Site Help and Suggestions For account related issues and questions about how to use this site. Before posting, please search this forum.

how many veteran members are there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 PM

how many veteran members are there?

well? I only see one?

what qualifies a member as a vet?

yall should bring back various member levels. didnt yall try different ones a while back? yall should look into doing somthgin again.

you could do ones for peoepl with various post counts, time on the board, combos of both (ie someone on here since 99 but with only 20 posts could get a title as a super lurker)

i have no idea if you can set it up that way but it would be cool.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
well? I only see one?

what qualifies a member as a vet?

(ie someone on here since 99 but with only 20 posts could get a title as a super lurker)
You aren't talkin about someone like me, are ya ??

I have actually been on here longer than what my name says. I lost an e-mail account a long time ago and couldn't remember my password at the time. Oh well.......
Old 08-06-2009, 06:40 PM

i've been here for awhile and don't have veteran status.

i've made about eleventy posts in the lounge too.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by STRYKER
You aren't talkin about someone like me, are ya ??

I have actually been on here longer than what my name says. I lost an e-mail account a long time ago and couldn't remember my password at the time. Oh well.......
no, your title is registered user.... i have only seen one person with a veteran title.

i think we should make things a bit more interesting and have a variety of titles
Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
i think we should make things a bit more interesting and have a variety of titles
Okay, everyone throw their ideas in as far as what the levels of user titles and corresponding post counts should be.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Okay, everyone throw their ideas in as far as what the levels of user titles and corresponding post counts should be.
can you answer the questions in the OP?

what data can influence the titles? post count is obvious but what about how long you have been a member, what section the majority of your posts are in etc? does the software support those things playing a part in the titles? can you have a mix of those things. certin time plus xxx posts = this title

let us know what the software can do and we can toss out some ideas.

Last edited by camaro383tt; 08-12-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM

You guys disabled lounge posts from counting ages ago to discourage post whoring. I figured that's the same reasons dynamic titles were disabled. I'd say unless titles can be linked to how long somebody has been a member and not how many posts they make, then you'd probably be better off just leaving the titles alone.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by JasonD
I hereby promote JasonD to:

Wangsuckinus Magnificas

Congratulations.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM
WTF

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'd say unless titles can be linked to how long somebody has been a member.
This idea is good.

OR

Randomly give people different titles based on their board reputation.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Yeah, Threxx is right. With lounge post counts disabled, member titles would be pointless for many people who only post in the lounge. Linking them to how long you've been a member would work, though.... but it would have it's downfalls too. What if someone registered back in 2003, but only posts on the board once a year?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
I'd say unless titles can be linked to how long somebody has been a member and not how many posts they make, then you'd probably be better off just leaving the titles alone.
Or reputation should be computed from a combination of both. Someone who's been on here a short time and has a ton of helpful posts in the tech sections is, IMO, just as important if not more important than someone who's been here 4+ years and simply posted a bunch of off-topic posts.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM

Gonna have to agree with Kyle as well.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by #2
i've been here for awhile and don't have veteran status.

i've made about eleventy posts in the lounge too.
Yea... those of us who post a lot in the Lounge would mean you couldn't call a low post count/long duration a "Lurker".

I think maybe a combo of current post count (giving automotive tech oriented labels), lounge post count (lounge lizard labels), start date... maybe the number of warnings or ban threats (living on the edge).

Could get pretty complicated.

Last edited by Dave K; 08-12-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:57 PM

I think it would be hard to judge or filter by Tech topics too. I couldn't tell you how many times I have looked at posts just to see "I agree with ........." or "X 2" or "+1" Does that really count ?
Or, how many times have you see a question in the tech sections NOT actually get the questions answered without the subject straying off topic ? Kinda like when someone asks about their engine and someone else pipes in and writes that they should focus on the trans or rearend instead. That make sense ?

Another thing, does it really make sense to have a title base on time here ? After all isn't that what the "Join date:" is for ?

Also I will be the 1st one to admit that I haven't hepled a whole lot on here, but that dosen't mean that I'm completely absent either. If you could track how many times I have done searches on here, I would probably have more than lots of people have posts.

Just a couple thoughts.

PS. Not complaining about the web-site at all, just discusing the topic at hand.

camaro383tt.......I know what my title says, lol. What I was referring to in my previous post was, well, .......nevermind.

Last edited by STRYKER; 08-12-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:17 PM

Don't go off post count, but reg date?
What about when you donate money, you can pick your own (approved) title?

Quick Reply: how many veteran members are there?