General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Horn and Hazard Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:26 PM

Horn and Hazard Not Working

Hi,

I just got my car running but I seem to be finding some electrical problems with my 1994 Camaro. I am currently debugging a problem with both my horn and hazard flashers not working.

I've checked both fuses and in both cases have voltage on the orange wire at the relay. I thought it was odd that I had 3volts there but then when I checked the fuse, I saw 3volts across almost every fuse. Should I be seeing 12v?

In either case, I don't hear any relays click whenever the horn button is pressed or whether the hazard flasher button is pressed. However, the turn signals do work. I guess I can try swapping out the hazard and turn signal relay here and see if that makes a difference (I just read about that here on the forum).

Thanks in advance,
-Rick
Old 09-24-2017, 11:11 AM

Re: Horn and Hazard Not Working

You should see 12v at the fuses. Might need to check your fusible links.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Shoebox,

I should have mentioned that the fusebox inside is where I am reading 3 volts across various fuses. In the outside fusebox (in the engine compartment), I am reading 12 volts across the different fuses.

Do you still think there is a blown fusible link? I started checking the diagrams, but finding the link on the car will be the challenge.

Also want to say that while the power windows and turn signals seem to operate slowly, they do work. And the car now runs after sitting for some number of years. Unfortunately I don't have the car history (my brother) to get clues about what used to work before the car sat in the garage.

Thanks,
-Rick
Old 09-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Anywhere you have 3 volts, there is a problem. Different links provide power to different locations. If the car has been sitting, there might be rodent damage.

Start by checking connections at the + junction on the RH shock tower by the battery.

Last edited by shoebox; 09-24-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Administrator

All the fusible links are located at the red plastic "+" box near the battery. Shoebox has a photo:

http://shbox.com/1/fusible.jpg

Figuring out which is which is another issue. Do you have a full copy of the 1994 factory service manual?

If you only have 3 volts at the instrument panel fuses, hardly anything in the car would work right. For example, Link F also supplies fuses 4, 8, 10 and 12 for the tail lights, ECM BAT, courtesy lights and rear defogger.

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-24-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:10 PM

Fred,

And looks like I can check the links by checking the voltage on both sides of each link? Does that sound right?

I don't have the service manual so if you could post the link next time. It can't hurt to have it.

Thanks,
-Rick
Old 09-24-2017, 07:26 PM

Service manual download:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti
Old 09-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Are you saying you read 3 volts when you measure across several fuses one-at-a-time (red lead to one end and black lead to the other end)? That sounds almost impossible. Maybe you should check the meter or your method of using it.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the link. I checked the fusible links and found the two for the horn and hazard circuits but I measured about 12v on both sides of the links.

Its going to be a long shot but I'll see if the manual gives me any new ideas.

Thanks again,
-Rick

Originally Posted by shoebox
Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 PM

Yes, what you said would be invalid.

I measured from ground to each fuse. And I said 3 volts but it was actually 4 volts, but still a ways from the expected 12v.

Thanks for your input,
-Rick

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
Are you saying you read 3 volts when you measure across several fuses one-at-a-time (red lead to one end and black lead to the other end)? That sounds almost impossible. Maybe you should check the meter or your method of using it.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 PM

You might have a bad connection behind the fuse panel or some damage to the link along the way.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:14 PM

I have found that the chassis ground reference I was using earlier was not good (more at the end). I did find another ground reference and the voltages at the fuse panel are much better.

And so I tested the horn circuit by grounding out the ground lead and heard the horn. I'd replace the horn switch in the steering wheel, but think there maybe some other issue as the hazards do not work.

I tried swapping the flasher relay w/ the good turn signal flasher and it did not make any difference. No lights.

I'm thinking maybe these issues maybe related. Maybe there is a grounding issue w/ the steering column. Or I have bad hazard and horn switches in the steering column.

Anyone know if there is a ground strap on the column? How does the hazard flasher work? I have 12 volts at the flasher.

Note: Apparently the manual trans was replace w/ an auto trans. And it looked like they tried to remove the clutch petal, but decided to leave it without bolting it back into the car throughly. So this is the part I had used earlier to measure the voltage and definitely is a bad or loose ground. I can't tell whether this is somehow tied to the steering column.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Originally Posted by rickmotx
Yes, what you said would be invalid.

I measured from ground to each fuse. And I said 3 volts but it was actually 4 volts, but still a ways from the expected 12v.

Thanks for your input,
-Rick
That's not what I said, it's what YOU said: "I am reading 3 volts across various fuses" in your 2nd post.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:02 PM
Administrator

I have found that the chassis ground reference I was using earlier was not good (more at the end). I did find another ground reference and the voltages at the fuse panel are much better.
OK.... do you now have 12 volts or not?

Shoebox has the horn and hazard wiring diagrams... it's the same as 1994, except 94 does not have the wire from splice S240 to the data link connector. Also the 1995 hazard flasher diagram, which is virtually identical to 1994:

http://shbox.com/1/horns.jpg

1995 4th Gen F-Body Exterior Lights