Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

so many kits to chose, which one?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 PM

so many kits to chose, which one?!

http://www.autogeek.net/po.html

trying to figure which would be the best one for me but so many to chose from? Im a PC noob but fast learner with 2 cars to keep shiny and perhaps working on others on the side
Old 10-03-2008, 12:42 PM

you will be fine with the starter kit. I mean i have every pad but im a nut so its different. You ll wish you bought one a yr ago when you finally get it. They are nice machines.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 PM

I don't see the kit I started with but I'd look for one with a light cutting pad to use with a swirl remover, a polishing pad for a polish, and a finishing pad for glazes or wax (although I usually wax by hand). The Perfect Starter Kit looks like a good choice but I'd also buy an orange light cutting pad.
Also, if you can wait a couple months, it might be worth while to see what kind of Christmas specials they have.
And if I can make a recommendation for polishes, check out Menzerna's products http://www.properautocare.com/mengerbespol.html
I use the Intensive Polish w/ orange pad, Final Polish II w/ white pad, and Finishing Touch Glaze w/ gray pad and love the results.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:12 PM

heres some pics of the paint on my trans am. basically what will I need to bring it back to life

heavily neglected, severe water spots, faded and heavily swirled. Water doesnt even bead off it anymore *sigh*
Old 10-05-2008, 10:34 PM

Just going by the pics, I think you're pretty much ****ed on that rear bumper.
As for the rest, i'd give what i posed a shot. A clay bar then a good swirl remover and polish with the right pads, then wax should clean things up pretty nice. Menzerna has a couple other polishes out that should be pretty good. I just bought the PO106FF and green pad but haven't tried it out yet and the Super Intensive Polish sounds like it should be pretty effective.
Like I said, I've had good results with the combo I posted. My sisters car had some crappy one stage paint that looked and felt like chalk and I was able to get it smooth and shiny my first time using my PC.
anyway, here's what I would attack that with (I only really have experience with menzerna products but there's others out that set up in similar stages):
wash
clay bar
menzerna intensive polish w/ orange light cutting pad on 3.5-4 setting
menzerna final polish II w/ white polishing pad
menzerna finishing touch glaze w/ gray pad. this is optional but it'll help fill in remaining swirls and scratches
2 coats of wax.

that link I posted has a lot of good info and direction for use of the products with pics.

Last edited by Pyro97; 10-05-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 PM

Zack,

I was in your position not too long ago. I bought the PC Perfect starter kit along with Cobra waffle towels for drying; 3 orange 6.5" buffer pads and 3M rubbing compound & scratch remover. I also had a complete Zaino package I bought a few months prior.

I spent the majority on Saturday washing the car with Z3, completely drying the car (the cobra towels do an awesome job) then the fun began. I started with the orange pad with the 3M rubbing compound and went over the entire car making sure to be a little aggressive. Wiped the car down; started to look a little better. Moved onto the 3M scratch remover on the black 6.5" pad (which comes with the PC starter kit) and went to town. This step I did twice just for good measure and since the paint was pretty tired. The car looked 5x better after this step from when I first started. At this point I was shot and I was starting to lose daylight, so I parked the car in the garage till Sunday.

Over the course of the day on Sunday, I applied 3 coats on Z2 w/ ZFX and the final product absolutely blew me away considering how my car looked before I started. I have a dark car (NBM) and the paint literally turned into a mirror finish with 99.9% of blemishes gone! I really couldn't be happier with the turn out.

Cliffnotes:

Porter Cable Start kit + 3M products + Zaino FTMFW!

(I'll post pictures when I get home from work.)
Old 10-06-2008, 01:20 PM

hmm, sounds like some good info

I was just looking to get this, since its got lots of stuff already
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-por...w-car-kit.html

but if you feel I can tackle the terrible condition with just some 3M and zaino, I might get the starter and put the rest towards zaino and just pick up some 3M compound from autozone
Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 PM

I'd be real careful about aggressively polishing a finish that neglected, it seems that the clear has just about completely deteriorated in some places leaving only bare color (and not even that on the bumper!), in which case the PC and polishes may do more harm than good. The PC is a great tool but don't overestimate it; a machine polisher is no substitute for a spray booth.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM

i would wet sand the whole car with 3k paper then heavy duty compound, then a medium cut, then so on and so on.

That doesnt look good man. Sanding will extend what you can do with the PC.