Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

what wax to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 11:00 PM

what wax to use?

what kind of wax is the best to use on a black 93 trans am?
Old 03-30-2006, 06:24 AM

Re: what wax to use?

Depends on what you're looking for. Do you want something that's only sold online, or something you can pick up at the local auto store? If you want something from the auto stores, I'd personally recommend Meguiar's NXT or Gold Class... I've had nothing but excellent results with Meguiar's. If you want something bought online, everyone hails Zaino as being something great. Personally, I've used both, and since I have the Zaino now, I'm just going to finish using it rather than waste all the money that I paid for it. But truthfully, the only difference I've noticed between a multiple step Meguiar's process and the Zaino package is price. Durability and shine are about the same.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:13 PM

wax.... its gotta be Mother's California Gold Ultimate Wax System
its a three stage operation, takes a lot of time to do, but in my opinion it is the best wax on the market. I think you can get it at almost any automotive store or online. i recommend it
Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by meissenation
But truthfully, the only difference I've noticed between a multiple step Meguiar's process and the Zaino package is price. Durability and shine are about the same.
Durability is nowhere near the same, IMO.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:07 PM

personally i used zymol, it is the best i used byfar, and my paint was fading it it just brought it back to a deep color, almost like it was still wet
Old 03-31-2006, 01:20 PM

For over the counter products, you can't beat the new Mother's Reflections line.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cmr0z28
For over the counter products, you can't beat the new Mother's Reflections line.
This is what I've heard, too.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Well, after 35 years and dozens of products tried, I use Zaino. It is the only product that gives me everything I want from a product.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:55 PM

Nothing will last longer than Zaino. Over the counter product I would get Mother's.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:18 PM

From experience I'd say that a layered p21s/s100 would be very hard to beat, given the right prep methods!! It is the go to wax for my daily driver!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by transAMdriv3r
personally i used zymol, it is the best i used byfar, and my paint was fading it it just brought it back to a deep color, almost like it was still wet
thats the ONLY thing i use on my car, i almost wanna go and kill the guy that buffed my car cause he used a cloth buffing bad and it scarred the sht outta my paint... but the zymol covered it up great... just waiting til i get around to finding the right person to buff it back to a perfect surface for me until then Zymol is the stuff, but im thinkin about tryin Zaino when i get some extra $$ after the trans/engine swap...
ex.
http://webpages.charter.net/racingti...80-R1-E028.jpg

in case u want an example of it after waxxing lol
Old 04-04-2006, 09:10 PM

Age old discussion on many boards. My contention with anything "wax" is that when the temps hit a nice toasty 98, 99, 100 degrees, it hazes. IMHO.

The big thing with black is that when it is done right, it looks damn nice. Take lots of photos quick, it won't last long. Black paint is for those that are sickly addicted to the religion of forever washing and polishing.

On that last note, I have settled on Zaino because while it costs a bit more, when the car is prepped correctly and then that stuff is applied, it gets a shine that people comment on, and it lasts a bit longer with just a little maintenance to keep that shine. But to each, their own.

It also has to be noted that only a very little bit of Zaino needs to be applied during a application. A bottle should last well beyond a season. So argumentively pricing ends up being the same as some of the waxes and polishes.

But bottom line, no matter what you use, it's all in the prep that makes the finishing product, um, shine.

Check my sig to my website to see a few photos of what the car could look like...
Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 AM

Ive been looking at Zaino and Zymol, has anyone compared the Zymol Carbon wax and its preperation steps to the Zaino starter packages?
Old 04-06-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Ive been looking at Zaino and Zymol, has anyone compared the Zymol Carbon wax and its preperation steps to the Zaino starter packages?
Not necessarily comparable...one is a carnauba wax, the other is a sealant.

Proper prep work (ie. claying, polishing, etc.) should be done with either product.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Not necessarily comparable...one is a carnauba wax, the other is a sealant.

Proper prep work (ie. claying, polishing, etc.) should be done with either product.
Alright, sorry Im not very knowledged on waxes/sealants/polishes. Ive been looking at both now thinking you are heading for the same goal (shine and protection) with both of them... Is this false?

Quick Reply: what wax to use?