Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Starting a detailing business

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:23 PM

Lightbulb Starting a detailing business

Well I have bee detailing cars off an on for a few years and the other day a few people asked me why am not doing it more and charging more so a good buddy of mine and I are going to do it as a small business on the side. We both have regular jobs and school so this will just be a summer thing till 2pm every day and the weekends. We have a garage and almost all the stuff to do it and allready have TEN cars lined up and we are a month out from starting it. We have been told we are very good and fast and that we will make good money at it so we hope it will work out.
This is what I am thinking for pricing:

Basic wash and interior cleaning $40 done while you wait

Full interor exterior detail- $100 (NXT), door jams, ect

SUV's and large trucks add $20

Smokers add $30

Engine cleaning add $20

Leather and or chrome add $20 (I may just have the included)

We will split cost of supplies and use NXT for now so the cost will be low then have the option of Zaino and I hear it does not last as long so it would help build the business.

The people I have asked so far said those would be good deals. What do you guys think? Should we charge more for engine, smokers, ect??? $30 more for everything Zaino to cover the increase in supply cost????

The way we are planing it is both of us wash the car, then one of us jump in and start working the inside and the other work the outside, then when the interior is done split the engine compartment and the wheels. On my own I can do a non somoker interior in an hour if its not a complete mess so I think 2 hours with a car that is not a complete mess with two people is do able and since we will be spliting the cost of supplies and now how to use just enough and not to much there will be more profit.

Your thoughts or suggestions????

P.S. I have been doing some searches and found some good stuff. I just wanted to get some additional input.

Last edited by YZF/LS1 Freak; 04-15-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:43 PM

1 suggestion always know what your doing. cause if you dont have the rights to be a business and something meses up its your A$$
2. Remember its not what you use its how you use it. be reasonable at attacking certian problems with paint or carpet stains or headliner. so as long as you know how everything works you should be ok. there are some situations where claying and nxt'ing will not fix certain paints require certain attention Single/2 stage paints.
3. never work with someone who is going to scam you. ive been detailing cars for about 7 years and the last time i helped someone learn they ran off on me and started their own business
4. never work with someone who doesnt have the same dedication to detailing as you do other wise the vehicle will come out differently on both sides in other words the customer may not tell but if you have any kind of contious you will know
5. never work with someone who doesnt do the work as good as you do then youll have to pick up the slack.
6. consider overhead costs. ive spend thousands on detail products to do everything. my profit is coming along with spring and summer and all.
7. enojoy your self and make sure your not in it for the $ cause if you are youll rush yourself and eventually come across that customer thats a bit more meticulous than you are and thats what you dont want.

other than that enjoy and go make some money

Good Luck
Old 04-16-2004, 08:35 AM

I agree, it looks like I may be doing it on my own all for the same reasons you posted. I did make the mistake or showing someone how to use Zaino a while back and he ran off and is now making killer money ir so I hear. Thanks for the input
Old 04-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

Question Re: Starting a detailing business

Originally posted by YZF/LS1 Freak
Smokers add $30
WOW...is that common practice among detail shops?

If I was a smoker and someone told me that it was going to cost an additional $30 just because of that, I would walk.

Or maybe you just seriously don't want to detail a smokey car and $30 is just anough to make you go through with it?

Just curious.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:32 PM

Re: Re: Starting a detailing business

Originally posted by JasonD
WOW...is that common practice among detail shops?

If I was a smoker and someone told me that it was going to cost an additional $30 just because of that, I would walk.

Or maybe you just seriously don't want to detail a smokey car and $30 is just anough to make you go through with it?

Just curious.
I have to agree; however, I have seen where some smokers just let things go and they have ashes everywhere. I used to smoke and I have let things go and it is a PITA to get things back to an acceptable situation. I have also seen people who live down a dirt road and don't smoke who's interiors leave alot to be desired. Personally, I would not tack on an extra amount because they are a smoker. Tack on extra because they are a slob .
Old 04-17-2004, 07:37 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Starting a detailing business

Originally posted by RENE95Z
I have to agree; however, I have seen where some smokers just let things go and they have ashes everywhere. I used to smoke and I have let things go and it is a PITA to get things back to an acceptable situation. I have also seen people who live down a dirt road and don't smoke who's interiors leave alot to be desired. Personally, I would not tack on an extra amount because they are a smoker. Tack on extra because they are a slob .
Good point! I wouldn't say "Because you are a smoker, I gotta hit yopu up for $30 more."

Perhaps you can do like the drive-thru car washes do and charge extra for "extra dirty cars" or something like that (try to use wording that is a bit more gentle). It doesn't single them out as much.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:37 PM

check out www.bettercarcare.com

go to the left - professional series and read the "detailing for profit"

it is a very good article
Old 04-19-2004, 08:41 AM

Well I droped the smokers price down to 20 bucks, I have two smoker jobs lines up and they were happy with 20.
Thanks for the link
Old 04-19-2004, 12:27 PM

no prob bob
Old 04-19-2004, 12:40 PM

Ok, after reading that article a few times over I have a few questions.

Its says Vacuum/hand wash 25-40 bucks
Engine detailing 40-55
Full detail 100-150

Now, I assume the full detail would be engine, interior (steam cleaning included), and exterior included (along whith wheels and tires and all) but how far do you go on the paint??? Full clay bar and NXT job??? or just a nice cleaning and basic wax then charge more for NXT or zaino job???

A few people think I should charge $70-$80 for a nice interior job along with a basic engine cleaning (power wash) and good exterior job and wax and they said they would happily pay that for that kind of work then $150 for all that but with a NXT or Zaino job.

Your thoughts???

I have also found a way to be mobile as long as they provide a water spicket and an electrical plug.

Last edited by YZF/LS1 Freak; 04-19-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:23 PM

If you are getting serious, go to a detailer supplier who does not sell to the general public. They will have products that are just as good as the high end stuff sold to the general public, but for a much lower cost.
Also, you need to learn how to buff if you want to get some cars with crappy paint to come back to life, my boss at my detail shop took classes at our community college to learn how to buff. Any car he buffs will look awesome.
As far as pricing, I'd charge a set amount for the serivce and then tack on extra $$$ for larger vechiles or if it is really a mess or charge extra $$$ for buffing. I'd also charge more for a black car too.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by AronZ28
If you are getting serious, go to a detailer supplier who does not sell to the general public. They will have products that are just as good as the high end stuff sold to the general public, but for a much lower cost.
Also, you need to learn how to buff if you want to get some cars with crappy paint to come back to life, my boss at my detail shop took classes at our community college to learn how to buff. Any car he buffs will look awesome.
As far as pricing, I'd charge a set amount for the serivce and then tack on extra $$$ for larger vechiles or if it is really a mess or charge extra $$$ for buffing. I'd also charge more for a black car too.
Could you post some links to some dealers???
Thanks

P.S. I agree on charging more for black cars
Old 04-19-2004, 09:08 PM

i wouldnt charge xtra for black... IMHO its the same. If you want to be a detailer you shouldnt take it out on them since its black. does that mean youll charge them less if its white any way check out this guys site

ultimatereflections.net

this is anthonys business and he IS a bad *** he can do anything so check it out but thats a professional price range. if you arent going to consider your self a professional i dont honestly think you should charge professional rates. but if its a weekend thing you might want to go a bit less but becareful you dont over book yourself. This guy anthony charges 400 something for a detail he did for a dentist he is that much in demand and knows how to work everything even a rotory. man with 15 years experience hes gotten Texas best detailer in some carwash magazine NOW thats professional
Old 04-19-2004, 09:47 PM

Good idea about the extra for smokers. I can't tell you how disgusting some smokers cars get. I've detailed cars that have windows you can barely see out of from all the nicotine. Just a heads up, cloth interiors + animals= a PITA.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:25 PM

I'd change it to dark colors and black...

NBM can be rough...

Quick Reply: Starting a detailing business