Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

priming for the 1st time...have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 PM

priming for the 1st time...have a couple questions

im working on a 88 iroc. i primed the front bumber cover,and fenders,hood. the hood and fenders came out pretty good.however the bumber cover,some spider cracks showed up...before i primed it,i couldnt feel the cracks,however after i primed it,you can see them pretty good,and feel them now.. question is,can i simply add a few more primer coats to those areas,or should i try a skim coat of body filler?

also, painting it with summit paint system,urethane. viper red.
i am planning on paint the parts at seperate times,because i only have a 30 gal air compressor,and it would be able to keep up with the parts all together,any problem with doing it this way? the paint isnt metallic or anything like that,just straight viper red. thanks alot
Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM

Re: priming for the 1st time...have a couple questions

I would highly recommend using some stripper (aircraft remover) and get all that old paint / primer off. Something underneath is causing that to crack. If you were to fill it with primer, it would be a matter of time before it cracked and delaminates.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM

thanks for the reply. and for an update. i decided to have my neighbor give me a hand "he paints pretty freq." anyways the car is done,except for cutting and buffing. probably going to wait till spring for that.
but the paint job turned out really well.the paint filled really good,and covered nicely. he uses ppg omni on most of his paint jobs.and says the summit line was comparable,exspecially for the price. as soon as we get a decent day that i can get the car out of the garage,im going to take some pics of my 1st paint job,and ill post them up,so everyone that wants to save a few dollars can see what the results can be. i had approx. $400-450 in materials for my complete paint job.cant beat it.... only thing i would have done differently would have been to keep it the original color "black" i was just afraid to paint black for my first time....
Old 12-13-2011, 03:32 PM

still putting her back together but here is some pics.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:30 AM

Not too bad pimpin did you get any runs in the clear?
Old 12-23-2011, 06:13 PM

thanks,it was a great learning expierence,and cant wait to do it again.... i have an 88 gt mustang,im going to tackle this spring. will see how that turns out. but anyway i did get 1 run in it,and its on the drivers side b pillar.but it was on the 3rd coat of clear if i remember right. so shouldnt have any problem wetsanding it out,and buffing. it turned out really well, not to much dirt either. gotta learn how to wet sand and buff now...lol but gotta learn somehow...thanks for the compliment.