General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

A/C Compressor Change out

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 PM

A/C Compressor Change out

Any tips on Changing the A/C compressor? On a scale of 1-10 how aggravating is it? If you've changed an A/C compressor, which compressor did you swap the old one with? Should I do anything else besides changing the belt while I'm at it?
Thank you!
Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM

Re: A/C Compressor Change out

I used an ACDelco compressor. About a 6 in aggravating due to tight access and having to work mostly from the bottom. What you have to replace will vary depending on why you are replacing the compressor. The accumulator should be replaced anytime you replace the compressor. Orings for any joints you disconnect or that are leaking. Oil. The amount will depend on what you replace and if you flush the system. I think 8 oz of PAG150 is the total system capacity.

If you find any black gunk or metal shavings when you open the system you will need to do more. You will need to flush all the lines and evaporator. You would also need to replace the condenser and expansion valve.

The compressor manufacturer will probably have a list of parts you have to replace to be covered by their warranty.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:20 AM

Cool! Thanks for the info!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Free download of 1995 factory service manual.

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti