Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

What is the BEST wheel cleaner????

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:53 AM

What is the BEST wheel cleaner????

My white wheels are a PITA...a royal one. I've used Castrol wheel cleaner, Eagle One, and a couple others, and NONE can get brake dust stains out. About once a year I end up compounding the hell out of the wheels, then they look new for another 6 months, or until the first significant rain storm I'm stuck in.

Bowling Green is less than 2 weeks away, which will be a 2,000 mile round trip. My wheels will be brown by the time I get down there...same goes for the return trip, rain or shine. (I've made the trip before). I don't want to have to compound these wheels while I'm down there, then when I return home...I won't have any paint left on them!!!

HELP?!?!?!?!?!
Old 09-01-2005, 01:08 PM

Re: What is the BEST wheel cleaner????

I would gander to say that since you have compounded them, they probably don't shine like they did when they were new. I would probably suggest getting a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and lightly go over a couple spots that are inconspicuous. Should take it off with no problem. Try waxing your wheels once they are clean and this should help deter the brake dust from building up as quickly. Just make sure you keep wax on them.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:37 PM

I've done the wax thing (I do 2 coats after a compound), and it doesn't seem to work. I've only compounded them myself twice in the 5 years I've had it...I used to live with the stains. But I have no idea what the previous owner did to the wheels, either...

I'll try that stuff...any other recommendations? Is the Mr. Clean something sold at an auto parts store, or a grocery store?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:26 PM

it would probly be sold at a grocery store.. but i think i saw one at advanced auto down here the last time i went in there... but what kind of wheels and finish are they? i know the BEST stuff ive ever used was greased lightning orange wheel cleaner.. that stuff takes YEARS off of wheels its great depending on what you want.. only thing ive ever tried it on is aluminum wheels that had no hope left *shrug* it worked great made for a great start before polishing well good luck with it!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
I'll try that stuff...any other recommendations? Is the Mr. Clean something sold at an auto parts store, or a grocery store?
Grocery store.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:37 PM

both of my local wal-mart sells them in the auto center (located right next to the wheel cleaning products).
Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the tips...I'll let everyone know how it goes. If it doesn't work, I'll be back here b!tching in no time
Old 09-02-2005, 02:41 PM

You might want to try clay barring them.... if it is brake dust, it might help pull some out of the finish....
Old 09-02-2005, 11:16 PM

The only thing that can semi-clean my 25th anni wheels (white clearcoated) is MAG cleaner by eagle one. It says for alloy wheels but it's what I've used before. It contains 4 kinds of acid and smells horrible.

I'd recommend using a rubbing compound on your wheels to clean them really nicely once, then keep a bottle of that **** on hand for cleaning them.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:43 AM

Once you get them clean, protect them with a synthetic, like Zaino. Synthetics will last longer and hold up to the heat and make it much easier to keep clean. Also you can change over the ceramic brake pads which have very little dust, if any.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:48 PM

I might have to try something. I've got some stains on my 92 somehow (I think it happened over last winter). I've always used Eagle 1 orange stuff (now in a grey bottle) and it works, but like you said, it won't take out the stains. Make sure to report back; I'm anxious to hear the results.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:09 PM

i use to use simple green on my white wheels and it worked pretty well cl3eannign upt he brake dust
Old 09-13-2005, 09:57 PM

Mothers Gold aluminum polish worked on my salad shooter 16s. and that's not bare metal, i think it's silver paint, but it worked so it might be ok for white wheels (try it on a small area first)
Old 09-15-2005, 11:38 AM

I use grease lightening. Works far better then any other cleaner I have tried on my nasty salad shooters.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:39 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

after trying everything under the sun on wheels, I've stuck with Simple Green ........can't beat it. I buy the Simple Green degreaser.......in the large refill bottle........substantially less money than other cleaners........