South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

prepare for another FHP/orange county crackdown

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Banned

prepare for another FHP/orange county crackdown

some 20 year old lost control and went head on into oncomming traffic on 50 last night. i think his last name was griffin?

he had a green 1993-1996 z28 that aparently had t-tops becuase both rear passengers were ejected, one died.

the lady in the other car died, her two kids survived.

both cars looked like total losses from the video on TV.

they arrested the driver of the z28 for vehicular manslaughter. if he gets a good traffic lawyer he'll prolly get off, but damn ...

i am looking at the local news sites and can't find anything, even though i saw the story last night and this morning.

edit:
http://cfnews13.com/story.aspx?id=50&sid=3029
Two Killed in Crash
Driver Charged With Fatal Accident

The driver who troopers say caused a deadly accident on State Road 50 is now behind bars.

The Florida Highway Patrol arrested 20 year old Patrick Griffith late Saturday night. He faces charges of vehicular homicide for a crash that killed two people.

The crash happened late Saturday afternoon in East Orange County near Bithlo. The Highway Patrol says Griffith was speeding in his green camaro. They say when Griffith tried to pass another car he lost control and crossed the median entering the westbound lanes. The camaro struck a Ford taurus carrying a woman and two children. Two passengers in the camaro were ejected. The crash killed the driver of the taurus and a passenger in Griffith's camaro. Four people remain hospitalized including the two children. The Highway Patrol say some of the victims are in serious condition.

edit2:
orlando sentinal has at least one pic from what i can see:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

Last edited by anasazi; 12-05-2004 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:42 AM

Re: prepare for another FHP/orange county crackdown

Saw it on the news last night....the witness said he was driving like an idiot. Lesson learned the hard way. Maybe some people will take notice of this.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:51 AM

Ouch loos like they will be on he lookout for fast cars again... When I was leaving the fuelslut corner last night, I say abotu 8 cops and looks like they pulled over a ls1 trans am/fomula.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

one thing that i've observed from being on forums, reading stories about camaro crashes, seeing pics online, is that in a 4th gen F-body, in any sort of frontal impact if the t-tops are off or come off during an accident and the rear passengers are not wearing their seatbelts then they have a damn good chance of hitting the seats in front of them and being pushed up through the top of the car.

i don't quite understand why people don't wear their seatbelts
Old 12-05-2004, 11:00 AM

if he gets a good traffic lawyer he'll prolly get off, but damn ...
You find that acceptable?

I personally hope they send him up the creek for a long time, and serve up photos of that boy's mother and his passenger every morning with his bread-and-water breakfast. But, hey, that's just me.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Todd80Z28
You find that acceptable?

I personally hope they send him up the creek for a long time, and serve up photos of that boy's mother and his passenger every morning with his bread-and-water breakfast. But, hey, that's just me.
to be honest, i don't know.

i havn't heard anything on the local news other than he "passed on the right and lost control"

no one on the TV anyways has come out and said "he was driving like mario andretti" ... just that he passed on the right.

i dunno about you, but i've passed on the right thousands of times ... not my fault someone in the left lane is going below the speed limit.

now, if they come out and say "he was flying through traffic, cutting people off and jumping through traffic at excessive speed" ... then yes, i'd agree with you 100%.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:40 PM

Why is it the guy in the Camaro gets vehicular homicide, pulled from the hospital and rolled off to jail in a wheel chair yet the girl at Goldenrod & Bates gets a ticket for running a red light?
Old 12-05-2004, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheMT1
Why is it the guy in the Camaro gets vehicular homicide, pulled from the hospital and rolled off to jail in a wheel chair yet the girl at Goldenrod & Bates gets a ticket for running a red light?

Probably because hers was an accident and its likely the kid was screwing around.

Ever sit in the back seat of an f-body? What kind of force do you think it takes for the rear passengers to be ejected?
Old 12-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MustangEater82
Probably because hers was an accident and its likely the kid was screwing around.

Ever sit in the back seat of an f-body? What kind of force do you think it takes for the rear passengers to be ejected?
not much i don't think

i figure a person who doesn't weigh all that much prolly would break the seatback and it'd slide forward, providing a ramp for the person to slide forward and up the top of the seat and out the t-top hole.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:21 PM

It's a D@mn shame two lives were lost over stupidity, we need to realize how powerful these cars we drive are. Save the racing for a sanctioned venue. My heartfelt condolences go out to the victims families.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMT1
good point i didn't even think about that one
Old 12-05-2004, 03:47 PM

yes it sucks..and everyone should look at it..a few people that were "bitchin" at me about playing on the street..racing or otherwise..for another thread I wont mention...cough cough..but look at it, the street is not a controled place that has many factors that could get you hurt! or killed...and to you 18-19 yr old kids that think your Mario A. get it through your heads...not saying you dont but some do...look at it every time I see this I think hey it could happen to me every time I get in my car..me being the one or the one getting it..

and off topic..WTF didnt you know sig size is only 5 lines??
RIP #3
Scott 97 SS #0676 CFFB #01
Bright Red, A4, T-tops, Dk Gray Leather, PEG2 Options
SLP Options:
Performance Exhaust !CONE
Torsen Differential,
Oil Cooler, Floor Mats, Key Fobs, SS Car Cover
Modifications:
LT4 Conversion,
Hotchkis STB,
MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm Ignition Wires,
Russell OTVC Wire Looms,
Hooker LT's, Mufflex ORP,
Yank TT 2800,
TA Performance Rear End Girdle,
BBK 52mm Throttle Body,
Bosch 30# SVO Fuel Injectors,
PCMforless OBD1 Conversion,
Hypertech 160* Thermostat,
SLP Subframe Connectors (Welded On),
BMR Boxed LCA's & Tubeular Panhard Rod,
1LE Driveshaft,
BFG g-Force T/A KDW's,
Royal Purple 5W-30,

Before LT4 Conversion
247 RWHP 272 RWTQ
After LT4 Conversion
320 RWHP 324 RWTQ
Old 12-05-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
yes it sucks..and everyone should look at it..a few people that were "bitchin" at me about playing on the street..racing or otherwise..for another thread I wont mention...cough cough..but look at it, the street is not a controled place that has many factors that could get you hurt! or killed...and to you 18-19 yr old kids that think your Mario A. get it through your heads...not saying you dont but some do...look at it every time I see this I think hey it could happen to me every time I get in my car..me being the one or the one getting it..

and off topic..WTF didnt you know sig size is only 5 lines??
RIP #3
Scott 97 SS #0676 CFFB #01
Bright Red, A4, T-tops, Dk Gray Leather, PEG2 Options
SLP Options:
Performance Exhaust !CONE
Torsen Differential,
Oil Cooler, Floor Mats, Key Fobs, SS Car Cover
Modifications:
LT4 Conversion,
Hotchkis STB,
MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm Ignition Wires,
Russell OTVC Wire Looms,
Hooker LT's, Mufflex ORP,
Yank TT 2800,
TA Performance Rear End Girdle,
BBK 52mm Throttle Body,
Bosch 30# SVO Fuel Injectors,
PCMforless OBD1 Conversion,
Hypertech 160* Thermostat,
SLP Subframe Connectors (Welded On),
BMR Boxed LCA's & Tubeular Panhard Rod,
1LE Driveshaft,
BFG g-Force T/A KDW's,
Royal Purple 5W-30,

Before LT4 Conversion
247 RWHP 272 RWTQ
After LT4 Conversion
320 RWHP 324 RWTQ
Chill Out, I fixed it.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:32 PM

I am chilled just following what JasonD's said and let people know before he sees it
some people had a half page of mods, pic links and what not so its an unwritten rule to keep it to 5 lines..and if not you get deleted or something like that..just letting you know

not nit picking but 5 lines...you got a little more than 5... nice mods though (flame suit on)
Old 12-05-2004, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by anasazi
i dunno about you, but i've passed on the right thousands of times ... not my fault someone in the left lane is going below the speed limit.
I don't recall their being a speed minimum on anything except multi-lane throughfares such as some interstates and toll roads. I don't recall SR50 having such minimums in that vicinity.

Also, courtesy of the only "driver improvement course" I took courtesy of Seminole County: if you must speed to pass, then you shouldn't be passing the other vehicle.

IMHO, that chick who ran the red light and this guy should both be charged with manslaughter.

Quick Reply: prepare for another FHP/orange county crackdown