South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

I'm moving to Florida!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 03:09 AM

Post I'm moving to Florida!

Hello all, I just got orders to Hurlburt Field, Florida. It is in the Fort Walton Beach area. Anyone near there? I will be PCSing in August, so I should be out and about by September. I hear there is an 1/8 mile track close by. Any good tuner shops or F-body clubs? Well I am excited about getting back to the states after 8 years in Germany. Will miss the autobahn though. Let me know any info you have. Thanx

------------------
97 Camaro SS (#2,650)
Old 05-24-2002, 08:37 AM

Well we have a track here in Bradenton that is a 1/4 mile. I am not real sure where Ft Walton Beach is from here, but there is some info anyway. There are also quite a few F-body clubs around the state. There is a site you can check out that is out of Tampa, called BADRAP. the site is www.badrap.net

------------------
70RS .060over,Hookers,freemods,groundup resto
2000z-28 freemods,Whisper K&N,Flowtech Cutout, Taylor 8mm wires & TR55's, FRA, BMR Strut Tower Brace 13.785 @ 105
Old 05-24-2002, 01:29 PM

Thank you for the info. Glad to hear there is a 1/4 mile track in Florida. Everyone I talked to that had been stationed there only knew of 1/8 mile tracks. Were I grew up it was all 1/4 mile so I don't really know anything about the 1/8 mile times and such. I can't say as I am impressed with the number of replies I have received so far. I thought with all of the clubs I have seen on the web in Florida that more people would have responded and asked me to join them for a club meeting. I guess you have to be with the "IN CROWD" like back in high school, which was several years ago for me. I will just have to be a F-body loner when I go cruise and to the track, nothing new to me.

[This message has been edited by Krazy (edited May 24, 2002).]
Old 05-25-2002, 01:45 AM

There are 1/4 mile tracks in Florida. Most of the largest cities have one in or close by.
Old 05-25-2002, 07:26 AM

Guys ... Fort Wlaton Beach is in the Florida panhandle wat across the top almost to Pensacola (just about leaving the state). The reason for little reply is most of us that read it don't live within 300-400 miles of there so it is hard to give you any help. Hurlburt is right next to Eglin AFB where we do a lot of testing. I am not aware of any 1/4 mile tracks inthe area and I would say there are few if any speed shops within your immediate vicinity.

More of a jeep, boat, Sea-Doo kind of place. The salt air will ruin a good car finish if you don't take really good care of it. If you like fishing you'll love it there, if you are looking for night life then I'm pretty sure you'll be disappointed unless you head over to Destin (really nice vacation destination with pricey restuarants and all).

The scenery is nothing like Germany (or much of Europe for that matter).

Later ... Larry S.

------------------
'95 Trans Am - Powerdyne
11.874 @ 118.92 MPH
Old 05-26-2002, 05:59 PM

Can't say as I am looking for night life, I'm more of a stay at home and have friends over kind of guy. I have talked to a few people that were stationed there and they said ther are a few 1/8 mile tracks close by and there is a big car seen there. They have the F-body seen, Mustang seen, Import and lowrider seen. They say it is pretty seperated between the different makes of cars, but they all have active clubs in the area. I guess I just thought I would get more responces because of the info I had received about all of the car related stuff to do there. Peace
Old 05-28-2002, 01:05 AM

There is an 1/8 mile track right next to you in Holt... Dont speed on I-10 in Pensacola.... They are all over the place right there.... dont speed coming into Tallahassee area or leaving that area...
Fort Walton, Pensacola, and Panama City are the only "modern" cities there.. the rest are country towns.. Completely different than here him the Tampa area.
Old 05-28-2002, 11:09 PM

Been to the AFB and in the ft. walton beach area. Very, very nice beaches. You'll enjoy it.

You're about inbetween Orlando and the Texas border (i'm not kidding).

[This message has been edited by Mikael (edited May 29, 2002).]
Old 05-29-2002, 12:03 AM

Cool

Hey man,
If you are up in the pan handle you should go to the Gainesville track. It is not that bad of a drive and it is considered one of the best tracks in the U.S. I live in Gainesville and The best Shop in north FL is Rollins Automotive.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:55 AM

FYI ... Gainesville is almost 300 miles from Fort Walton Beach.

Later ... Larry S.

------------------
'95 Trans Am - Powerdyne
11.874 @ 118.92 MPH
Old 05-29-2002, 01:53 PM

Holt, Yeah, that's the name of the track my friends were telling me about. I have seen on a map were the base is, but you should know that looking at a map and actually being there are two totaly different things. I am very excited about moving there. If the wife likes it we may decide to stay there, if not it is back to Pheonix, AZ for us. Either way a win/win situation. I like the idea of Florida because they do not have emissions and they have beaches. Just have to see if I like it once I am there. Thanx for all of the replies. Peace

------------------
97 Camaro SS (#2,650)
Old 05-29-2002, 07:12 PM

Just dont expect any city life at all... Pensacola is the largest one and its just a huge town.. Panama city is fair size but its a ghost town during non spring break times.. Kinda weird to see all these cool as places with no one really in them.. ??
The florida panhandle beaches are incredibly beautiful... Holt (1/8th mile) is also a good track... ran my fastest times at that track.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:12 PM

Sorry for not responding sooner... most of the club was in Atlanta over the weekend. Our club is based in the Pensacola and Mobile areas, but Ft Walton is just a stone's throw away. We have a message board at the link in my sig. Give us a shout.

------------------
Remember #3

Riptide
99 Z-28 "GLUMAKR" Stock... really... no, really... trust me!
Riptide's Homepage
Gulf Coast F-Body Association
Old 05-29-2002, 11:28 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LT1stunna:
Hey man,
If you are up in the pan handle you should go to the Gainesville track. It is not that bad of a drive and it is considered one of the best tracks in the U.S. I live in Gainesville and The best Shop in north FL is Rollins Automotive.
</font>
Ever go to a GMCA meet? Bestbuys on Thursday nights.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:54 PM

Hey Mikael
I went out to the gmca meets a couple of times but the last time I went there a bunch of *** clowns with ricers doing donuts and all the original guys (Taz, Chris and coop ect...) were never out there anymore so I stopped going. Is it good again? - Greg

Quick Reply: I'm moving to Florida!