Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Towel preperations and steps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 09:06 PM

Question Towel preperations and steps?

Okay I just got two Feildcrest RV's and I'm hoping (KevinSS, MikeLS or anyone) could list sort of a step by step instruction of how you use your towels.

1. What do you do when you first get one (ie. do you wash it right away?)

2. Once it is ready to be used, how often do you wash it?

3. How do you wash it?

4. How do you use it to buff off Zaino (ie. Left/right, up/down?)

5. How do you store them when not in use?

That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------
1996 Black Z28 M6; Stock.
1994 S10 4X4.

My Site
Old 03-26-2002, 10:36 PM

Lightbulb

Hey Jeff,

Good to hear you got some RVs, I think you'll really like them.

Here's my routine:
1. Yes, I wash them first before they ever get used so that all the dust, dirt, dyes or general accumulation can be washed off since they were setting on store shelves.

2. I wash mine generally after every 2 to 4 coats of Zaino, but I'm using two very big sections of towel so I have a lot of area to work with before it's completely ready for washing. It really depends on how loaded I feel the towel is before it needs washing. For smaller towels, probably more often.

3. I wash my towels usually two ways. One wash is strictly for my RVs that are used for buffing and Z6ing. Nothing else gets washed in with those towels. My microfibers and other general cleaning towels go in a separate wash from the RVs. I use liquid detergent and a cold wash, then dry them. When they come out of the dryer, they are not completely dry, so I let them air dry to minimize static buildup.

4. I generally buff in the direction the polish was applied, but it varies. Use light pressure, there's no need to dig the towels into the paint. Sometimes, I'll buff left/right and follow up with a final up/down (or vice versa) to ensure complete removal. I also give the towels a big shake after removing say half the car to remove dust buildup in the towel.

5. I use a paper grocery store bag to store my towels in. They fit nicely folded up and I can seal off the top to prevent dust.

HTH!

Mike

------------------
*Mike's 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniv.*
Dark Red Metallic (ext.) / Flame Red (int.)
Flowmaster Crossflow, K&N, 20% 3M Panther Black Tint
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953H/U, Kenwood / Pioneer speakers
Shine by ZAINO! - Special Thanks to Sal Z!
Old 03-26-2002, 10:46 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks, Mike.

I forgot to ask if you cut off the edges like Kevin does?

Good advice.

I'm determined to give this one more season of ball-busting physical labo(u)r.

Jeff

------------------
1996 Black Z28 M6; Stock.
1994 S10 4X4.

My Site
Old 03-26-2002, 11:05 PM

Smile

No, I don't remove the edges on my RVs. Basically, I'm pretty cautious when buffing not to press the edges into the paint. Most of the time they don't even touch the surface, and I've never had a problem. If you want to be extra cautious, you could cut yours, but the towel will fray pretty badly unless it's sewn up like Kevin does his.

My techniques aren't set in stone, it's just what I've found to work consistently the best. I'm sure the Kevins can give some good advice too.

Don't give up! A black car all perfectly shined up is probably the most rewarding color out there. Nothing can match a black car's shine, even though I'd like to think mine comes close.

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited March 27, 2002).]