turned them by hand to see if that would do anything, and nothing. So now I am confused on not only what is the problem, but why no light came on. As i understand, the sensors sense a difference in wheel speed....so shouldnt jacking up the back wheels and driving make the light come on anyways...since the front wheels are not spinning. Or turning one front wheel by hand and no other wheels cause something to happen? I just can't figure out how this is supposed to be working. So unless somebody else has an idea, ill be goign to the dealership to get it scanned in a little while.
Thanks
Bill
Old 05-10-2004, 08:20 PM

Don't pay some schmuck $65 bucks to scan your car. Just come see me in Hampton and I'll scan it for free.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:24 PM

my abs light comes on after a few feet as well.....i need to fix it i was thinking of just purchasing a used unit on ebay.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by CrAkD X 95TA
my abs light comes on after a few feet as well.....i need to fix it i was thinking of just purchasing a used unit on ebay.
Don't waste your time, scan it to find the problem. The time mine came on was the BCM. Had nothing to do with the ABS module. Got that a local Junk Yard for $25.00
Old 05-10-2004, 10:36 PM

I dont know if im getting things mixed up, but i recall a while back something about one of the wires in the fuse box under the hood was to small and it would burn up. Coulda been the fuse too. Im not sure. I know it was apart of a tech bulletin, and it was a wire. Just not sure if its the ABS one.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:48 AM

Hey slow poke. I sent you an email about meeting up to scan my car.
Thanks
Bill
Old 05-13-2004, 12:12 AM

As i understand, the sensors sense a difference in wheel speed....so shouldnt jacking up the back wheels and driving make the light come on anyways...since the front wheels are not spinning
Only when the brakes are applied, otherwise the light would come on everytime you spin the tires
Old 05-13-2004, 12:39 AM

Only when the brakes are applied, otherwise the light would come on everytime you spin the tires

The only reason i asked was that the inop light comes on without pushing the brakes. Just when i start moving really. Anyways i just ordered a new sensor from gmparts, still way overpriced for what it looks like it should cost.
Thanks for all your help
Bill
Old 05-13-2004, 12:55 AM

my abs light is always on never go's off. so it went to a shop and they told me the whole thing was bad and im like ya bullsh*t. so i take it to my friend who has a scanner and it is one code something about the front right sensor and i was wondering how u check the sensor. is it where it goes into the caliper or what? thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 01:06 AM

When mine got scanned, it said it was the rear sensor was bad or it was grounded. So I'm pretty sure the sensor went bad and the wire didn't magically just ground itself. Guess I'll find out for sure when i put in the new one. Hopefully that fixes it and i didnt waste $60.
Bill
Old 05-13-2004, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by ARTIC_Z
my abs light is always on never go's off. so it went to a shop and they told me the whole thing was bad and im like ya bullsh*t. so i take it to my friend who has a scanner and it is one code something about the front right sensor and i was wondering how u check the sensor. is it where it goes into the caliper or what? thanks
If you have the scanner like we used on all4chevy, it gives you the data stream from sensor in real time. This would show you whether the sensor was working or not.

BUT you better look at that code again because wheel sensor problems are usually soft codes and you have a hard code. Soft codes go off and come back on. You should also reset your code 2 or 3 times to be sure the same code returns and is not some sort of intermittent problem which is an indication of something else.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:28 AM

I just fixed my ABS problem last week and it didnt cost me anything. Take your relay out for the ABS near the fuses and hit it against something a few times. Put it back in and it should be fine. I had checked both the front and rear sensors but that wasnt the problem for me. Just try playing around with the fuses and re-adjust some and that might work....... worked for me
Old 05-13-2004, 12:06 PM

Have somebody check to see if your brake lights are working. Without actually being there and scanning the car myself I can't help much, however, when I got an ABS light it was accompanied by my brake lamps not working and ended up being that I needed a new ABS module, that goes up under the dash. I ended up just disconnecting the ABS altogether.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:42 PM

my brake light on my spoiler is out and someone said that could be why my abs light is on. does brake lights effect the abs light?
Old 05-14-2004, 10:34 AM

I have heard that your third break light can effect your ABS light...... I'm not sure if its actually true or not but thats what someone told me to check out......

Quick Reply: ABS experts help