Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Painting my tail panel (for the 3rd time)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 PM

So long story short, I am on a mission to get this thing done correctly. I managed to ruin the clear coat a few days ago with some adhesive remover.. so I sanded it down back to the black paint and sprayed a nice coat or two tonite.. a lightning bug flew into it.. (indoors.....) and I wet sanded to the point where its now fixed. Tommorow I was planning on shooting one more coat of black. On top of the black I was going to do the coats of clear.

Do I wet sand the last caot of black before the clear coat??? If so to what grit and do I need to do anything special before spraying the clear. I have read either do not wet sand the top coat of base and also that you can if you need to fix imperfections. There will be imperfections.. I am very much a beginer at this but I want the practice.

After I get the first coat of clear, I sand between coats correct? I have 1000,1500, and 2000 grit wet paper, should I use all of them between coats or not? The top coat I know I should sand down till its smooth (and looks like crap) buff it out and hopefully it will turn out way less orange pealed then the first time..

Thanks for baring with my noviceness... but I want this to look great.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 AM

You can wetsand the black before you spray the 3rd coat of black. If you lay down the 3rd coat of black with no problems - then you can apply the clearoat without having to sand the the black.

You don't have to wetsand the clear between coats. Lay down two wet coats of clear (allow flash time betwen coats) and then you can wetsand & buff the orange peel or dirt out of it - usually after 24 hours.

It sounds like you're taking too many steps.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:58 PM

Thanks, its just confusing hearing so many different ways to do this. Thanks, I'll let ya know how it goes!