Supporting Vendor Group Purchases and Sales GPs/SALES CAN BE MADE BY SUPPORTING VENDORS OF THIS SITE ONLY!

Jet-Hot long tube troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by bowtiepwr
>This should be interesting since mine are still sitting in my garage .
my car is all taken apart, just waiting for the headers which should be here friday or monday

im gonna be one pissed **** if i have a fitment issue like this.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by got_hp?
my car is all taken apart, just waiting for the headers which should be here friday or monday

im gonna be one pissed **** if i have a fitment issue like this.
Get ready to be pissed. I looked at my headers last night. It looks like I'm gonna have fitment problems too (I have a 6 speed).
Old 07-11-2003, 09:36 AM

Is this a problem with the newset batch of them?? Seems like I didnt hear any problems from the first couple of people that got them, but I could be wrong. Mine are on the way, and I hope I dont have this much trouble with them,

Jason
Old 07-11-2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by JWA95TA
Is this a problem with the newset batch of them?? Seems like I didnt hear any problems from the first couple of people that got them, but I could be wrong. Mine are on the way, and I hope I dont have this much trouble with them,

Jason

i heard A LOT of people were complaining about the slip-on primary causing an exhaust leak..........people were trying all kinds of band clamps and stuff to get it tight.

ive got everything done so far........all old exhaust stuff removed...........AIR removed........EGR removed.........new plug wires routed (what a friggin PITA!!!!!!!).............im just waiting for my jethots to arrive so i can put them in.........hopefully mine wont be a nightmare like some peoples.

anyone else who routed plug wires in stock location..........were your passenger side wires really close to the power steering pulley?.......there is only like a 1/4 inch of clearance.......hopefully the wires dont come loose and cause problems.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:21 PM

Once I get a BMR K-member that damn slip joint is gonna get welded together.....I get leaks under load.

-B
Old 07-11-2003, 09:35 PM

If your motor mounts are in bad shape it will worsen the problem you are having with clearence to the body. I did have to alter my cross member to work with my Y pipe. The slip joint use some high heat copper gasket maker and that should take care of it that worked on mine. Steven
Old 07-11-2003, 10:10 PM

>Would it help to shim the motor mounts ?
That way you will have clearance for the Canton oil pan and JetHot headers at the same time .
BTW where do you get motor mount shims anyway ?
Old 07-12-2003, 12:08 AM

I was part of the first batch. No exhaust leak with the slip-on primary. I stepped down to 2.5" x-pipe and had very small clearance issues. Those issues were fixed by replacing my tore-up, smashed, old motor mounts with prothane ones.

Old 07-12-2003, 08:10 AM

When you guys say clearance issues were cleared up with new motor mounts, I assume you mean clearance between the motor and strut towers and stuff? Doesn't make sense to me that new mounts would solve any clearance problems below the car because a worn out mount would actually sit the motor lower in the cradle and create BETTER clearance under the car...putting fresh ones on would raise the motor back up tighteninf the headers to the underbelly
Old 07-12-2003, 09:38 AM

When you look at which way tho motor twists when torqued the right side mount gets smashed down and the left gets streched. The right side will collapse over time. The rubber deterioates and compresses. And yes you will gain clearance if you replace the mounts as you are changing how it sits left,right.up and down. Poly mounts work the best. And im not saying this will give you gobs of room but you could gain a half inch or more on the left side where you need it. You could also possibly shim it on the right side but i would not shim a used stock mount. Im not shooting from the hip here cuz i have the jet hots on my z and a collapsed mount. Steven
Old 07-12-2003, 03:55 PM

Update:

I finished my Jet Hot and Mufflex install. I ground the tranny member, but didnt need to. It fit fine. The problem I am having is the passenger side headers hits the body by a "c" hair. Other than that is looks cherry.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:19 AM

Had the same problem and I just cut the lip off the tranny mount. I also dented my pipe there abotu a 1/4" so it would clear the tranny mount bolts. Really not a problem to me for the quality of the headers.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:41 PM

A guy I know who installed it had it REALLY close to the frame (drivers side, of course). Once he installed it all and drove it, it sagged down some...probably from the weight of the exhaust pipes and the tubes heating up.

http://www.purplecar.org/jh-040203/P0002661.html

Another guy I know (Hookers) had to grind the cross member :

http://carprogrammer.com/Z28/mufflex...3/DSC00175.JPG

So, some manipulation may be necessary. I have JH's ready to install once I get the heads on. I don't look forward to it.

-Alex
Old 07-21-2003, 05:40 PM

I put those Jet-hot headers on my friends 96 SS with an A4 with a mufflex Y-pipe. Went in fine and doesn't hit anything. no leaks at slip fit primary. Quality is excellant.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:09 PM

i crushed my pipe to make it clear the tranny mount. works fine with me. i have aluminized steel all 3" with side exhaust. i wouldnt want to do that to a $300 y-pipe. no matter if you grind the tranny mount, the bolds are still in the way.

Quick Reply: Jet-Hot long tube troubles