Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

What's your detailing schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 01:10 PM

What's your detailing schedule?

Whether you have one 'set' or just give an average of what you usually end up doing, how often do you detail each of your cars, how many cars is that, and what all do you do?

I have two cars to detail. I basically try to, for example, detail car 1's interior from head to toe doing everything that needs to be done (things like carpet shampooing, especially with the floormat covers I have don't need to be done very often, neither does leather conditioning, etc). Then the next week I take off, then the next week I do car 2's interior. Take the next week off, then do everything on car 1's exterior (except claying which doesn't always need to be done), take a week off, then to car 2's exterior.

So I guess what it works out to is that every 8 weeks each car eventually goes through a full detailing cycle, inside and out. It's depressing in some ways because I rarely get a car that's sparkling inside and out, but taking care of my yard and house and everything it's just hard to find the time and energy to do the entire car. Yeah I could just do the 'basics' inside and out each time but I guess I'm too O/C and like to do everything there is to do. So my only way of dividing it out effectively is to pick 'inside or out' each time.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:26 PM

Re: What's your detailing schedule?

My SS gets in inside clean ever couple weeks, but I dont let it get very dirty.
Outside, I detail it every 3 weeks, might change that a bit now that i have zaino though.

Other vehicle, when i had (and when i get my other one) jeep cherokee it got washed at a drive through wash bay whenever it got dirty enough that I couldnt stay clean getting in, and inside I would take the vac to it when I did my camaro. but ya know I dont care about the beater, if the pain gets bad enough I'll jsut grab a few cans of tremclad.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 PM

I do mine once a month (full on wash, clay, polish, polish again, seal, glaze, wax, then interior and engine) and wash it once a week. My parents cars I do every other month and wash once a week. But then again I am a detailer, so I kinda do it more than what is necessary. All you really need to do is wash, clay, polish, seal, wax once and reapply wax every two to three months depending upon what you feel is necessary.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:46 AM

Twice a year: NXT wash, claybar, megs step1, megs step2, 2 coats nxt wax.

Interior: Whenever the dash is dusty or i see crumbs, dirt on the rugs.

When it rains: I will towel dry it and it looks like its just been washed.

I clean tires, wheels, exhaust tips as needed.

Before shows: Quick detail it with megs quick detail

Windows: Stoners or windex as necessary

Not a lot of work, aside from the twice a year stuff. CAr gets tons of compliments and i can keep it spotless for a black car.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 PM

I never have a whole day to do a detail. A whole day is a thing of the past, whereas the only time that I will do it for a day is the first big clean of the year (wash, paint clean and polish, light seal and then the wax), in which I will either have to take a day off or call in sick. Most days it will be prioritized to a weekend morning or afternoon.