Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

theres got to be a better way

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:15 PM

theres got to be a better way

for cleaning my vinyl dash and related parts,, tired of that greasy look that armor all leaves,, what that nice clean, dry, kinda brand new from the factory look. no greasy mess that attracts dust,, any ideas
Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 PM

Armor All isn't really a cleaning product, it's a protectant. Try some total interior cleaner from Meguiar's or DP, or just some regular All-Purpose cleaner from 303, etc.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 PM

dude i just had my seats wrapped in white leather and my interior guy said never use that stuff cause it drys the stuff out. he said use a mixture of simple green and water, and if its bad straight simple green cause thats non toxic sound about write i forgot about that.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:43 PM

never use armor all i meant
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM

Armor All will eventually cause the leather to dry and crack, and it usually starts to turn stuff a yellow/brown color over time. Diluted Simple Green (another all-purpose cleaner) would be good to use.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:00 PM

mothers plastic/rubber interior spray. Its $11 a bottle but is really great stuff. I normally use very highly quality detailing sprays but gave this a shot. Its great and doesnt cost 26 dollars a bottle.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:17 AM

Meguiars quick interior detailer. Cleans and doesn't give you that greasy feeling.

~Jim~
Old 05-24-2008, 06:52 PM

Armor all isn't all that bad, just a matter of personal preference and ya, its not made to be a cleaner. It wont dry your platics and vinyls out though, they reformulated it years ago, its now water based. Still has that rep though. I actually like AA on some stuff, but there are so many more things to use.... and cleaning wise, little bit of detailing degreaser and a lot of water works great. You could even use regular degreaser, highly diluted or simple green, doesn't matter. If you really want to see a huge selection of detailing stuff and info go to autogeek.net good prices too, thats where i buy most of my stuff
Old 05-24-2008, 06:55 PM

btw detailing degreasers are the best thing ever... dilluted right you can do everything from clean your leather, clean your int. plastics, clean your carpets, clean your rims, clean your engine bay, remove bugs with ease.... probably the best thing a detailer can have cuz its so useful. You can even use it as a car wash, although I wouldn't. lol Its all about the dilution though
Old 05-25-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mystic-t/a
btw detailing degreasers are the best thing ever... dilluted right you can do everything from clean your leather, clean your int. plastics, clean your carpets, clean your rims, clean your engine bay, remove bugs with ease.... probably the best thing a detailer can have cuz its so useful. You can even use it as a car wash, although I wouldn't. lol Its all about the dilution though
so to clean your interior/ leather how do you dilluted it. like how much water to simple green mix?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 PM

Angry

1 to 1 half and half i bought some meguiars interior quik detailer and i really like it,,, i also bought mothers back to black and i think it sucks unfortanetly i lost my recipet cause it was 6 bucks i could got a gallon and a half of gas with that( damn shame)
Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by z95lt1
so to clean your interior/ leather how do you dilluted it. like how much water to simple green mix?
I dont use simple green much at all. I experimented with it before and it caused some aluminum to haze up pretty bad so I never used it again. So I cant really say, but I wouldn't do it that strong, maybe 3 parts water, 1 part simple green.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 PM

"AA natural finish" is nice. I also like the Matte finish tire shine by black magic. Both these products make the car look clean and not greasy.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:22 PM

i think simple green is too strong for interior plastic much less leather. I used armor all on the giant plateau dash for years, on the insruments, glovebox everything, no problem. It does protect against UV. i used it on the black windshield wipers and shields. works well, but now i use 303 aero only, and only with a plush microfiber.

For leather i'd get a good leather cleaner conditioner. Zaino has good stuff for all these too.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 PM

I use a wet rag with leather cleaner (PH neutral) to clean all plastic, vinyl, and rubber.

Then I go over with a leather conditioner (Lexol) that contains no silicone. It dries flat and non-oily on plastics. It moisturizes rubber without leaving damaging silicone all over, and moisturizes and conditions leather.

If you ever question if this is "good" for your interior or not...feel your hands after the experience. They will usually smell good (like leather). Your skin will feel "wet" but not greasy, very pliable and soft like newborn skin. Not to mention, all your leather and rubber will feel soft, and will have a nice even, flat appearance much like the look of a new car interior.