South Atlantic Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia

I'll buy the beer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:01 AM

I'll buy the beer...

I am going to change the gears in my rear end. I have never done this, and some experienced overwatch / guidance would be greatly appreciated. You bring your experience, and I'll buy the beer...Located 30 miles West of Daytona. Very flexible on the time.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:43 AM

When are you planning on doing this? Where exactly are you? Do you have a shop manual. Setting up a rear end is a funny thing and requires some close tolerances. I am in Deland so I may be able to help out, but this weekend we are at the Mike Kelley Cruise News Beach Blast in Cocoa, and we have a cam and headers planned sometime soon on Lasombra52's car.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 PM

I am in Debary, right down the road from you. As for when, I am probably going to wait until early to mid June. I am going to Germany for 3 weeks (work) but after that, I should be able to yank the rear. I can't imagine it taking more than 4 hours for an experienced tech, with the rear in the car, so I figured I'd pull the rear out, and do it on the workbench, to make it easier. I am also going to weld the tubes, and install a solid pinion spacer (replace the crush sleeve) and main cap studs.

If you are down to hang out for a while and let me know when I am about to screw up, that would be awesome.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to help / watch the cam headers install. Mainly the cam, I haven't done one of those yet, headers I've done a few times (LT and LS).
Old 05-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Oh, and no shop manual...but I have gotten this far without one. I am not sure if thats good or bad, but I have read some amazing, clearcut write-ups that made me feel like I can do it.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:44 AM

What does your car look like? I don't recall seeing an LT1 SS in town lately.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by new 97SS
I am going to change the gears in my rear end. I have never done this, and some experienced overwatch / guidance would be greatly appreciated. You bring your experience, and I'll buy the beer...Located 30 miles West of Daytona. Very flexible on the time.
I'm not sure that you want to tackle that install without specialty tools, some machine equipment and experience. There are times when shims might need to me machined down just to get the correct tolerances so that there is no whine. Just something to think about........gears are a PITA and it's often better to pay a properly set up shop to do it for ya.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM

86 Iroc - Car is white, with full exhaust and a flowmaster with stock tips (I know, it has to go)

Joe1320 - This is why I thought I could do it...please let me know if I am way off the mark.
There is a write-up http://www.keliente.com/gears1.htm
where a guy did the same thing. From my understanding, the shims are there the locate the posi unit/ring gear, with respect to the pinion gear. I am not changing the posi unit, so I thought that reusing the old shims in the same spots, should work because I don't have any whine right now, with the 4.10's (going to 3.42's for the gas).

I am not looking to hurt my car, or my wallet, but based on that write-up, I think it can be done. what do you think?

Last edited by new 97SS; 05-17-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by new 97SS
86 Iroc - Car is white, with full exhaust and a flowmaster with stock tips (I know, it has to go)

Joe1320 - This is why I thought I could do it...please let me know if I am way off the mark.
There is a write-up http://www.keliente.com/gears1.htm
where a guy did the same thing. From my understanding, the shims are there the locate the posi unit/ring gear, with respect to the pinion gear. I am not changing the posi unit, so I thought that reusing the old shims in the same spots, should work because I don't have any whine right now, with the 4.10's (going to 3.42's for the gas).

I am not looking to hurt my car, or my wallet, but based on that write-up, I think it can be done. what do you think?
Actually that write up is by a gril. She's hawt too.

I'll look for your car when I'm out and about. I drive my red 91' Z28 99% of the time. I drive my 2000 Z28 sometimes, it's black, VFN Sunnoco hood, Weld Drag Stars, loud as fawk... hard to miss it.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Aside from weekends (when I am in town), I work in Orlando. I'll keep my eye out, usually cruising around Saxon or 17/92.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 AM

I work in Winter Park durring the week, I frequent 17-92 and 436. I don't dare drive the 2000 on I-4... last time I did - some tard in a 300zx tried me from a 55 roll. It got ugly really fast. Let's just say that's one video clip I don't expect them to post.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:33 AM

i would throw her around a time or two
Old 05-18-2008, 06:30 AM

new 97SS-

Take it to this shop and they'll do it perfectly for you, trust me. I bring my car to them when I need something done beyond my skill.

http://www.hbt.4t.com/index.html

They're about 25 min. from you. Ask for Lloyd.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 AM

I read though the link. There are some portions I'm not too comfortable with. Using the same old pinion shim on every job makes me cringe. I guess my luck has been completely opposite. I've never had the same shims re-used, there's always a variance that needs to be made up somewhere and that's what the shims are for. I imagine that if you replace the stock gears with an identical set, the odds of re-using a shim are greatly increased. I just don't see that happening on a gear ratio swap. Also look into a solid pinion sleeve rather than a crush sleeve, it will reduce the chance of fluild leaks.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:47 PM

New97SS, I don't know if you would be interested or not but I have the '94 Z in my sig with stock gears 3:42's I think and am looking to go to a 4:10 setup since mine is not a daily driver I don't care about the gas. I would be willing to swap the entire rear end units if you want. I think the only thing that would need to be changed would be the backing plates. . .can check for sure. Who put the 4:10's in yours and what kind are they if you might know??
Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM

First, thanks to everyone for the input. I am still undecided about doing it myself or not...

I have seen "Master install kits" for sale, but can I just go get, or order a shim set with various sizes in there to facilitate the install? Like I said, I don't mind taking the weekend to do it, plus the rear will be out of the car. Slow is the name of my game when it comes to something like this. I really think it can be done, so long as there is no deadline involved.

Am I out of my mind?

BLDUN...I don't know what kind they are, or who installed them, I bought the car with them in there. I like them, and the mileage isn't that bad (19 city 20.5 hwy, both easy on the pedal), but I know that it'll go up to about 22/26 with 3.42s in there. I don't know if I am down for swapping rears with you. I don't know how mine was driven prior to me owning it and I would hate for it to grenade on you a week after the swap. I would feel like I should pay for it...

Last edited by new 97SS; 05-19-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Quick Reply: I'll buy the beer...